Author Topic: Computers & Internet = 'Iktomi' ?  (Read 5255 times)

Leonard

Computers & Internet = 'Iktomi' ?
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »
I have a friend who is the director of a charity which I think is legitimate and this charity helps to provide direct assistance to the people on Pine Ridge Reservation.

A few months ago, while on Pine Ridge, she was invited to a community gathering and allowed to listen in on the community discussion.

The topic moved onto a discussion about computers and the internet and some of the more traditional people voiced their opinion that this technology was 'iktomi', or evil.

I was of the opinion, previously, that computers and the internet was of great potential and might be a useful tool to the people, but an having second thoughts about that.

Has any one else on the reservations any opinions pro or con on this subject ?

Leonard.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Computers & Internet = 'Iktomi' ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:45:50 pm »
I live on the Port Madison (SUquamish) rez. They have bought a bus and set up a mobile computer lab. On the Port Gamble S'Klallam rez, they have a teen center with a computer lab. I think you will find that different tribes have different ideas.

Leonard

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:16 pm »
Thank you for the information. When I was a volunteer with 'ONE Spirit' as administrative assistant and computer person, the director and I went to Allen, SD at the invitation of the local 'CAP' administration to help set up an art program for the youth to help divert them away from all the drugs, gangs, and etc., but the program did not get off the ground as Jeri Baker, John DuBray (President of Pass Creek District), and I had originally planned.

This is why I was having second thoughts perhaps because Jeri and I are 'out-siders' and maybe were ignorant of some cultural factors that we did not see when attempting to set up a local school-to-school internet art program with school children in Liverpool, UK.

I would really like some information about your computer set-up and any suggestions that you might have, if appropriate here, because Jeri is still trying to get that going for the kids on Pine Ridge through the 'Buffalo Children's Society', as named by John DuBray.

Thank you,

Leonard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:55:31 pm by Leonard »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:41 am »
I am not a member of either tribe, so they are not "my" set uups. However, you could email the tribes yourself and ask.

Suquamish Tribe:
http://www.suquamish.nsn.us/tc1.htm

Port Gamble S'Klallam:

http://www.pgst.nsn.us/new-content/contact/contact.php

I forgot to add that the S'Klallams put in fiber optics and plan to make it possible for every home on the rez will be able to hook into high speed internet.

Leonard

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:33:02 am »
Thank you.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:20:12 pm »
I will say that maybe you misunderstood what is being said.
Iktomi means the trickster and computer are the trickster look
at what happens to our history on the net it has given people
the right to lie to their fellow man.
We can use the computer for the benfits of the people but
frist we must be taught that everything on the net is not true.
To look at it as the trickster.
In Spirit

Leonard

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:20 pm »
Thank you for this perspective from within your own culture. I suspected this, but I am just a 'white guy' - I do not know.  http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Iktomi

I just want some 'truth' to figure this 'thing' out for my self - and with no offence to any other people and culture.

I have no 'name', no 'cause', no 'shaman web-site' - just want to know 'something'.

Leonard.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:01:52 am by Leonard »