Author Topic: Buck Ghosthorse (Leonard Albert Mattern)  (Read 45153 times)

Epiphany

Re: Buck Ghosthorse (Leonard Albert Mattern)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 06:15:57 pm »
The Buck Ghosthorse and Vicki Ghosthorse Trust of June 2006 was amended and restated in 2013.

http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/DigitalObject/View/E167C8A4F9F172F7CEAF2963241EE6FD

I am not an attorney and I don't have experience reading and understanding trust documents. But this sure looks like the trust has money, maybe even substantial.

Vicki Ghosthorse is the surviving initial co-trustee. Chad Everett Mayo is a co-trustee also.

Named in the trust documents are also Vicki's son Jeremy Ryan Redd, Paul Ghosthorse, his wife Harriet Inez Stockard-Ghosthorse, Chad's wife Amirra Malak, and Jenessa Ann West.

Disagreements are supposed to go to the "Spiritual Leader of Sungleska Oyate".

Any beneficiary or heir who contests the trust, impairs, or seeks to conspire with others to do so, is given one dollar and sent on their way.

Epiphany

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 06:59:34 pm »
Our History

In 1952 our Spiritual Elder had a vision of teaching all races of people about his people, culture and spiritual way of living day to day life on what is called Canku Luta. THE RED ROAD.

Some years later in approximatly, 1970, at the age of 30, he started to travel and help his Elder and Uncle W. Black Elk as he and his wife, Grace Spotted Eagle traveled the USA speaking and teaching about Lakota way of being.

In 1986 or so, He and his wife moved to Monroe Washington, and started to teach all who would listen to them, about this way. Buck had met many people accross the USA during travel with his Elders and the First Tiospye was formed in Monroe. By 1990 , Tiospyes existed in California, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, Minnesota, and by 1999 also in New York State, New Mexico, Alaska, and members or family were in some 30 states. The actual founding Tiospye was in The Bay Area of California.

Members of the New Nation, Sungleska Oyate, formed the nation in around 1999. The total of people now involved are unsure as Native people dont count people, they are not live stock. However there are some 700 individual Families with many single members involved.

The current ethnic make up in some 15% Native American, 45% mixed blood, 2% African American, 1% Asian American, and 27% White or caucasian Americans. The form of Government is a Traditional form, with an Elders Council.

Many people who are in this large extended family have some 25 or so years on this road. Members, family people, are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, musicians, artists, cab drivers,School teachers, Contractors, Architects, movie documentary makers, about whatever you can think for a nation to have in it, is here.

Since 1993 the nation has sponsored and ran 15 SunDances, many ceremonies country wide, teaching and childrens seminars, plus voters registration, public service programs, members have served on various Civic association panels and boards, served on boards in various county governments, and ran the Democrat party in Goldendale, WA for some three years.

The Oyate has a long, proud history and one which will grow with time.

Hau mitakuye oyasin

https://web.archive.org/web/20100310101800/http://www.sungleska.org/pages/history.php

Their web sites are not that active now. http://sungleska.org/ http://www.sungleska.com/They do have up a map image with their plans to stage water for possible fire needs, enacting the plan apparently reliant on what donations they bring in for it. Really, water safety set up for this land and any use of fire should have been put in place long ago.

The image is also interesting because it shows a ceremonial type construction.

Epiphany

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »
Paul Ghosthorse videos have been recently advertised on Twitter by the company that created them.

At a November 2014 event at a North Carolina college Paul lectured on the "ways and virtues of the Lakota people". Sungleska Oyate performed songs.

https://m.facebook.com/events/644838332289094/

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2705.0

Piff

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
Leonard Albert Mattern Jr was born in 1942, Pennsylvania. http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3760.msg41263#msg41263 He legally changed his name to Buck Ghosthorse in 1992, Washington state.

Before he moved to WA, he lived in Florida. He used variations of "Leonard A Mattern Jr", "Buck Mattern", "Leonard Buck Mattern".

Leonard Albert Mattern Jr. (aka Buck Ghosthorse) was an active KKK member.

He participated in the infighting that is common in racist groups. He was part of a breakaway group that then affiliated with a right wing militia cult group led by John R. Harrell out of Illinois, Christian Patriots Defense League.

In the spring of 1980 some robed klansmen violently raided this breakaway group, Leonard Mattern Jr. (LM) was present. This event was splashed all over the news and LM is often quoted and mentioned in these articles.

I'll upload newspaper clips through a series of posts here. I stumbled across this story through research at newspapers.com - check for variations on his name in Florida, there are quite a few articles.

Something I noticed about LM when he was "Buck Ghosthorse" in WA is that he was a "letter to the editor" guy. He regularly sent in letters about local and national politics. Turns out he also did this back when he lived in Florida. But those letters had a different theme.

This clip is "To compare Klan to Nazis is pure bigotry" by Leonard A Mattern Jr, Sentinel Star, Orlando FL, 25 July 1978

Piff

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »
Here he is in spring 1979, "KKK said church members, act civicly" by "L.A. 'Buck' Mattern".

Also included are other examples of his letters to editor.

The FBI already knew he was a klan member, since at least 1969 https://archive.org/stream/COINTELPROMiami/157-MM-1114-v-8-ARC-ID-5540791_djvu.txt

Piff

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »
Uploaded here are clips on the 1980 KKK brawl.

"Buck Mattern, a diminutive former Klansman with dark, slicked back hair"

"Mattern, a 14-year Klan veteran who quit"

Tampa Tribune, 19 Sept 1980

LM claimed that the new group he was joining was not white supremacist, but it was. LM had moved from robed KKK to violent militia in jeans.

