Author Topic: Sam Beeler  (Read 75859 times)

Offline shkaakwus

Re: Sam Beeler
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »
M-P:

I'm satisfied that I've made the points I wanted to, on this thread.  If there's more to respond to, I'll be around.

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 02:16:24 am »
Shkaakwus, per your advice, I contacted Claire Garland and received the following response:

Sent: Thu, 7 May 2009 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: Sand Hill Indians

Hi Steve,

the first time I heard of Sam Beeler was after Jim Revey passed. Sam was in the Neptune Museum trying to get our family artifacts, claiming to be related to the Sand Hill Group. 

He called several times but I could make no connection to any of our relatives. He joined our Historical Assn and sent a press release stating that he was the Chief of the Sand Hills in Paterson.

No one knew him or anyone in his family. Then the NJ State Commission requested that I send a cease and desist letter to him. I hear that the Paterson group is trying to unseat Holloway.
I will send the article from the Star Ledger.
Claire

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:14 am »
I've been reading more about the Sand Hill band , trying to understand who Sam Beeler is and why there seems to be a disagreement.

If I understand this properly , Beeler says he is the grandson of Sarah Holloway who Beeler says was a member of the Sand Hill band, but as Wolfhawaii just showed us,  some members of the Sand Hill band seem to be saying he isn't related to them.

It looks like it would take a lot of research and some people who aren't biased , to verify or refute these different versions of this history, and i am no where close to having an opinion either way, but i did see something that seems odd and it made me wonder.

http://www.woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5787

#1 Feb-28-2009 10:09:am

sschkaak
Jim Revey's obituary
This obituary appeared in the ASNJ Newletter, Vol. 183 (October, 1998), pages 1 & 2.  [It should have read "3" parts Delaware--not "4."  Just a typo.]

On May 18, 1998 New Jersey lost one of its most informed, dedicated and outspoken Native Americans.  James "Lone Bear" Revey was a full blooded (4 parts Delaware, 1 part Cherokee) Indian and member of the Sand Hill Delaware band, formerly located in Monmouth County.  He was the appointed New Jersey representative of, and spokesperson for, the Federally recognized Delaware Tribe of Indians, and was devoted to the preservation of his people's heritage.  To this end he spent most of his adult life as genealogical consultant, researcher, author and lecturer on the Lenape or Delaware people.  Mr. Revey served on the New Jersey Indian Commission and was consultant to several museums including the State Museum of Pennsylvania, the Indian Village at Waterloo and the Mashantucket Pequot Indian Museum.  He headed the "New Jersey Indian Office" and was proprietor of "Lone Bear Indian Crafts" in Orange, New Jersey, which made artifacts and articles of ceremonial attire for Museums, the Broadway Stage (e.g., "Singing in the Rain"), for Indian ceremonial performances and other events.  Mr. Revey was a popular and much sought after speaker in elementary schools throughout the State, while also giving scholarly presentations for historical societies and universities.  His written articles were published by Seton Hall University Museum, and the Moravian Historical Society.  Mr. Revey was 74 years old.  *"Lone Bear" was buried on June 30th at Hillside Cemetery in South Plainfield in a simple, traditional Lenape Indian ceremony.  David Oestreicher and Herb Kraft participated and represented the Archaeological Society of New Jersey.  On Saturday, September 19th a memorial service was held at the Senior Citizens Center in the Municipal complex in Old Bridge (Middlesex County).  Here he was eulogized by colleagues, relatives and friends who cherished their association with this distinguished individual.
     It is unlikely that anyone will take Jim Revey's place.  He had an extensive knowledge of Delaware and Cherokee genealogy and willingly took the time to help people discover their heritage.  He had a passion for Native American history but rarely had the time to put his thoughts in writing.  He endeavored to protect his Delaware Indian heritage and was offended by and opposed many of the so-called "wannabees" who claimed Lenape/Delaware ancestry on tenuous evidence, and who promulgated misinformation, and enacted dances and rituals that were inaccurate.  Who will assume these responsibilities now?
     Rest in peace, Jim.  It was an honor & a privilege to have known you.

Herb

(We thank Herb Kraft for writing this obituary for us.  Ed.)

So this obituary says there is no known sucessor .

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/with_lawsuit_against_nj_little.html

With lawsuit against N.J., little-known Indian group is thrust into spotlight
by Joe Ryan/The Star-Ledger
Sunday March 22, 2009

(begins ...)
Revey was the longtime head of the New Jersey Indian Office in Orange. Most say he was the Sand Hills' contemporary patriarch.

But some -- including the Paterson Sand Hills -- contend Revey was more than an unofficial leader. They say he was chief.

Sam Beeler grew up in Paterson and has been active for years in local American Indian causes. As he recalls it, Revey lay dying at age 74 when he asked Beeler to assume leadership of the Sand Hills.

"He asked me to take over," Beeler said.

And so Beeler became chief, he said.

(Con...)

Which makes me wonder why this obituary not only doesn't mention Beeler but strongly implies the author, had never heard of the new Chief , and that he believed there wasn't going to be a sucessor.

It seems a little strange that Revey would name a sucessor and that this wouldn't be common knowledge to people familiar with the Sand Hill band.

Shkaakwus ... It seems you posted this obitury so presumably it is legit.

Is there an explaination for this ?

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:11 am »
wolfhawaii:

I understand what Claire Garland is telling you.  It's no different than what she said in Joe Ryan's article.  What I don't see from her is a satisfactory explanation of why Sam Beeler and five members of his family were granted membership in the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society--of which Society Claire Garland is the Director--when "NOBODY knew who he was"!  And, then, they ran that article, "Sam Beeler, Chairman of the Tribal Council of the Sand Hill Band of Indians," in the Summer, 2006 issue of their newsletter!  Mrs. Garland says she first heard of Sam Beeler "after Jim Revey passed."  That was in 1998.  This article in her newsletter is eight years later! 

I recall when Sam Beeler was trying to retrieve those items from the Neptune Historical Museum.  That was in 2003.  The township made a decision to close the museum, which occupied one room in the public library, for financial reasons.  The town had no plan of what to do with the Sand Hill Indian items.  He was trying to get them back FOR the Sand Hill Indians IN MONMOUTH COUNTY (i.e., Claire Garland's group)--NOT for himself!  Although, he did have some items his grandmother made that had been loaned to that museum, and he wanted those, too.

So far as I can tell, the rift did not take place until 2008, when Sam Beeler's Sand Hill Indians approached the New Jersey Commission on Indian Affairs, requesting a seat on that Commission.  And, it took place at the instigation of members of the Commission.  It didn't originate in either of the two groups.

I have nothing personal against Claire Garland.  She's a Sand Hill Indian.  The current problem all boils down to how "Sand Hill Indian" is defined, which I hope to get into in answer to Moma Porcupine's post. 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:20:34 pm by shkaakwus »

Offline NanticokePiney

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 03:34:05 am »

HOLY @#$% RAY! YOUR SPEECHLESS????  :o

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 03:48:43 am »

HOLY @#$% RAY! YOUR SPEECHLESS????  :o

How about giving me a couple minutes to answer.  I hit the damn send button too fast and had to start over.  See my reply, above.

