Author Topic: The Medicine Way; Weeya Wakee Smith  (Read 33580 times)

Offline flyaway

• "Your mind is your strongest weapon"
The Medicine Way; Weeya Wakee Smith
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:51:20 am »
Would like to know if any body knows anything about this Lady :

My fathers family is Paint Clan, my mothers family is Wolf Clan. Father is Western Band and Mother is Eastern Band. I am Wolf Clan, Eastern Band. I do not claim to be anything other than Agiya Doga Uhusti, my name given to me at the age of 4 in ceremony. I was raised traditional. I am not a Christian nor do I believe in any formal religion. I walk the path my grandmother (Paint Clan) raised me. I am Tsalagi first, a woman second and all else third. I know my people, my family, my lineage as far back to the point of the first contact offer a place of knowledge and growth. I do not charge nor do I disrespect others belief systems for it is theres. The work I do here in my community is not advertised or broadcast. It is all word of mouth. If you are interested in learning, please feel free to join. 
 Walk in Beauty & Light-
Weeya Wakee Smith
Walk with the Sun; Dance with the Moon; Sing with the Stars; But always...Run with the Wind. -
Snow Owl, Nevada. December 8, 2001

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: The Medicine Way; Weeya Wakee Smith
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »
Most of what I found about her were her radio show in Wisconsin and some social networks. What's the concern about her?

http://www.2nativesr1.com/
http://www.nativenetwork.org/WeeyaWakee/
http://www.powwows.com/galleries/member.php?uid=76680&protype=1

This site?
http://themedicineway.wetpaint.com/

I don't see any pay to pray on there. Some stories, some claims about animal spirits. Are some of the teachings inaccurate, or not meant to be heard by outsiders?
I do see some claims about medicine wheels, which are certainly not Cherokee. If you go to Discussions, doesn't seem like she's attracting too many people to her Moon Ceremonies. Less than ten regulars to her site at most.

Offline flyaway

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:09 pm »
Thanks Al,
My concern is that she has not been given the rights to do what she is doing. Her name is Michelle Smith and she is not native at all. Her teachings are not correct, Cherokee do not have moon ceremonies, this is new age, and why if she is cherokee is she teaching Onieda?
I just wondered if anyone on here has heard or met her?
Walk with the Sun; Dance with the Moon; Sing with the Stars; But always...Run with the Wind. -

TRIBALMOONS@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:21:54 am »
I knew her in the old Y360 days. Don't know if she is what she has always claimed to be even then. But to do anything like this online is against Native beliefs. So seems to me she jumped on the "World Wide Web" band wagon.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:53:41 pm »
I find it amazing that no one has their information posted and hide behind ID's. I also find it amazing that this woman claims to know me? As I have roamed through this forum I see so much negativity and spite. How sad. I know who this woman is and why she is making false statements against me. I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for the life you wish you had will never be yours because of the hate you hold in your heart. I do not have too nor will I justify myself to you or anyone else in this forum as none of you are anything more than fonts on a screen with no real pictures or names to back yourselves up. I, however, do put myself out there. I do nothing for profit ever! I have permission to speak on the things I speak on. We (my family & myself) are enrolled Tsalagi people and shame on this lady for saying such things. You do not know me, you have never stood in front of me, and you know nothing of the teachings of my people. The only thing you know is my English name that I have not used for many years and only go by my Native name given to me during ceremony when I was a child. You have told on yourself and who you are to me because of this. I can only offer you forgiveness and try to understand why you lash out the way you do. It is my hope you find what you are looking for in life that will bring you happiness.

To the rest on this forum I wish you all well. I do believe there is some good in what you are seeking to do. But I do believe you all are being deceitful and making a mockery of the things you claim to stand for in this forum. Anyone can come in here and claim whatever they wish because there is nothing to back up what they say. How sad. And I am glad someone showed me this forum. I am happy to know for a brief moment in this ladies life amongst the many other attempts she has made against other Native women, she found some type of justification in her actions. For you see, my strength lies in who I am and not in what she or any one else says I am. She knows this and it sickens her. I also do not let words make or break me. I am who I am and my actions show it.

Thank you all for the opportunity to speak on my own behalf. You will never have to figure out who I am, for I am always Weeya. I do not hide behind ID's or fake names. I am who I am. Now please take the opportunity to remove me from this group Administrator. I do not wish to belong to a group that does not practice what it so loudly preaches.

Be well - Weeya Wakee Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
I find it amazing that you're going off half cocked here, hysterical.

Slamming everyone on this forum because you're angry at one. 

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline flyaway

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 05:17:29 am »
Weeya,
I do not know who you are speaking of, but whoever it  is, you seem to hold much animosity toward her which is not what you teach AT ALL.It speaks of hating yourself when you lash out at another like that and shows no forgiveness which you have spoken of in your seminars. A woman of worth does not emotionally or mentally abuse another. So I, as a Tsalagi Elise, am calling you out on that. I am from the EB/Qualla and you are not enrolled. In fact you do say you have not yet found all the paper work you need. You also speak of being from many clans in your different sites and seminars. I would be interested in what Tsalagi name you are related to, mine is Hopper, Baker, Walkingstick.

