General > Frauds

Laura Dorn AKA Windwalker and the MCW, Wind Spirit Drum

<< < (3/13) > >>

Epiphany:
In a 2001 brief news bit she was Laura Windwalker Dorn, from Lisbon Ohio.

Dorn in an interview (as Windwalker) for someone's 2003 thesis said her family denied NDN heritage and she did not find out she was NDN til later in life. The author also notes that Dorn's hair is noticeably dyed a darker color. http://shelf1.library.cmu.edu/HSS/a986155/a986155.pdf

She is said to have been somehow involved with the United Eastern Lenape Nation in the past.

She claims she is a third generation medicine woman, I think through her mother, and maternal grand mother.

In her stepfather's 2010 obit she is Laura Beth Dorn. http://www.hathawayfunerals.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/548603 Her mother's birth name Bertha B. McCann. If I've pieced this all together correctly, not seeing any recent NDN heritage.

She says she is a licensed massage therapist, that should be verified before paying her for a massage.

Her husband Edoul Spirit Buffalo, who I believe is Edward Dorn, says his NDN heritage is through his mother, of  Maine. I can see the Maine connection, but not NDN.

About that charity:

--- Quote ---Carl Blackhawk Patton
carl@blueskycharity.org
http://www.blueskycharity.org

Wednesday May 6, 2009
9:52 AM
Osiyo! Just wanted to introduce myself. A great friend of mine, Windwalker Dorn, who is a board member of our nonprofit charity, asked me to introduce myself. She met Patrick Doyle last weekend in Taos during filming of a music video, and a subsequent appearance on your radio program. She was so excited to meet the great people at your station! Our charity, Blue Sky Charities Group, provides humanitarian aid, and improved educational opportunities for Native American children. Please let me know if you have a specific group of children that need clothes, toys....We have been helping the children in New Mexico (Socorro), and Pineridge (S.D.). Bless you! Carl Patton
--- End quote ---

http://198.143.160.42/~patri695/NativeRadio.com/images/guestbook/guestbook-14.html

Blue Sky Charities Group was a Virginia corporation, president Carl O. Patton.

Diana:
I started to skim over that thesis, and when I saw the author thanking those people with newage phony baloney Indian names I stopped. Was this thesis published?? I hope not.

Diana

Epiphany:

--- Quote from: Diana on February 05, 2014, 05:47:36 am ---I started to skim over that thesis, and when I saw the author thanking those people with newage phony baloney Indian names I stopped. Was this thesis published?? I hope not.

Diana

--- End quote ---

I'm curious if she asked for anyone's legal names, seems like that would be important for her work. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe for informants this is fine?

Don't know anything else about the thesis, found it when looking for info on Windwalker, and just skimmed through quick for that info.

Diana:

--- Quote from: Piff on February 05, 2014, 06:21:27 am ---
--- Quote from: Diana on February 05, 2014, 05:47:36 am ---I started to skim over that thesis, and when I saw the author thanking those people with newage phony baloney Indian names I stopped. Was this thesis published?? I hope not.

Diana

--- End quote ---

I'm curious if she asked for anyone's legal names, seems like that would be important for her work. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe for informants this is fine?

Don't know anything else about the thesis, found it when looking for info on Windwalker, and just skimmed through quick for that info.

--- End quote ---

I started reading her thesis and it's obvious she was totally clueless. I'm too tired tonight I'll read some more tomorrow. I also looked up  Laura windwalker Dorn's great grandparents on her mother's fathers side, they are from Ireland and England.

Diana 

educatedindian:

Diana

--- End quote ---

This was an undergraduate student's senior thesis, not from a master's program. Still, the most basic academic research says you need signed releases from those you interview, and she'd have the legal names of all involved.

The student, Christine Strellec, actually dissects groups like the UELN pretty well, shows them to be blustery and unconcerned with much of anything besides people with distant claims or outright pretenders trying desperately to convince themselves. UELN leaders demanded everyone address them as "honored chiefs" and constantly ranted about "lack of respect." ::) That must get tedious real quick...

Dorn actually said to Strellec over the phone prior to meeting that she feared how obvious it was she did not appear Native. Strellec wrote for several pages how defensive all these pretenders were about their appearance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version