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 04:28:04 am »
Moma_Porcupine writes:

"this obituary not only doesn't mention Beeler but strongly implies the author, had never heard of the new Chief , and that he believed there wasn't going to be a sucessor.

It seems a little strange that Revey would name a sucessor and that this wouldn't be common knowledge to people familiar with the Sand Hill band.

Shkaakwus ... It seems you posted this obitury so presumably it is legit.

Is there an explaination for this ?"

That obituary was written by Herbert C. Kraft, so let me know if this letter explains this for you:

http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6140

I'll have to get into the explanation of the differing definitions of who is a Sand Hill Indian, tomorrow.  It's way too late, for me, to do that  tonight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:33:21 am by shkaakwus »

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 02:41:04 pm »
The current rift between two Indian groups in New Jersey, both calling themselves "Sand Hill Indians," results from an honest difference of opinion over the definition of that term.  In short, Claire Garland's group seems to restrict the term to members of the Revey and Richardson families, and their descendants, plus some of the Indian in-laws of those families, such as the Crummel family. 

The definition of Sam Beeler's group includes the above people, but also extends the name to include other New Jersey Indian families whose names were kept on the rolls of the Sand Hill Indians, beginning in 1887, when the Sand Hill Indians' first list of Indian families in NJ was compiled.  (This list did not include Ramapough, Nanticoke or Powhatan names.)  Subsequent rolls were compiled in later years.  These lists include other Indians who lived in or moved to Monmouth County, NJ, such as the Clay, Ashton and Holloway families, as well as NJ Indian (as opposed to non-Indian) relations of Sand Hill Indians, such as the Hill, Ray, Douglas, and Johnson families; most of whom lived in other counties of New Jersey; and, a few other Indian families living elsewhere in the state, such as the Whitaker and Armstrong families, with whom they associated.

Hence, the divide.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:15:52 pm by shkaakwus »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »
shkaakwus
What I don't see from her is a satisfactory explanation of why Sam Beeler and five members of his family were granted membership in the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society--of which Society Claire Garland is the Director--when "NOBODY knew who he was"! And, then, they ran that article, "Sam Beeler, Chairman of the Tribal Council of the Sand Hill Band of Indians," in the Summer, 2006 issue of their newsletter! 

I guess this situation would depend on things like if people have to prove they are related to the Sand Hill band before being allowed to join this Historical Society, if the person who wrote the article saying Sam Beeler was the Chairman of the Tribal Council of the Sand Hill band of Indians was one of the same people who are now saying he isn't, if the person who wrote this understood and agreed with all the implications that title was being used to imply, and if the members of the Historical Society who didn't write that article would feel they had the right to tell whoever wrote that article they couldn't publish it as a part of the 2006 newsletter, and that this was worth disputing at the time.

shkaakwus
Mrs. Garland says she first heard of Sam Beeler "after Jim Revey passed."  That was in 1998.  This article in her newsletter is eight years later!

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with this comment. If Garland has known Beeler since 1998 - 1999 why should it be remarkable that she knows him and that Beeler and some family members had joined the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society by 2006 ?

I typed out the scanned letter in the link you posted. ( I think you made a typo when you said this is a letter written by Herbert C. Kraft. Assuming I managed to find what you were trying to refer to, it looks like this letter was written by John Kraft, who is Herbert's son. )

Lenape Lifeways
Educational Programs Inc.
PO Box 239 Stanhope NJ 07874 (975)-691-2516

June 15 , 2008

Dr Carroll Holloway
NJ Sand Hill Indians Inc.
PO Box 1012
Montague. new Jersey 07827

Dear Dr. Holloway

This is to inform you that I have known Sam Beeler for about five years as the former chairman of the New Jersey Indian Office. A registered and recognized member of the Sand Hill Band of Cherokee/Lenape Indians, I understand that Sam has often lectured on the culture and historical legacy of his people. additionally , Sam has been helpful to myself and other professionals in providing information about the contemporary Native American community in New Jersey. in this specialized field, his insight and understanding has been valuable. I do hesitate to speak at length about his professional capacity , for excluding telephone conversations, I have only met Sam a few times to discusss the possiblility of creating exhibits for Waywayanda State Park and a longhouse construction for the Paterson Mueseum. Perhaps my strongest impression of him is that he was a cousin of the late James "Lone Bear" Revey, a very dear friend of mine, whom i had the greatest respect for. Jim of course knew Sam well and spoke highly of him. My father the late Herbert C. Kraft, a much respected scholar and author of New Jersey prehistory - also found him to be an interesting and charming man and provided Sam with information and advice about the region's archeological remains.

I don't know whether any clear picture has emerged from this letter, but I do wish to express my appreciation of the good will Sam has gendered over the years. His work with and concern for the Sand Hill community is genuine and refreshing and hopefully will contribute to the greater understanding and appreciation of these people.

Sincerely

signiture

John T. Kraft

I'm not sure how you are thinking this letter transcribed above, explains why Herbert C. Kraft never mentioned Sam Beeler being appointed to be James Revey's successor as Chief of the Sand hills band ?  I don't see this mentioned at all in this letter. Perhaps you could explain, as what you may be trying to show us isn't obvious.

I also see where John Kraft says his strongest impression of Sam Beeler was that he was a cousin of James Lone Bear Revey.

In the article I posted a link to in post # 47 , I read where people who are Sand Hill Indians say Sam isn't related to them.

Could you provide some information on the family line through which Beeler is cousins with James Revey ?

I see where the name of Beeler's Mother and Grandmother Sarah Holloway are already published, so it doesn't seem like I'm not able to find where this is explained, because it's private.

http://gardenstatepol.com/blog/?p=343

Also if you want to refer to information on other websites or in scanned documents it would be easier to understand how you are interpreting this , if you could quote the parts that are relevent and explain what you think this is showing.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:01:10 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:40 pm »
Shkaakwus wrote:

What I don't see from her is a satisfactory explanation of why Sam Beeler and five members of his family were granted membership in the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society--of which Society Claire Garland is the Director--when "NOBODY knew who he was"! And, then, they ran that article, "Sam Beeler, Chairman of the Tribal Council of the Sand Hill Band of Indians," in the Summer, 2006 issue of their newsletter! 

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I guess this situation would depend on things like if people have to prove they are related to the Sand Hill band before being allowed to join this Historical Society,"

Shkaakwus replies:

Members listed in this issue of the newsletter all claimed Sand Hill Indian ancestry.  Related to whom?  Proof?  He can prove who his grandmother was!  You're obviously accepting Claire Garland's definition of Sand Hill Indian--even though you haven't got enough knowledge on the matter to decide which definition is correct.  Kind of funny, since, when I was here last time you actually called all of the Sand Hill Indians PODIA's, and once even suggested that they might be Chinese!  LOL!  If this thread was about Claire Garland, instead of Sam Beeler, you'd be after her. 

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"if the person who wrote the article saying Sam Beeler was the Chairman of the Tribal Council of the Sand Hill band of Indians was one of the same people who are now saying he isn't, if the person who wrote this understood and agreed with all the implications that title was being used to imply, and if the members of the Historical Society who didn't write that article would feel they had the right to tell whoever wrote that article they couldn't publish it as a part of the 2006 newsletter, and that this was worth disputing at the time."