Piff

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 04:14:34 pm »
"I don't think they were there for killing us. They just wanted to scare us. If they had wanted to kill us all, it would have been nothing to it," said Leonard A. Mattern, 32.

Mattern said he was a Klan member 12 years ago and that the hooded raiders disrupted an organizational meeting of the Christian Patriots."

News Press, 6 March 1980

Piff

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 06:09:13 pm »
Letters to the editor as  Leonard Buck Mattern, then as Buck GhostHorse.

LM claimed military service as a Marine. I think he was a Marine, a 1965 clip uploaded here lists a Cpl Leonard A Mattern, Jr. The age is right for our LM.

Piff

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
After the KKK / right wing militia brawl, LM transformed himself into "Buck Ghost Horse".

In 1997, one of his followers Paul Sahadya / Paul Ghost Horse (http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2705.0) wrote a letter to the editor:

It always bothers me when I see the KKK use the symbol of a circle with a cross through the center.
This is an ancient American Indian symbol describing the unity and balance of creation.
That they could steal it, call it their own and pervert its meaning does damage to all those native people who identify with its true meaning and not the ugly racist distortion created by small minds. Hetchtu yelo - mitakuye oyasin (we are all related).
Paul Ghost Horse
Black Mountain

Piff

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 09:42:14 pm »
LM  publicly reinvented himself as "Buck Ghost Horse" the "medicine man". He earned a lot of media coverage.
--------

"He touts the truths of American Indian"

"Every type of disease I've seen has been cured in a sweat lodge, including AIDS and cancer, but the person has to believe God can cure you."
----------

"Without reservation, holyman follows his chosen profession"

"The dreams began when the boy was still living on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota."
-----------

Piff

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 10:26:33 pm »
LM gathered followers as he moved from Florida to Washington state. Including from a commune in Alabama, Hawkwind Earth Renewal Cooperative.

Uncle Buck Ghosthorse came and took a huge crew back to Washington with him to build a community.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1658897310810887&id=105389309495036

Piff

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 02:21:11 am »
Available online National Archives is Record Group 65: Records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 1896 - 2008, Series:
Classification 157 (Civil Unrest) Case Files, 1957 - 1978, File Unit: Miami, [Florida] - 157-1114-v.8 [Classification - Civil Unrest]

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5540791 (the document may take quite awhile to load, downloading in .pdf form worked better for me)

There are at least 23 mentions of Mattern in these documents. I've not read the whole thing yet, but have uploaded here a few clips.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
The Christian Patriots Defense League that Mattern was part of after leaving the Klan was white supremacist, anti Semitic, survivalist, with a persecution complex claiming the gov't and society are out to destroy Christians. They claimed white Americans were the chosen people, not Jews. They were also a paramilitary militia, with gun clubs and training for an end times they imagine will come soon.

So the timeline is early mid 60s he was a Marine. After leaving, he's with United Klans for 14 years. Then he's with CPDL for perhaps 3-6 years.

At that point he begins his impersonation. There's a lot of obvious parallels with Asa Carter, the KKK leader who became Forrest Carter and posed as a Cherokee author, lying that his ancestors were on the Trail of Tears.

Both cases also show that journalists and publishers can be very gullible, not do any research when someone panders to what they wish was true, and they have no actual NDNs around. Claiming to be a priest of the "American Indian Church"? Claiming that this paler version of Willie Nelson with vaguer hippie talk was a fullblood Lakota medicine man?

The last thing both men do is show the thin line between white supremacy and culture theft. I've seen fans of Carter's book claim he had some kind of change of heart. I'm sure Mattern's cult and his "adopted sons" will claim the same. But no, claiming that whites have the "right" to steal Native identity, beliefs, and practices is just as white supremacist as KKK beliefs. It's just a more elaborate spiritual colonialism, a way for whites to assuage their guilt over their ancestors stealing Native land.

The Hawkwind Earth Renewal Cooperative that his cult began as part of has ties to some other frauds. "Mary Thunder" endorses them as allies. Also Charla Thomas/Tarwater of the Bear Tribe cult. She co founded HERC along with "Reverend" Charla Herman, who now run an alchemy academy.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
Wow, Piff! This guy was hiding in plain sight! God catch. Thanks for the hard work you do to expose frauds.

Piff

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 12:35:15 am »
Wow, Piff! This guy was hiding in plain sight! God catch. Thanks for the hard work you do to expose frauds.

:) I was using a news archive site I'd not used before, then decided to idly run other fraud names through while I had access. Never expected to find anything like this.

I've read through FBI surveillance/ counter intelligence documents covering about a year of UKA (United Klans of America, Inc., Knights of the Ku Klux Klan) activity in Florida. Mattern was noted as attending 20 some UKA meetings during that time, his first in August 1969. He easily could have attended even more, I don't think surveillance covered everything.

His FBI case file was 1-157-3165.

Mattern was a Kladd of the local unit - a Klan member responsible for initiating new members and conducting other ceremonies. He participated in public cross burnings. He attended a state conference. At one point he served as acting EC (Exalted Cyclops) for the local unit / klavern.

The surveillance details so much arguing and infighting. Everyone armed, explicitly racist and antisemitic. Klan members debated whether to use polygraph or "truth serum" on each other. Klan members brought charges against each other in meetings, Mattern himself worked to get several people kicked out, then later joined a splinter group. The FBI worked to exploit the natural divisiveness.