Author Topic: Stolen Songs - copyrights and lawsuits  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Stolen Songs - copyrights and lawsuits
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:08 am »
A number of times we've discussed the topic of sacred, traditional songs, stolen and sold to Nuagers, then used for everything from entertainment to fraudulent ceremonies.

The stolen songs of John Around Him were discussed here: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1511

Recently it's come up again, over in the Rachel Holzwarth / White Ego Woman thread: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1513.425 Specifically in this case we may be able to get the copyright holders, publishing company and record company to go after Holzwarth.

Today I looked around some on YouTube. It looks like lots of Nuagers are posting songs, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_o-xGkOIk

While I don't know the story behind these particular YouTube songs, or the people who did the original recordings, it put me in mind that we should be investigating these songs when we come across them for sale or posted online. I'm thinking copyright laws may be one way of taking down some of the appropriators.

Like with Fish and Wildlife and the IRS, sometimes lawsuits and financial penalties are the only way to stop these people.

apukjij

Re: Stolen Songs - copyrights and lawsuits
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:36:15 am »
hi all, i have to agree, yesterday looking at the videos of Ego person, i did click on one other, it was this hollywood Indian video, which is too much in it self, but then this Prayer Chant started playing, i was to a small degree stunned, then i was bewildered, it didnt feel right and i stopped playing the vid,

the link you provided was a song from the Nuage album Sacred Spirits vol1, i do not know if they paid the families for the use of these songs, i just assumed they did for vol 1 and 2.

as for copyright protection on youtube i hear its a big issue, and the record companies feel like no song should be posted with a vid unless they have permission, or the song is on the open domain.

not sure how to tackle these issues, but what i am gonna do is start writing comments about these issues in the comments section of those particular songs but it bothers me to play these videos!

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
We have many people who come and steal songs.
The songs belong to a familiy or a ceremonies
and there are ways to ask for a song but these thief
come and think they can take a song.

I would ask what ceremonie did you do to get that song?
who gave you the right to sing that song?
I have watch an elder cry to find out someone recorded his songs
and then sold them
In Spirit

Offline mtig49

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:58 pm »
If the songs are old it may be a Intellectual Property Issue. Intellectual property (IP) is a legal field that refers to creations of the mind such as musical, literary, and artistic works; inventions; and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce, including copyrights, trademarks, patents, and related rights. Under intellectual property law, the holder of one of these abstract "properties" has certain exclusive rights to the creative work, commercial symbol, or invention which is covered by it. the songs maybe look at as Intellencual Property of the nation that the song came from.
"Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have."

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:58:18 pm »
i have a question to all

the songs that have been passed down from generation to generation
over 10,000 years or more yet they are the same songs
never changing the words remain the same, the meaning remains the same,
the respect and the teaching remains the same
why
for thouse songs came from the creator
for the people

now the same songs are being copied, miss spelled, missprounced, used at the wrong times, for the wrong reasons with no respect and there is no teaching comming from those songs

listen close

the words are being changed, little by little
for the power in the songs that are done without the respect is changing the songs to mean nothing but jiberish , soon the ones that do these songs for money will be doing nothing but vokables

and they are not hurting the true people
the ones that hold the respect and teachings from thouse songs will still know the true way to do the creators songs

all my relations