Shkaakwus replies:

Nonsense!  Claire Garland and her relations had FULL editorial control over the content of that newsletter.  Sam Beeler didn't!

Shkaakwus wrote:

Mrs. Garland says she first heard of Sam Beeler "after Jim Revey passed."  That was in 1998.  This article in her newsletter is eight years later!

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with this comment. If Garland has known Beeler since 1998 - 1999 why should it be remarkable that she knows him and that Beeler and some family members had joined the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society by 2006 ?"

Shkaakwus replies:

My point is:  How many years does it take to realize somebody is not related to you?  Claire Garland claims she knew Sam Beeler since Jim Revey died and got suspicious when Sam Beeler was trying to get things from the Neptune Historical Museum.  So, she knew him since 1998, and got suspicious in 2003.  His membership (and that of his family members) in the Sand Hill Indian Historical Society (Claire Garland, Director) and that article calling him "Chairman of the Tribal Council" were accepted in 2006!  Do the math!   

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I typed out the scanned letter in the link you posted. ( I think you made a typo when you said this is a letter written by Herbert C. Kraft. Assuming I managed to find what you were trying to refer to, it looks like this letter was written by John Kraft, who is Herbert's son. )"

Shkaakwus replies:

If I didn't know that you're deliberately misquoting what I wrote, for your own purposes, I'd think you're in dire need of some reading comprehension exercises.  I NEVER said this letter was "written by Herbert C. Kraft."  And, again:  You "managed to find what" I was "trying to refer to"...?  It must have been real difficult to figure out how to click-on a link with nothing else on it!  LOL!  "It looks like this letter was written by John Kraft, who is Herbert's son"?  It "looks like" this?  That's exactly what the letter says! 

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I'm not sure how you are thinking this letter transcribed above, which you seem to be reffering to, explains why Herbert C. Kraft never mentioned Sam Beeler being appoionted to be James Revey's successor as Chief of the Sand hills band ?  I don't see this mentioned at all in this letter. Perhaps you could explain, as what you may be trying to show us isn't obvious."

Shkaakwus replies:

In your previous post, you wrote:  "this obituary not only doesn't mention Beeler but strongly implies the author, had never heard of the new Chief , and that he believed there wasn't going to be a sucessor." The letter proves he did know Sam Beeler--contrary to your conjectural interpretation of his words.  Herbert C. Kraft's lament over the passing of his friend had NOTHING to do with the Sand Hill Indian "chieftaincy."  Kraft was just saying what everyone who knew Jim Revey knows--that Jim will never be replaced as a native craftsman, a historian of his people, a teacher, and a living cultural treasure of the State of New Jersey.  There is nobody like him left, in those respects.  That's all Kraft was saying.  The letter certainly proves that Herb Kraft knew who Sam Beeler was before his (Herb Kraft's) death in 2000.   

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I also see where John Kraft says his strongest impression of Sam Beeler was that he was a cousin of James Lone Bear Revey. In the article I posted a link to in post # 47 , I read where people who are Sand Hill Indians say Sam isn't related to them.  Could you provide some information on the family line through which Beeler is cousins with James Revey ?"

Shkaakwus replies:

Do you really suppose I would have said, earlier in this thread, that I don't know who all of Sam Beeler's cousins are--and, that I would now magically be able to provide that information?  I'm not even sure this is how Sam Beeler used this word.  Many New Jersey Indians call every other New Jersey Indian, "cousin."  It's something like "all my relations."  Doesn't mean somebody is your first cousin!  I'm not saying which way Sam Beeler was using this word (because I don't know), but almost any NJ Indian will confirm what I just said about use of the word. 

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"I see where the name of Beeler's Mother and Grandmother Sarah Holloway are already published, so it doesn't seem like I'm not able to find where this is explained, because it's private."

Shkaakwus replies:

Answered above.

Moma_Porcupine writes:

"Also if you want to refer to information on other websites or in scanned documents it would be easier to understand how you are interpreting this , if you could quote the parts that are relevent and explain what you think this is showing."

Shkaakwus replies:

I prefer my method and will continue to employ it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:55:45 pm by shkaakwus »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009, 03:00:37 am »
I guess I have terminal curiousity. I have been continuing to dig. 

First of all, I see the Sand Hill band website is owned by Sam Beeler

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/sandhillindians.org

Registrant Email:beeler[AT]cherokeenation.zzn.com
Admin ID:tuCkc8L9GjU7nssB
Admin Name:Sam Beeler
Admin Organization:NJ Sand Hill Band

So presumably he is responsible for the information posted there.

I'm not disputing that there is proof of a group of people in the area of Neptune who have both Lenape and Cherokee heritage, and who have retained a memory of their heritage and and identity based on this.  What makes me doubtful is how many aspects of the history being presented by Beeler doesn't seem to agree with other sources.

What initially seems to have made people think something was fishy was the seemingly exaggerated emphasis Beeler puts on the Cherokee heritage of the Sand Hill band and that his website repeatedly seems to use distorted or inaccurate historical information to support these claims.

Responsible researchers generally quote what they are reffering to and then explain how they are interpreting this, because they have enough humility to understand their own interpretation of the facts is not a fact in itself. Making a claim and providing documentation , does not mean you have made a documented claim - no matter how much you want to believe it does.

It's already been pointed out the claim Beeler's Cherokee version of Sand Hill history is recognized by the Nuyagi Keetowah is pretty flimsy.

Then there is stuff like this...

http://www.sandhillindians.org/time_line.htm

1711-1713 First recorded migrations of Keetoowah-Cherokee people into New Jersey *2 and 3 This community [1711-1713] is the core group from which the Nuyagi Keetoowah were established.*2 and 3

The sources given are 3 books- not references to primary documentation, but maybe this is found in the books.

The problem is, I don't see an explanantion of who these people were ( their names)  and the lines of descent which connect the present day descendents to this alleged core group of Cherokee...

So if some Cherokee people did move into the area in 1711 , I don't understand how they connect to the present community? What were their names ? Who were their kids and grand kids ect ?

Another example is the Sand Hill website mentions letters written by Chief John Ross which prve a "substantial Cherokee community in NJ .

http://www.sandhillindians.org/info.htm

In 1841, Principal Chief John Ross established a clear presence of substantial Cherokee community in New Jersey through his correspondence and other documentation.

According to CNO scholar Richard Allen this correspondence was  letters to family members attending a school in NJ;

http://newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=157.30

Reply #30 -31

There is no explanation of how Beeler believes these letters actually connect with ancestors and history of the present Sand Hill band. Cherokee historian Richard Allen says there is no connection . It isn't just a matter of interpretation .   

Are the Cherokee people mentioned in this corespondence actually the ancestors of the people who are now Sand hill band? If not, it seems to me this documentation wouldn't have anything to do with the actual history of the Sand Hill band.

Another thing I notice is this

http://www.sandhillindians.org/time_line.htm

1861-1864  Civil War:  Yet another recorded migration to New Jersey,  Chief John
Ross of the Cherokee Nation lives in exhile in New Jersey with the Keetoowah-Cherokee community.  *2,3,5,6,12

Other sources make me unsure if this is true ...

