Author Topic: I a seeker of truth  (Read 3924 times)

Offline homeschoolie

I a seeker of truth
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:07:23 pm »
I very seriously need physical and spiritual healing ...soooo I started a very long and complicated search through all Spiritual Practices, beliefs  and religious teachings...the more I search the more insanely complicated and confusing it gets. I earnestly, sincerely, and dedicatedly tried several of them for for a very long time. Not one gave the results they were claimed to be able to achieve.

And, of course, as you all know, most of it is a mish mash of trying to mix together and throw in something for everyone from numerous beliefs and spiritual practices. Most of it is about making money and selling their books/tapes/videos/classes/retreats etc. It is total insanity.

There were some beliefs and practices I did NOT pursue. Shamanism was one that never even came to my attention or registered on my radar screen.. Until recently when I noticed it even exists. I have been taking a dig deep, long hard look at it.

I was already very suspicious about everything/everyone I was seeing out there. Especially when they were trying to mix it all together with several or all of the New-Agey and other religious beliefs/practices. Good grief, what does acupuncture, crystals, essential oils, and a whole bunch of other stuff,  have to do with Medicine Men (I know there are other names they use besides this one) healing their tribe members now or thousands of years ago. And making real contact with real spirits etc.

I accidently bumped into this site while searching Fake Shaman(ism). This website validates that I was not wrong...most (all ?) of it (out there) is fake.

Sigh... I hoped I might have finally found the Real help I need! I really need to have Spirit(s) heal my body and soul.

Offline Sparks

Re: I a seeker of truth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:26:32 am »
Very good introduction! For 25 years or more, up to 40 years, I was in the same situation.

I am glad you found the NAFPS site, which has cleared up so many things for me. It's an invaluable site.

As for me, I have for some forty years researched shamanism from an academic and scholarly point of view. Almost all of the neo-shamanic stuff available on the Internet is … , well, bullshit.

Offline homeschoolie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:49 pm »
Thank you Sparks for reading my post and your kind reply.

I do have a question though...Can Medicine Men from a tribe help contact healing spirits and spirit guides for me even though I am from another Tribes Ancestry ?

When I spoke with my father he said my grandfather was Cherokee/Crow, and I cant remember the third, but it also starts with letter C. And my Grandmother was Cree I think he said. I would need to dig through boxes looking for the census records and notes I wrote after we talked to find the last tribe name. I do remember that all started with letter C. But we don't live where these tribes are. We have West Coast tribes here. And unfortunately it doesn't seem like they have continued with those traditions/practices. But maybe they just don't let it be known that they still do.

Thanks for any help/insight you can give me.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:48:47 pm »
Most tribes don't let outsiders know what they are doing. The are ways you could get in touch with them,  but it depends on where you are. There are public things like pow wows, canoe journeys etc where you can meet people,  and if you are respectful and take time to know the people,  you may find what you are looking for. It takes time.

For me, personally,  I found healing walking in the woods and connecting with nature. Some find it through prayer and meditation.  Everyone is different. What this board CAN do is steer you away from people who could make things worse.

May I ask where you are?