The people on this forum are wonderful people who research and do what they can to put a stop to frauds, fakes, who are stealing our peoples teachings, and traditions and mixing it with whatever they conjure up and call it "Lakota, Cherokee, Navajo ect" . This forum has been very sucessful in what we do here. So why are you so angry at them? Your worth does not depend on what this forum says, now does it?

What is this Medicine Way all about? I have read it and still am not clear, it gives the impression that you are a medicine woman, which Tasalagi do not have but do  have other teachings when it comes to the women.

The teachings you are teaching are from Rev. T.D. Jakes "Woman Thou Art Loose" and "Women of Worth" or W.O.W. Ministries, none of which are Native teachings, but good teachings, but they need to be given the credit for the teachings. Don't you think?

Offline WINative

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:09 pm »
http://www.themedicineway.org/index.html

Co-Founders Info:

Weeya Wakee Smith, born to the Cherokee Nation was raised by a traditional grandmother who raised her in traditional Cherokee beliefs. She walks in the “Medicinal” way assisting those who wish to learn, to heal and to walk a better path. Through her own adversities in life she has developed a keen understanding of tribulations and spiritual blockages that can occur in all humans. The Medicine Way teaches us that we are all here to help each other. The path is ours to make. Weeya is known for her commitment to assist and her strong commitment to a person’s confidentiality. She currently works with Native American women in her area and non-Native women teaching them the importance of womanhood, W.O.W. (Women of the Wheel). Being Native American, she has learned the traditional teachings of her family and her people. Weeya has a huge respect for all belief systems. If you are interested in learning more, having her assist in personal or group help, learning about our ancestors and loved ones who have passed on, participating in classes or just need to "work your own path", please feel free to contact her.
Contact Weeya:
weeya.wakee@gmail.com
920-213-4418 – Weeya’s Cell

https://www.facebook.com/weeyawakee.smith?fref=ts

Epiphany

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:05:03 am »
Her husband has passed on, he is Oneida. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/greenbaypressgazette/obituary.aspx?n=jimmy-smith&pid=152428563&fhid=14324#fbLoggedOut

Her birth name is McCormick, earlier in this forum thread it is said that her first name is Michelle. Parents Allen McCormick and Juanette McBride.

Offline WINative

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:09:07 am »
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cherokeenativeamericansclub/conversations/topics/1825

September 9, 2006
Michelle McCormick
Wrote
Weeyawakee
My family comes from N.C. originally but migrated to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, where I was born. There was a settlement of Natives on Oneonta, Alabama where my family lived. They were a mixture of Natives.
Wado-Weeya Wakee

Epiphany

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cherokeenativeamericansclub/conversations/topics/1825

September 9, 2006
Michelle McCormick
Wrote
Weeyawakee
My family comes from N.C. originally but migrated to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, where I was born. There was a settlement of Natives on Oneonta, Alabama where my family lived. They were a mixture of Natives.
Wado-Weeya Wakee

This sounds like she is guessing, maybe based on some family stories of their believed heritage. Also doesn't sound like she had her actual genealogy records compiled and available.

Michelle did claim earlier in this thread that she and family are enrolled.

She markets herself as "born to the Cherokee Nation" and as one who teaches a "medicine way" - so we all certainly have the right to research her sales pitch.

Offline WINative

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
Yes there are alot of inconsistencies in her stories with the things she teaches and I hate to say it but whenever the Cherokee heritage comes into play it makes you more skeptical. Although I have known legitimate Cherokee people in my area that you can tell they are Native by looking at them, but they were Christian. I think all three were pastors.
No one should be offended by someone questioning their blood quantum and credentials when they are marketing a service or product as being Native American/American Indian.

Offline LittleOldMan

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
I have lived within 13 miles of downtown Oneonta Al. for 66 years. Both my wife and daughter graduated from OHS. My Family has been here fo 200 years and while a lot of the old families have some Creek or Cherokee ancestory mixed in usually two to three generations ago to my knowledge there there has never been a settelment of Native Americans.  There are some who are active in heritage groupes who are high in BQ that I know.  I will ask and see if they know this person. Again neither my wife nor myself recognize the person.  I read every day bot post only when I feel I can contribute.   "LittleOldMan"
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.

Offline WINative

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 03:28:58 am »
I just saw this post from Weeya Smith on a mutual friends Facebook wall and thought I would share:

Weeya Smith: I am often asked by students how long I've been Indian or when did I know I was an Indian. This shows they think of us as a thing to be or a part in a play. I've never played the part of a white person. This brings about mixed feelings and emotions. I lost family members on the Trail of Tears. My family has stories regarding my ancestors who struggled and died. But I'm thankful to know my family history because from what I have gathered over the years most Caucasian folks do not know theirs

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 12:05:43 pm »

Juanette Mcbride
mentioned in the record of Mcbride and Juanette Mcbride
Name:    Juanette Mcbride
Event Type:    Marriage
Event Date:    01 Jul 1971
Event Place:    Escambia, Florida, United States
Race:    White
Spouse's Name:    Mcbride
Volume:    3072
Certificate Number:    038098
Citing this Record

"Florida Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VJF9-GHG : accessed 1 June 2015), Mcbride and Juanette Mcbride, 01 Jul 1971; from "Florida, Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001," database and images, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : 2006); citing Florida Department of Health, Jacksonville, Florida; and Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research.