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v013/v013p421.html

on July 14, 1862, the Union forces occupied Tahlequah. ..........

the Confederate service now occupied Tahlequah and burned Rose Cottage, the Park Hill home of Chief Ross and the council house at Tahlequah, on October 28th and 29th, 1862.......

In February 1863, the tide of war again changed and the supremacy of the Union again was established in the Cherokee portion of the Territory. The Cherokee council again met and repealed the act deposing Chief Ross and reinstated him. The chief, then in Philadelphia, hastened to Washington to confer with Government authorities and on September 1, 1865, arrived at Tahlequah, preparatory for entering into the Ft. Smith conference with  the United States Commissioners. He was dissatisfied with Section 9 of the treaty of June 19, 1866 wherein the tribe was enforced to adopt their former negro slaves into tribal membership and immediately thereafter left for Washington to enter his protest against its ratification. The old chieftain was much broken in health and passed away at the Medes Hotel on lower Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D. C., on August 1, 1866. .........

His second wife was Mary Brian Stapler whom he married at Philadelphia on September 7, 1844 and who died at the temporary home of Chief Ross at 708 South Washington Square, Philadelphia, on July 20, 1865 ......

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/R/RO031.html
Ross again came to national attention during the American Civil War of the 1860s when he led the tribe through the tense disputes over Cherokee allegiance to the Union. Reluctantly, he accepted alliance with the Confederacy but abandoned the Cherokee Nation when the Federals invaded Indian Territory. He spent a good part of the remainder of the war in Washington, D.C., pleading the Cherokees' cause. At war's end he was able to come home for a short time but returned to the capital city to argue the Cherokee case once more. He died there in 1866. Chief Ross's remains were returned to Tahlequah and entombed in a family plot.

http://www.oklahomagenealogy.com/letter-chief-john-ross.htm

Letter of Chief John Ross

"Philadelphia, Pa., 708 Washington Place,
April 2, 1863.

I don't see any mention of Chief John Ross living in exile in New Jersey with a Cherokee community . And even if he did, unless this cherokee community is the ancestors of the Sand Hill band it doesn't seem to be a part of the Sand Hill bands history . It is this type of disconnected history which makes me skeptical of the Beeler's version of Sand Hill band history. 

If someone wanted to defend Beeler from unfair skeptism, it would help if they could explain is why a tribe with a real history and real culture would be making so many claims that seem to be bogus.

I did find a Sand Hill Indian history website which includes more complete genealogical information - along with the origins of the Sand Hill Indians which names names and explains lines of descent . This is the website belonging to Claire Garland -.

http://www.sandhillindianhistory.org/

( I am quoting from various chapters within this website - just to give a brief summery )

Finding themselves on the losing side of European conflicts, Joseph and Rebecca
Richardson lost their homelands in the Cherokee territory of Georgia and migrated north
on the Appalachian Trail with their twelve children to join relatives in New Jersey. The
youngest son, Isaac Revey Richardson, was born April 10, 1818 in Eatontown village at the family home on South Street and Richardson Avenue. Isaac Revey Richardson was
the grandfather of Ryers Crummel, Adeline Richardson Thomas, Robert Richardson,
Jonathan Richardson, Julian Russell Richardson, Charlotte Richardson, Theodora
Richardson Bell and James and Robert Revey.

After hiding out in the mountains for a while, Ike’s forefathers chose to make a better life for themselves by moving north following the Appalachian Trail.  They lived with their Lenape cousins, the Reveys in the area called Shrewsbury, of which Eatontown village and the hamlet of Tinton Falls were a small section. Since Isaac married Elizabeth Revey from New York, part of the Sand Hill history is tied to Manhattan.

In 1818 full-blooded Cherokee Indian, Isaac Revey Richardson, was born to Rebecca and Joseph Richardson in the small village of Eatontown , NJ, (just a few years after the British burned the White House). Indian Ike was the youngest of twelve siblings, some of whom remained in the mountains of Georgia when the family left or migrated westward to Ohio , Indiana or Oklahoma and were never heard from again

In 1826 Ike’s parents, Rebecca and Joseph Richardson, bought property near South Street in Eatontown village, near several other Revey and Richardson families.

Ike’s four sons, Isaac W., Theodore, Richard and Joseph Richardson, owned fifteen acres of farmland at Sand Hill buying the property in 1877

In 1844 Ike married Elizabeth S. Revey, a distant cousin from New York, at the Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. Her parents, Susan and Richard P Revey, are buried at the Indian Burial Grounds, now called Shadow Lawn Cemetery on Squankum Road in Tinton Falls, NJ. Ike bought property in 1845 near his parents near the Pine Brook on Richardson Avenue in Eatontown village. Isaac and Elizabeth’s four sons, Isaac W., Theodore, Richard, Joseph, and four daughters, Emma, Elizabeth, Susan, Restella (and one stillborn child) were born there

A relative Jonathan Richardson was “bounded out for a period of one year to Jacob Corlies”. If he remained for the year, he would receive three months of schooling and a new suit of clothes.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:NxaE96oeLkcJ:sandhillindianhistory.org/chapter6.pdf+%22Sand+
Hill%22+Crummell&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Chapter 6
The Family Grows

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Iv-PSu6H8KYJ:sandhillindianhistory.org/chapter7.pdf+site:
sandhillindianhistory.org+Cherokee+Crummel+%22new+jersey%22&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Chapter 7
The Clan Expands

What I found interesting is some of the family names of people related to the Sand Hill Indians I see in this source. i listed most of them below ...

Richardson
Revey
Crummell
Morris*
Vandeveer*
Thomas*
Burkhard*
Bell*
Fox*
Coleman*
Johnson
Cook*
Clark*
Fitzgerald*
Dickerson*

I also found some old photos of the Sand hill Indians ( Yeah I know Ray has posted links to some other pictures already )

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gjUqYLfH5ugC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=%22Sand+Hill%22+
Crummell&source=bl&ots=ofBPW_pKlc&sig=eK_rxbddfUqxmFK2cHW1n94pafk&hl=en&ei=r3cUSriSLaaItA
PhkJzfDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

Neptune and Shark River Hills
By Evelyn Stryker Lewis
Edition: illustrated
Published by Arcadia Publishing, 1998
ISBN 0738556998, 9780738556994
128 pages

In 1949 there is a picture of Sand Hill people surnamed

Bell*
Gardener*
Dickerson*
Thomas*
Fox*
(Gaines ?)
Holman*
James ( Lone Bear) Revey
Richardson
Crummell

The thing that strikes me is the differences between the family names given by these sources and the names on Beelers website .

http://www.sandhillindians.org/familynames.htm

Beelers list has James Revey's name at the end of it and a date of 1973. If James Revey made this list, as it appears,  I am not sure why it seems to not include many of the closely related family members who were Sand Hill Indians .

And of course the other question that comes up is how does Sam Beelers grandmother Sarah Holloway connect with this family which was named for the place they lived _ Sand Hill ?

And lastly in reply to a few of the more personal comments ...
shkaakwus
If I didn't know that you're deliberately misquoting what I wrote, for your own purposes, I'd think you're in dire need of some reading comprehension exercises.  I NEVER said this letter was "written by Herbert C. Kraft."

