Author Topic: Racist images of indigenous people in car ads  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Racist images of indigenous people in car ads
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:07 am »
When I'm sitting through tv ads, I sometimes think "Either they're insane, or I am". It's them:

http://climatedenial.org/2007/08/26/live-wild-and-die/

For French speakers:

http://www.lalliance.fr/xmedia/atelier_BVP/publicites.html

Scroll down to Images des peuples premiers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:00:10 am by Barnaby_McEwan »

Leonard

Re: Racist images of indigenous people in car ads
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:00:05 am »
Yes, those are pretty bad. I think the worst is 'heyoka'. If I understand correctly: Heyoka, approximately translated from Lakota, means ‘contrarian’ or ‘sacred clown’.

Leonard.

<edit>

Hey, Barnaby. ... how about a little 'mischief' ? just to play the 'devil's advocate' for a moment (if this will not get us into too much trouble with 'educatedindian') - let's drop this 'racist' automobile ad into the 'fraud section' and let the 'search engines' of the world see this one !  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:09:21 pm by Leonard »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
They are bad
of course the rest of world has little knowledge of the real people.
In Spirit

frederica

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
I remember some years ago one of the Japanese car makers came out with a SUV called the "Navajo", it had some strange commerical with blurred images of the southwest and dancers and of course music. The Nation requested it be removed from the air and they{the company} did comply. It was off the air as fast as it came on. They didn't have permission from the start.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:05:08 pm »
The search engines will see it just as easily in this section, Leonard.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:38:41 pm »
- a bit of track but it's in line with alot of  the 4WD and 4 Wheeler commercials showing these vehicles ripping and tearing up the earth at high speeds, pushing images of conquest and the right to exploit rather than participation and coexistance with natural forces. IMO there should be large areas in the national parks that are totally off limits to all humans except the occasional Ranger that must check things out from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:50:06 pm by Kevin »

Offline PaxMan

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »
...wish the Mohawks had had that kid of fast corporate backpeddling when Mohawk Tires came out.  Never did understand why plastering a Mohawk on a rubber tire would increase sales appeal? And then there used to be Navajo AirConditioners - at a time when the average Navajo income was $400 per year and the airconditioner costs nearly that much. And don't get me started on Cherokee Red Pop....and Eskimo Pies. There was a gal at KSU who did a documentary back in the 1970's - she went into a small town grocery strore and filmed every image there was of American Indians. There were dozens! Then she tried to replicate that with other races, and there was Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima, and Chun King, and that was about it. Almost all of the images of Indians were offensive and none of the Native people had had ANY input or control over how and who used those images.

Point being: If I had a voice among the Caddo, I would do exactly what they are doing, and after that route was exhausted, I would then try to get LEGAL control over USE of my tribal name - so that those who DID use it, wojld have to meet with the Nation's approval, maybe pay royalties, have time terms on the usage.

THAT would stand a better chance of surviving the gauntlet of the American N Justice System.