Author Topic: another wannabe group in Pa/NJ  (Read 20018 times)

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: another wannabe group in Pa/NJ
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 09:17:38 pm »

Been to these grounds, mixed Lakota style Sweats, "scratchings", "doctorings", Mic Mak ceremonial songs and whites stomp dancing, an interesting sight for sure!

the thot plickens....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:15:52 am by wolfhawaii »

Offline Delaware5092

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

Been to these grounds, mixed Lakota style Sweats, "scratchings", "doctorings", Mic Mak ceremonial songs and whites stomp dancing, an interesting sight for sure!

Who was doing the Micmaq songs? And how was this presented?

The songs that I heard were led off by Winston and his "apprentice(?)", one is the "Feast Song", another was used in the "Sweat", and i think one was used during a "doctoring", seems they used them quite some time as most of the folks there knew them...

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:11:12 am »
sounds like they got the eastern door tape
done by george paul

Offline wolfhawaii

hmmm
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:24 pm »
 ;)
I found the paper i was looking for; it was a newsletter put out by this community given to me in 06 by someone familiar with the place. The community is named Yvwiya Gunahita meaning Long Person in Cherokee, a term referring to the personification of the River. David Winston is the ceremonial leader;Dar Khabbaz is listed as being on the Medicine Council. There is also someone else listed as a community member there who is posting here, but i am awaiting clarification on their role in the activities discussed. After reading through their newsletter, it seems to me that they are following the major themes of traditional Cherokee worship, with a few twists that are unfamiliar to me (such as if you kill game or fish 4 days before a ceremony, you cannot dance). The language they are studying is the Giduwah dialect of Cherokee used in portions of the Qualla Boundary.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:27:09 pm by wolfhawaii »

Offline bls926

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:19 am »
Googled Yvwiya Gunahita and found:

White Path Society website:
Who We Are – In the Cherokee (anigituwagi) tradition, the white path (ganvnvi unga) is the path of peace, serenity, harmony, and reciprocity.  It is the way we remake ourselves and become human. We have also chosen this name because it was the name of a traditional Cherokee chief, White Path (b. 1761-d.1838) who led a “rebellion??? in the late 1820’s in which he urged his people to return to their traditional ways and spiritual traditions. The White Path Society is a spiritual community located in the NJ/PA area that follows the ancient traditions and teachings of our Cherokee/gituwha elders and ancestors.  Our community is comprised of Cherokee, Sand Hill Band, Lenape, and other native (and native descent)  peoples as well as non-native people.  We are not a tribe, we are a community of like-minded people working to grow our spirits, serve our tradition, spirit, and the earth (ela).

Our History – The yvwiya gunahita atsila (long person fire) is the first fire or gatiyo (ceremonial ground) of the White Path Society.  Our community was founded 25 years ago by dawi yona:usdi following the advice and direction of his elders in North Carolina.

We have grown from a handful of people to a strong community of 70-80 people. This slow but steady growth has been by word of mouth and this brochure is the first written material we have ever produced.  We are not interested in becoming “ a big organization??? nor are we evangelical.  We have our truths and beliefs, but we recognize that they are our truths and no more true than any other peoples’ truth or spiritual practice. We also believe that our ancient ways can offer substantial benefits to many people in our increasingly stress-filled, polarized, and ego driven society.

http://www.whitepathsociety.org/

Kindred Spirits Fair - Harmony, NJ (2003 & 2004)
Yvwiya Gunahita Singers are the ceremonial drum for the Yvwiya Gunahita Gadugi, a community of Native and non-Native peoples who practice the ancient traditions of the Cherokee Nation. The drummers/singers are of Cherokee, Iroquois, and non-Native descent, and have as many as twenty-five years of experience with Native American music. The group makes several public appearances each year in cultural outreach efforts. The music played is mostly intertribal dance music meant for social gatherings such as pow-wows and with it all carries a strong spiritual traditional message.
Robert Aptaker shares with David Winston, Scott Eggert, Marilynn Winston, Dar Khabbaz, Carol Wickel, Jeff Ramsey, Jodi Kaye and others as drummers and or singers. The performance will include both inter-tribal drumming and Cherokee stomp dancing. You are encouraged to encircle and join in the energy. Contact Scott singingeagle@enter.net

http://www.kindredspiritsfair.com/2003workshop_speakers.htm

Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania
"RISING NATION RIVER JOURNEY"
2006 ANNOUNCEMENTS AND ITINENARY

SPECIAL EVENT - FRIDAY EVENING STOMP DANCE CEREMONY

All are welcome to attend. If you plan on driving to this stop and joining in here, please bring a dish to add to the potluck dinner. Bring folding chairs if you do not want to sit on the ground.

Arrival - after 3 PM   

Things to keep in mind if you would like to take part in the dancing for this evening: 

--no alcohol for 4 days prior

-- No recreational drugs for 4 days prior

--Do not kill for 4 days prior (animals, fish)

--Ladies wear long skirts during the dance

--Men wear long pants during the dance   

A special "Wanishi!" to the Yvwiya Gunahita Community! Skee!

http://www.lenapenation.org/archives.html

While the White Path Society doesn't list David Winston, or anyone else for that matter, as a member of their group, we are able to connect not only Winston but Khabbaz thru the Yvwiya Gunahita Singers. Khabbaz was mentioned on the Jane Ely thread.

Kindred Spirits Fair is questionable at best. I don't know much about them, but they seem a little new agey to me. http://www.kindredspiritsfair.com/

Their connection to the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania is telling. LNP may call themselves a Lenape tribe, but they are not recognized by anyone. Yes, they may fool some, but most know they are part of the wannabe nation.

Edit for typo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 06:45:25 am by bls926 »