Actually i'm deliberately trying to be polite and stay with the actual questions without getting diverted into who has the stupidest most obnoxious personality. In this case you are absolutely right. I did misread what you wrote and i am very sorry for thinking you made a typo when it was a problem in my own reading comprehension.

shkaakwus
The letter proves he did know Sam Beeler--contrary to your conjectural interpretation of his words. 

I never asked if Revey actually knew or met Beeler and you are inventing a question which wasn't there  Presumably Mr Revey knew and met many people who were distant relative who he liked.  That doesn't make them all chiefs of the Sand Hill band. Obviously whether or not Mr Revey actually knew or met Sam Beeler and liked him is not relevent to Beelers claim to be Revey's successor as Chief of the Sand hill's band.

shkaakwus
Herbert C. Kraft's lament over the passing of his friend had NOTHING to do with the Sand Hill Indian "chieftaincy." 

Yes, you have a good point there and that is something else I noticed. This seems to be more evidence supporting the version of the story that Mr Revey was more of a patriarch than a Chief. If James Revey was the Chief of the Sand Hill band, surely this would also have been mentioned in the obituary?   

when I was here last time you actually called all of the Sand Hill Indians PODIA's, and once even suggested that they might be Chinese!  LOL!  If this thread was about Claire Garland, instead of Sam Beeler, you'd be after her. 

I don't want to get sucked into arguing with you about what was and wasn't said. if anyone cares and doesn't mind getting a headache, I uploaded the first page of that discussion into a google doc.  People can read for themselves what was said - in context - in the link below.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcwzmv4g_114d36phrgx

Yes if Claire Garland was making the same claims as Sam Beeler and using what looked like flakey out of context history to support these claims I would have the same reasons to be skeptical. She isn't.

Maybe this is just a problem caused by unclear communication and as you know a lot about Sam Beeler's version of this history maybe you can provide more details about the names , connections and missing links and clear up these misunderstandings.

For instance , perhaps you could explain how Beelers grandmother Sarah Holloway connects to the Sand Hill Indians - Or in other words, how does Sarah Holloway connect to the Richardson or Revey families , and if she doesn't, why is Beeler and Holloway calling themselves Sand Hill Indians? 

(edited to change word met to "knew or met " and to give the source of the information about the nature of Chief John Ross's letters to Cherokee people in NJ in 1841 )l
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:13:50 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »
Moma Porcupine writes:

"I guess I have terminal curiousity. I have been continuing to dig. First of all, I see the Sand Hill band website is owned by Sam Beeler  http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/sandhillindians.org  Quote Registrant Email:beeler[AT]cherokeenation.zzn.com  Admin ID:tuCkc8L9GjU7nssB  Admin Name:Sam Beeler  Admin Organization:NJ Sand Hill Band So presumably he is responsible for the information posted there."

Shkaakwus replies:

I thought we acknowledged this, already.

Moma Porcupine writes:

"If someone wanted to defend Beeler from unfair skeptism, it would help if they could explain is why a tribe with a real history and real culture would be making so many claims that seem to be bogus. I'm not disputing that there is proof of a group of people in the area of Neptune who have both Lenape and Cherokee heritage, and who have retained a memory of their heritage and and identity based on this.  What makes me doubtful is how many aspects of the history being presented by Beeler doesn't seem to agree with other sources."

Shkaakwus replies:

The sentence I've put in boldface type is the kind of dismissive, condescending put-down which causes me to respond in a way which you, then, characterize as "obnoxious."  You've failed to ever read the sources on the Sand Hill Indians I provided the first time I was here, nor have you done so yet.  Still, you think you can arrogantly deign to characterize the significant cultural retentions of the Sand Hill Indians as "a memory of their heritage and identity."  You persist in talking about them this way, though it appears obvious that you've never met a single one of them, nor have you bothered to read any of the accounts of them in the literature.  As A. Hyatt Verrill wrote:  "...these Indians have yet retained their old tribal customs, councils, ceremonials, arts and crafts, and their clan system, as well as their chieftainships, although surrounded by the whites and civilization for over two hundred years."   [in Verrill, A. Hyatt, The Real Americans, New York (1954), page 100]  Further information on their history, traditional craftwork, medicine practice, green corn dance, and other customs is provided in this and the other sources I've cited.  One has to read these before presuming to characterize the Sand Hill Indians as one of your so-called "PODIA" groups--or, in any way, whatsoever, for that matter.  In other words:  You have to know what you're talking about, first!

Moma Porcupine writes:

"What initially seems to have made people think something was fishy was the seemingly exaggerated emphasis Beeler puts on the Cherokee heritage of the Sand Hill band and that his website repeatedly seems to use distorted or inaccurate historical information to support these claims. Responsible researchers generally quote what they are reffering to and then explain how they are interpreting this, because they have enough humility to understand their own interpretation of the facts is not a fact in itself. Making a claim and providing documentation , does not mean you have made a documented claim - no matter how much you want to believe it does."

Shkaakwus replies:

Regarding what I've put in boldface type, immediately above:  It seems to me, this entirely depends on the quality of the documentation being cited. Of course, that can't be judged by somebody who has never read those sources.  You say, "...they have enough humility to understand their own interpretation of the facts is not a fact in itself."  And, I would add that the relevant facts cannot be interpreted by someone who doesn't know what those facts are.  If I write, "the Delaware Indians once made petticoats of hemp and moccasins of corn husks"--and cite my sources for this information--it is not up to me to provide you with the actual quotations from those sources!  Sources are cited so you can check what I'm saying, if you're so inclined.  A written history is not a series of quotations!  

Moma Porcupine writes:

"It's already been pointed out the claim Beeler's Cherokee version of Sand Hill history is recognized by the Nuyagi Keetowah is pretty flimsy."

Shkaakwus replies:

No such claim was ever made!  The claim is that the Nuyagi Keetoowah Society recognizes that the Cherokee background of the Sand Hill Indians is authentic and legitimate.  Where is the claim made that the NKS recognizes "Beeler's Cherokee version of Sand Hill history"?

Moma Porcupine writes:

"Then there is stuff like this... http://www.sandhillindians.org/time_line.htm  Quote  1711-1713 First recorded migrations of Keetoowah-Cherokee people into New Jersey *2 and 3 This community [1711-1713] is the core group from which the Nuyagi Keetoowah were established.*2 and 3"  The sources given are 3 books- not references to primary documentation, but maybe this is found in the books. The problem is, I don't see an explanantion of who these people were ( their names)  and the lines of descent which connect the present day descendents to this alleged core group of Cherokee...  So if some Cherokee people did move into the area in 1711 , I don't understand how they connect to the present community? What were their names ? Who were their kids and grand kids ect ?"

Shkaakwus replies:

"They have some Cherokee blood from members of the latter tribe who passed New Jersey on a northward migration in 1713." [Verrill, ibid., p.100] This is part of their traditional oral history!  On the "Red Record" thread, the administrator of this forum, as well as others, argue that this kind of history is to be given equal weight with the historical accounts written and documented by whites.  Now, you demand the white version (i.e., "documentation") as the only source of authority you'll accept!  How many CNO, UKB and EBC Cherokees can provide you with an unbroken chain of genealogical documentation showing who their Cherokee ancestors were, living in the period, 1711-1713?  (I'll wager the answer is "none.")  

