General > Non-Frauds

For Those Who Recently Discovered Indian Ancestry

<< < (4/7) > >>

Synapsis:
nevermind

Tsu Dho Nimh:

--- Quote from: educatedindian on February 09, 2007, 03:55:03 pm ---PODIAs (People Of Distant Indian Ancestry)
--- End quote ---

I thought PODIA was "Person Of Dubious/Doubtful Indian Ancestry"

seekingtruth:
Is it ever the case that a person with no NDA ancestry is ever adopted by a nation?

earthw7:
go to this topic

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1294.0

Doucet_Indian:
Hi:

I wanted to bring up a point about this subject as it pertains to me. My situation is kind of the opposite of most. I didn't go searching for my Native culture, it has come looking for me.

I am from Louisiana, and am of Acadian descent. My family has always known we had Indian blood on both sides of the family, and I always assumed it was Louisiana Indian. A couple of years ago, I starting researchin my background and was surprised. My family is actually Mi'kmaq, as are many Acadians. I didn't have just one ancestor who was Indian, but many, and all are very well documented. Most of these ancestors were Indian women who married Frenchmen, which was very common. I was really surprised when I had my YDNA tested, and the results came back Indian. My surname is Doucet, and more research has revealed that many Mi'kmaq share that surname.

Although I have always been interested in Indian culture, I have always had a distaste for "plastic" Indians and New Agers who exploit Indian culture. I have actually been approached by Mi'kmaq in Nova Scotia about enrolling in a band.

There has been somewhat of a battle going on up there between Mi'maq and some Euro-centric Acadian researchers. When I shared my DNA results, I started hearing from some of these researchesrs who claimed that my DNA results were wrong. All of this has been interesting to say the least.

So, what am I doing? I am letting them take the lead. I would never presume to barge into the culture claiming that I am entitled. Overall I would have to say that this has been a positive experience so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version