Author Topic: Something from my 'White' Culture - How would you evaluate this ?  (Read 6964 times)

Leonard

Sent: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:58 pm
Subject: a riddle & a wish

Can you answer this riddle? 

What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, The poor have it, 

The rich need it, And if you eat it, you'll die?                                                                                                           

Here is a pretty neat little thing from Paul Harvey. See if you can     

guess the riddle at the end.                                       

Paul Harvey Writes:                           

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them 

worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.               

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade

ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.     

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn   

honesty by being cheated.                       

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.

And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your

old dog put to sleep.                         

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.   

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And

it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the   

room,but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's

scared, I hope you let him.                       

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag

along, I hope you'll let him/her.                   

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you

live in a town where you can do it safely. !             

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your

driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with   

someone as uncool as your Mom.                     

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one 

instead of buying one.                         

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.           

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and   

subtract in your head.                         

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on

a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what 

ivory soap tastes like.                         

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove 

and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.               

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.. And

if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not 

your friend.                               

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa 

and go fishing with your Uncle.                     

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.     

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your

neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at       

Hannukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work

and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.             

Written with a pen. Sealed with a kiss. I'm here for you. And if I die

before you do, I'll go to heaven and wait for you.           

Send this to all of your friends. We secure our friends, not by     

accepting favors, but by doing them.                 

Paul Harvey RIDDLE:                           

When asked this riddle, 80% of kindergarten kids got the answer,   

compared to 17% of Stanford University seniors.             

What is greater than God, More evil than the devil, The poor have it, 

The rich need it, And if you eat it, you'll die?   

(The answer is 'nothing')         

<edit> ... and in case you are wondering if I have a 'point' to this, yes I do. I am learning a lot in reading the things here and I see something about my own 'white' culture: we need to develop our own 'path' and quit stealing from others. I think that every people and culture has it's own wisdom and it's own leaders and we need to leave other people alone.

... and can you explain this things to me ?

Ma question est au ‹ l'un a instruit › ; pourquoi avons-nous besoin de combattre ? quand nous habitons sur le même monde, avoir le même « dieu », et chercher la même « vérité » ?

... and please 'forgive' me for this video - we all want something - what 'it' is; we do not know - but I think that we all need to quit exploiting other people to find 'it'  =>  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-Q2rDd6Tw
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:04:41 pm by Leonard »

Offline A.H.

Re: Something from my 'White' Culture - How would you evaluate this ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:56:09 pm »
Nice thinking, but the conclusions that incorporate divisions - black-white are not so useful... ours - yours - their path, our path - we are one people with different variations...

Actually what you expressed is very similar to the Buddhist ideas about "nothingness"... So - not your / our "white culture" at all.

Also the great minds like Nietzche, Jung and many others "borrowed" the core of their ideas from the eastern philosophy. I just blame them not to note that more obviously in the footnotes...

Also all the big religions that are the core of "western" spirituality, moral and culture come from the "East" - they were not started in Europe by the "white men".  We had pagan rituals here - I am sure sorry we don't have them anymore :)

BTW - just for fun - I feel ugly when we are referred to as white man - the so-called caucasians are more pinkish, yellowish hue and sometimes brown... Can be colour any factor at all? It just deals with the climate you are born into.

I think we should "steal" even more - but fairly - to learn from everyone who know more than us - why run in circles and try to reinvent something other cultures have known for centuries or millenia?

Global communication allow even more borrowing - it shouldn't be stealing - we shoudl just respect each other and give information cross-culutrally and develop an even more profound worldview. The problem is that Western civilization has all the material goods and much greed, but lacks so much "spirituality". The so-called third world lacks material good badly, but has older and deeper traditional practices that incorporate direct experiences and not just mediated spirituality as we have it in our Churches. 

When we cross this division things will be much better I hope.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:59:45 pm by A.H. »

Leonard

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:33:38 pm »
... an interesting line of reasoning - I would like to hear more about this. What is your exact solution ?

Leonard.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:50:11 am by Leonard »

Offline A.H.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:06:54 pm »
I still respect this guy - even though he seems a little dubious... and those funny vintage footage doesn't help at all. I guess he had the worst possible superficial followers.  He was beyond all that spiritual garbage I guess. Unfortunately he was so beyond it that he couldn't articulate it well anymore later... And that is also the effect of using something without knowing much about it beforehand. No tradition... But he was still very smart.

But science and the history of ideas has come a little further... If you suggested youtube:

Maybe I mean more something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85kY_1aL98

and for childern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHc67Hep48&feature=related

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFYVbVtFXY&feature=related

It is not bad science, but those are educational programmes...

Science still just asks questions, little things are discovered, but some greater discoveries are still to be done...
We know very little...

etc. etc.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:08:51 pm by A.H. »

Leonard

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:13:35 pm »

Leonard.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:50:37 am by Leonard »

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

That's enough drug nonsense
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:43:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum, A. H. Try reading Robert Greenfield's biography of Timothy Leary. See if you can still respect him then.

If you absolutely must talk further with other forum members about drugs, use private messages. I am already tired of it.

Offline A.H.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:59:15 pm »
I won't write anymore about that and I apologize for making you bored. I end it here.

I will check this book just to gain knowledge. I am otherwise not too interested in T. Leary, just didnt' percieve him as bad until now and upon what I knew from the cultural history.

I hope somebody read also something else in my posts...  It is not about the drugs only. And calling ayahusca or salvia divinorum that is not telling much about them... and is far from the whole truth.

And debate could be on some different levels, but anyway. I should get used to getting no help anywhere about this topic. It is either too pro or too contra and very little credible information.

I stay alone, no problem, been there for some 20 seeking years.

best regards

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:28 pm »
Nice thinking, but the conclusions that incorporate divisions - black-white are not so useful... ours - yours - their path, our path - we are one people with different variations...

Actually what you expressed is very similar to the Buddhist ideas about "nothingness"... So - not your / our "white culture" at all.

Also the great minds like Nietzche, Jung and many others "borrowed" the core of their ideas from the eastern philosophy. I just blame them not to note that more obviously in the footnotes...

Also all the big religions that are the core of "western" spirituality, moral and culture come from the "East" - they were not started in Europe by the "white men".  We had pagan rituals here - I am sure sorry we don't have them anymore :)

BTW - just for fun - I feel ugly when we are referred to as white man - the so-called caucasians are more pinkish, yellowish hue and sometimes brown... Can be colour any factor at all? It just deals with the climate you are born into.

I think we should "steal" even more - but fairly - to learn from everyone who know more than us - why run in circles and try to reinvent something other cultures have known for centuries or millenia?

Global communication allow even more borrowing - it shouldn't be stealing - we shoudl just respect each other and give information cross-culutrally and develop an even more profound worldview. The problem is that Western civilization has all the material goods and much greed, but lacks so much "spirituality". The so-called third world lacks material good badly, but has older and deeper traditional practices that incorporate direct experiences and not just mediated spirituality as we have it in our Churches. 

When we cross this division things will be much better I hope.

You the reason why my people fight so hard to protect our culture, another fast fix person.

In Spirit

Offline A.H.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »
I give up. 

Leonard

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
Thank you.