{I have eliminated, from my reply, all your references to John Ross and his habitations during the Civil War, etc.  It has nothing to do with the Sand Hill Indians, other than that it exhibits one Sand Hill Indian's pride in his Cherokee roots, and his pride in finding that there is another Cherokee-New Jersey connection.  It's his website.  He can write about anything he wants to, and can decide how much space is taken up by whatever he desires.}  

Moma Porcupine writes:

"I did find a Sand Hill Indian history website which includes more complete genealogical information - along with the origins of the Sand Hill Indians which names names and explains lines of descent . This is the website belonging to Claire Garland -.http://www.sandhillindianhistory.org/  ( I am quoting from various chapters within this website - just to give a brief summery )  Quote  Finding themselves on the losing side of European conflicts, Joseph and Rebecca Richardson lost their homelands in the Cherokee territory of Georgia and migrated north on the Appalachian Trail with their twelve children to join relatives in New Jersey. The youngest son, Isaac Revey Richardson, was born April 10, 1818 in Eatontown village at the family home on South Street and Richardson Avenue. Isaac Revey Richardson was the grandfather of Ryers Crummel, Adeline Richardson Thomas, Robert Richardson, Jonathan Richardson, Julian Russell Richardson, Charlotte Richardson, Theodora Richardson Bell and James and Robert Revey.  Quote  After hiding out in the mountains for a while, Ike's forefathers chose to make a better life for themselves by moving north following the Appalachian Trail.  They lived with their Lenape cousins, the Reveys in the area called Shrewsbury, of which Eatontown village and the hamlet of Tinton Falls were a small section. Since Isaac married Elizabeth Revey from New York, part of the Sand Hill history is tied to Manhattan.  Quote  In 1818 full-blooded Cherokee Indian, Isaac Revey Richardson, was born to Rebecca and Joseph Richardson in the small village of Eatontown , NJ, (just a few years after the British burned the White House). Indian Ike was the youngest of twelve siblings, some of whom remained in the mountains of Georgia when the family left or migrated westward to Ohio , Indiana or Oklahoma and were never heard from again  Quote  In 1826 Ike's parents, Rebecca and Joseph Richardson, bought property near South Street in Eatontown village, near several other Revey and Richardson families. Quote Ike's four sons, Isaac W., Theodore, Richard and Joseph Richardson, owned fifteen acres of farmland at Sand Hill buying the property in 1877  Quote  In 1844 Ike married Elizabeth S. Revey, a distant cousin from New York, at the Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. Her parents, Susan and Richard P Revey, are buried at the Indian Burial Grounds, now called Shadow Lawn Cemetery on Squankum Road in Tinton Falls, NJ. Ike bought property in 1845 near his parents near the Pine Brook on Richardson Avenue in Eatontown village. Isaac and Elizabeth's four sons, Isaac W., Theodore, Richard, Joseph, and four daughters, Emma, Elizabeth, Susan, Restella (and one stillborn child) were born there Quote A relative Jonathan Richardson was "bounded out for a period of one year to Jacob Corlies". If he remained for the year, he would receive three months of schooling and a new suit of clothes.  http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:NxaE96oeLkcJ:sandhillindianhistory.org/chapter6.pdf+%22Sand+Hill%22+Crummell&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca  Quote  Chapter 6  The Family Grows  http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Iv-PSu6H8KYJ:sandhillindianhistory.org/chapter7.pdf+site:sandhillindianhistory.org+Cherokee+Crummel+%22new+jersey%22&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca "

Shkaakwus replies:

Yeah.  I posted a link to this website of Claire Garland's at the Woodland Indians Forum, over a year ago, on March 16, 2008, and recommended it to everybody; and, I posted a link to that post near the end of the Sand Hill Indian Pictorial thread, at that same forum, which you've been reading. Not sure what it is you're trying to prove by posting all this.  It's traditional oral history of the Richardson descendants, for the most part.  I particularly liked this passage regarding the Richardsons--just after moving north, from Georgia: "They lived with their Lenape cousins, the Reveys in the area called Shrewsbury..."  So, these "unrelated" Cherokee Richardsons called the Lenape Reveys their "COUSINS"!  LOL!  (I hope I don't have to explain the wry irony in this statement, given what's transpired, to date, on this thread!)

Moma Porcupine writes:

"Quote  Chapter 7  The Clan Expands  What I found interesting is some of the family names of people related to the Sand Hill Indians I see in this source. i listed most of them below ...

Richardson  Revey  Crummell  Morris*  Vandeveer*  Thomas*  Burkhard*  Bell*  Fox*  Coleman*  Johnson  Cook*  Clark*  Fitzgerald*  Dickerson*

I also found some old photos of the Sand hill Indians ( Yeah I know Ray has posted links to some other pictures already )

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gjUqYLfH5ugC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=%22Sand+Hill%22+
Crummell&source=bl&ots=ofBPW_pKlc&sig=eK_rxbddfUqxmFK2cHW1n94pafk&hl=en&ei=r3cUSriSLaaItA
PhkJzfDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

Quote  Neptune and Shark River Hills  By Evelyn Stryker Lewis  Edition: illustrated  Published by Arcadia Publishing, 1998  ISBN 0738556998, 9780738556994  128 pages In 1949 there is a picture of Sand Hill people surnamed  Bell*  Gardener*  Dickerson*  Thomas*  Fox*  (Gaines ?)  Holman*  James ( Lone Bear) Revey  Richardson  Crummell   The thing that strikes me is the differences between the family names given by these sources and the names on Beelers website . http://www.sandhillindians.org/familynames.htm   Beelers list has James Revey's name at the end of it and a date of 1973. If James Revey made this list, as it appears,  I am not sure why it seems to not include many of the closely related family members who were Sand Hill Indians ."

Shkaakwus replies:

As I already wrote, in a previous post, the Sand Hill Indians enumerated, on their rolls, the New Jersey Indian families with whom they associated, over the years, beginning in 1887.  The names changed over time, as other Cherokee and Lenape people, previously unassociated, arrived in Monmouth County, or, simply, came to be known.  (Such is the case with the Holloways.)  Jim Revey cited names from several of these rolls, on lists he compiled for various purposes.  He only cited Indian surnames.  He didn't list the surnames of non-Indians who married into the band.  These lists you cite include many non-Indian names of this latter sort.  To my knowledge, Jim never made a single complete list.  He'd just name some, usually from memory, if he was just talking to you--or, jotted them down on a piece of paper.  In one published list, for example, he gives the names, Douglas, Myers, Crummel, Whitaker, Richardson, Waters, Horner, Armstrong, Clay, Ashton, Van Etta, Hill, Ray and Revey.  [Weslager, Clinton A., Magic Medicines of the Indians, Somerset, NJ (1973), page 125.]  As you can see, a lot of these names are NOT found in the lists you quoted, but many (though not all) are included in the list on Sam Beeler's website.  This all goes back to the two competing definitions of "Sand Hill Indian."  Some confine the term to the Revey-Richardson family.  Others include all those listed on the rolls kept by the Sand Hill Indians.  The lists you cite adhere to the first definition.  The lists published by C. A. Weslager and Sam Beeler accord with the second definition.  And, by the way, individuals in the New Jersey American Indian Hill, Ray and Douglas families were Jim Revey's direct ancestors.  They aren't anywhere to be found on Claire Garland's website, because they don't fit the more narrow definition of Sand Hill Indian she favors.

