Author Topic: Dancing With a Ghost: Exploring Indian Reality  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
Dancing With a Ghost: Exploring Indian Reality
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:24:53 am »
I am currently reading this book and it is probably the best one I have ever read on beginning to understand the Native view(s) and why there is so much conflict, not only between Natives and non-natives but also between the various Native cultures.  I would value your opinion on it, please.

Dancing With a Ghost: Exploring Indian Reality

Rupert Ross

ISBN: 0409906484

Reviews

Rupert Ross, with a lot of help from Native elders, illuminates the chasm between Native & non-Native world views. The book demonstrates through his experiences as Assistant Crown Attorney in Ontario, and as North Country fishing guide, his realization that intuition and feeling are as important as, and sometimes superior to, the old English rational intellectual approach to human affairs. Chapter 6, "Being Indian Is a State of Mind" is worth the price of the whole book. Bravo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is simply no other book that deals so effectively with creating a structure to understand the native American world view. This is an absolute must read for anyone interested in American Indians and justice in Indian country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got it wrong,
If you read Rupert Ross' next book Returning to the teaching, he writes how he got it wrong in this book about the upbringing of Indian children, he talks about the three legged stool, read the book to find out more.

Returning to the teachings: Exploring aboriginal justice
ISBN: 0140258701
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Dancing With a Ghost: Exploring Indian Reality
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:32:43 pm »
I haven't read it, but I did hear a presentation by someone in Indian Law influenced by his works. There's a lot of discussion in fields like Justice Studies, Criminology, and Social Work about how to apply indigenous concepts of justice, crime, and reddress within Anglo cultures. I recall Huhanna Hickey, a Maori member who hasn't been around in awhile, also discussed some developments like this in her part of the world.

apukjij

Re: Dancing With a Ghost: Exploring Indian Reality
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:54 am »
he has been to Eskasoni, the Elders here invited him here to lecture;
never tries to be indian