Moma Porcupine writes:

"And of course the other question that comes up is how does Sam Beelers grandmother Sarah Holloway connect with this family which was named for the place they lived _ Sand Hill ?"

Shkaakwus replies:

Once again, you fail to recognize that most Sand Hill Indians did not live on Sand Hill (no matter which definition of Sand Hill Indian you choose).  This could all be cleared up, nicely, if those who cleaned out Jim Revey's office, after he died, would release the documents and rolls he held at the office.  (Providing, of course, they weren't all thrown out in the garbage.)  In any case, see Sam Beeler's certification as a Sand Hill Indian, here: http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=25830#p25830   The Holloway connection to the Sand Hill Indians is geographical and temporal (at least, in the main).  The Cherokee, Sarah Holloway, was born in Sea Bright, Monmouth County, NJ, in 1900, where her family was then living.  She would have been enumerated in the Sand Hill Indian rolls, early in the 20th-century, evidently.  Sea Bright is about 4 miles down the Shrewsbury River from Eatontown (where Ike Richardson was born); 2 miles from Little Silver (where Johnson Revey lived); and about 6 miles from where Claire Garland lives, today.  And, for a time, Sarah Holloway's family resided at Whitesville, in Neptune--the location of Sand Hill.  A photograph of Sarah Holloway, in Indian regalia, can be seen in the Sand Hill Indian Pictorial thread, at Woodland Indians Forum, here: http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2609 [picture #5].

Moma Porcupine writes:

"And lastly in reply to a few of the more personal comments   shkaakwus  Quote  If I didn't know that you're deliberately misquoting what I wrote, for your own purposes, I'd think you're in dire need of some reading comprehension exercises.  I NEVER said this letter was "written by Herbert C. Kraft."   Actually i'm deliberately trying to be polite and stay with the actual questions without getting diverted into who has the stupidest most obnoxious personality. In this case you are absolutely right. I did misread what you wrote and i am very sorry for thinking you made a typo when it was a problem in my own reading comprehension."

"shkaakwus  Quote  The letter proves he did know Sam Beeler--contrary to your conjectural interpretation of his words.  I never asked if Revey actually knew or met Beeler and you are inventing a question which wasn't there  Presumably Mr Revey met many people who were distant relative who he liked.  That doesn't make them all chiefs of the Sand Hill band. Obviously whether or not Mr revey actually met Sam beeler and liked him is not relevent to Beelers claim to be Revey's successor as Chief of the Sand hill's band."

Shkaakwus replies:

Your poor reading comprehension skills are showing, again.  The quotation:  "The letter proves he did know Sam Beeler" does not refer to Jim Revey!  It refers to Herbert C. Kraft.  So, right after apologizing for misreading what I wrote, you do the exact same thing, again!  

Moma Porcupine writes:

"shkaakwus  Quote  Herbert C. Kraft's lament over the passing of his friend had NOTHING to do with the Sand Hill Indian "chieftaincy." Yes, you have a good point there and that is something else I noticed. This seems to be more evidence supporting the version of the story that Mr Revey was more of a patriarch than a Chief. If James Revey was the Chief of the Sand Hill band, surely this would also have been mentioned in the obituary?"  

Shkaakwus replies:

Above, you cite the book, Neptune and Shark River Hills, By Evelyn Stryker Lewis.  In a recent post (May 2, 2009) at the Archaeological Society of New Jersey List, Evelyn Stryker Lewis wrote:  "As former curator of the Neptune Historical Museum and Neptune Township historian it was my pleasure to know Jim Lone Bear Revey as a colleague and friend. The museum hosted a standing exhibit on the Sand Hill Indians of Neptune (of which he was chief) as well as archives documenting their history and geneological descent -made available mostly through Jim's generosity."  [boldface type supplied by Shkaakwus]  You have to understand the Lenape concept of who is a "Chief."  A Chief is somebody who is regarded as such by his people, and recognized as such by others.  In the old days, the same word ("kikeyjumhet") was used for "elder" (cf. "patriarch") and "chief" in Lenape communities.  

Moma Porcupine writes:

"Quote  when I was here last time you actually called all of the Sand Hill Indians PODIA's, and once even suggested that they might be Chinese!  LOL!  If this thread was about Claire Garland, instead of Sam Beeler, you'd be after her.  I don't want to get sucked into arguing with you about what was and wasn't said. if anyone cares and doesn't miond getting a headache I uploaded the first page of that discussion into a google doc.  People can read for themselves what was said - in context - in the link below.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcwzmv4g_114d36phrgx "

Shkaakwus replies:

Excellent!  Thank you.

Moma Porcupine writes:

"Yes if Claire Garland was making the same claims as Sam Beeler and using what looked like flakey out of context history to support these claims I would have the same reasons to be skeptical. She isn't.  Maybe this is just a problem caused by unclear communication and as you know a lot about Sam Beeler's version of this history maybe you can provide more details about the names , connections and missing links and clear up these misunderstandings.  For instance , perhaps you could explain how Beelers grandmother Sarah Holloway connects to the Sand Hill Indians - Or in other words, how does Sarah Holloway connect to the Richardson or Revey families , and if she doesn't, why is Beeler and Holloway calling themselves Sand Hill Indians?"

Shkaakwus replies:

This is all kind of redundant, at this point, since I've answered it above.  One more time:  You're still hung up on accepting a definition of who is a Sand Hill Indian that isn't the only one out there.  Let me see if these selected passages help explain the wider definition.  Jim Revey wrote:

"Those Indians who lived in the Pohatcong and Schooley Mountains about four generations ago all came down from the mountains to live in the towns in Morris County and elsewhere.  Some of these Delaware Indians intermarried with Indians of Monmouth County years ago." [Note by Shkaakwus:  These mountains are located in Morris County and Warren (formerly, Sussex) County, NJ.]  

"There were also intermarriages between Burlington County Indians with those who remained in Monmouth County."

"Cherokee and other Indians from the South came into Pennsylvania and then crossed the Delaware River into New Jersey.  Some of these Cherokee Indians married with the Indians living in Monmouth County, thus bringing more Indian blood and some new family names."

"In 1887, a list was made of the names of Indian people who lived in Monmouth County and elsewhere.  The list includes the Indians that had intermarried with the Indians from Morris and Burlington Counties, and their families."

"...by 1890 the people were beginning to move away from Sand Hill."

"The great majority of Sand Hill Indians have lived away from the Sand Hill for forty-five to fifty years or more."
 [source:  "The Delaware Indians of New Jersey, from Colonial Times to the Present" by James "Lone Bear" Revey, in Kraft, H. C., ed., The Lenape Indian:  A Symposium, South Orange, NJ (1984), pp.81 & 82 - words in boldface supplied by Shkaakwus, for emphasis]

In an attempt to make a long story short, Sam Beeler's Sand Hill Indians include all those American Indian families from the 1887--and subsequent--Sand Hill Indian rolls.  These are the families named on the lists published by Weslager and Beeler, cited above.  These families were either ancestral to, or near neighbors of, those living on Sand Hill.  

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:43:50 pm by shkaakwus »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2009, 02:56:00 am »
shkaakwus

So far you have presented a lot of old records, and pictures showing the descendents and close relatives of the Richardson, Revey and Crummell families who lived at Sand Hill . You have shown evidence these families were recognized as Indian, and that these specific families retained parts of their political and cultural identity up until the present times. We all agree about that.

You are also saying there was 11 other families ( or more ) who lived in the area who were also Sand Hill Indians. According to Beeler and associates , these other families were also recognized as Indian , and their descendents also retained parts of their political and cultural identity up until present . You say James Revey listed the names of some of these other familes as being Douglas, Myers, Whitaker, Horner, Armstrong, Clay, Ashton, Van Etta, Hill, Ray.

While I will take your word for the fact this list was made, and that at some point in time there was people with these surnames in the area who were Indians, in itself this list doesn't provide any explaination of who these families were, and how and if they were related to the Sand Hill Indians. Even if these families were Indian back in - say - 1820, unless they continued to intermarry with other families who can be shown to also be Indian, it's extremely unlikely they retained anything of a political or cultural identity . It's very common for urban areas to have a substantial population of Indians from other places. But not all Indians who's families live in an urban area are of the same tribe. There was also many completely non native people with these same common surnames.

I don't see where anyone has presented any evidence which shows why any families with these surnames should be considered Sand Hill Indians. Instead it seems these families are being sandwiched in with the families that did live at Sand Hill, and who can be shown to have retained their identity and culture.

I know that it would be a lot to provide a full family history for each of these , but starting with just one example , could you provide some information on who the oldest known ancestor of the family who was surnamed Douglas, that Beeler is considering a Sand Hill Indian ? What was this persons first name ? When and where were they born ? Where did they live? Who did they marry ? Who were their children and grandchildren ? What was their tribe ? You say James Revey is a direct descendent of this family. Could you please explain how ? What evidence is there this family was Indian and that descendents OF THIS FAMILY, who are now claiming to be Sand Hill Indians , actually were Sand Hill Indians who retained their cultural and political identity ? ( I am NOT asking for more evidence showing the Revey's Richardsons and Crummells, who lived at Sand Hill, were Indians,  I'm asking about the Douglas family here... )

You also provided some evidence showing Sarah Holloway was a Sand Hill Indian.       

You point to a picture of Sarah Holloway in an Indian craft store . The store is said to be located in Paterson and is said to belong to the Sand Hill Indians . Sarah is posing for the picture wearing a light colored outfit with fringes and a head band holding a blanket. Standing on the other side of the room and beside or behind the counter are 3 other woman wearing similar dark brown outfits with fringes and head bands. They are obviously staff at the store. It isn't clear if the woman on the left identified as Sarah Holloway is a customer or a worker.

You also posted a link to a scanned document which states Sam Beeler is a Sand Hill Indian through his grandmother Sarah Holloway and this document is signed James Revey .

I see the same document posted here by someone who is a strong supporter of the Paterson Sand Hill claiments.

1900 – Chief Sam Beeler’s grandmother, Sarah Holloway is born in Monmouth County into the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians as part of the Keetowah Bird Clan.

1930 – Chief Sam Beeler’s mother, Roemena Ali, is born to Sarah Holloway of the Keetowah (Kithuwagi) Bird Clan of the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians.
Links to a scanned document
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2868783501/sizes/l/in/set-72157606454376580/

1950 – Chief Sam Beeler is born in Paterson into the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians.  He is the Grandson of Sarah Holloway of the Keetowah (Kithuwagi) Bird Clan and son of Roemena Alli.  The birth certification is signed by Chief James “Lone Bear” Revey from the New Jersey Indian Office in Orange, NJ.
Links to a scanned document
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2869611846/sizes/m/in/set-72157606454376580/

Below is copies of the James Revey signitures from the 2 different documents linked to above. I enlarged these put these side by side for comparison ...   

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcwzmv4g_119c66s86hk

As far as I can see ,  the signiture on both certificates looks pretty much identical. Even to the exact positions of the gaps in the lines left by the pen.

I'm not sure how to inturpret this .

Considering all this, I'd like to see much more complete details as to who these other families are, and an explanation as to why Beeler and associates feel these families should be considered Sand Hill Indians . If the details of these other families names and histories were further explained , it would allow people to see if their claims could be verified through historical facts and primary documentation , independant of peoples  personal agendas.     

If Sarah Holloway was Cherokee and she was born in the area, it makes sense that Sam Beeler would have grown up in a family which for 3 generations had felt an affinity with the Sand Hill band and their shared Cherokee heritage. But that would not in itself make Sarah's descendents members of this tribe.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:00:02 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline shkaakwus

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2009, 10:29:30 pm »
Moma Porcupine writes:

"So far you have presented a lot of old records, and pictures showing the descendents and close relatives of the Richardson, Revey and Crummell families who lived at Sand Hill . You have shown evidence these families were recognized as Indian, and that these specific families retained parts of their political and cultural identity up until the present times. We all agree about that."

Well...  I guess we're making progress.

"You are also saying there was 11 other families ( or more ) who lived in the area who were also Sand Hill Indians."

Not exactly.  What I said was that Indian families related to the Reveys and Richardsons--and, other Indian families living in Monmouth County, New Jersey--were listed on the Sand Hill Indian rolls, beginning in 1887.  Those related families resided in other New Jersey counties (Burlington, Morris, Warren, Sussex and Passaic), in large part, though some did live in Monmouth County.    

"According to Beeler and associates , these other families were also recognized as Indian , and their descendents also retained parts of their political and cultural identity up until present ."

Change "their descendants" to "some of their descendants," and we're in agreement.

"You say James Revey listed the names of some of these other familes as being Douglas, Myers, Whitaker, Horner, Armstrong, Clay, Ashton, Van Etta, Hill, Ray."

Correct.

"While I will take your word for the fact this list was made, and that at some point in time there was people with these surnames in the area who were Indians, in itself this list doesn't provide any explaination of who these families were, and how and if they were related to the Sand Hill Indians. Even if these families were Indian back in - say - 1820, unless they continued to intermarry with other families who can be shown to also be Indian, it's extremely unlikely they retained anything of a political or cultural identity . It's very common for urban areas to have a substantial population of Indians from other places. But not all Indians who's families live in an urban area are of the same tribe. There was also many completely non native people with these same common surnames."

1. You don't have to take my word for it, but Jim Revey's--the published sources of whose lists I cited, previously.  2. That "area" where there were people with these surnames who were Indians includes the counties I mentioned, above--not just Monmouth County.  3. These families were Indian in 1887 (and thereafter), when the Sand Hill Indian rolls were compiled.  You don't have to go back to 1820.  4.  First:  Acculturation and assimilation have altered the lifestyles of New Jersey's Indian population, to no greater extent than they have changed the way of life of other Indians, living elsewhere (such as members of the CNO, UKB, EBC, or Delaware Tribe of Indians).  In some respects, even less.  Second:  Jim Revey also wrote:  "Many of these people now in Monmouth County married close relatives in order to keep their degree of Indian blood high."  ["The Delaware Indians of New Jersey: From Colonial Times to the Present," in Kraft, H. C., ed., The Lenape Indian:  A Symposium, South Orange, NJ (1984), p.81.] He wasn't particularly happy to write those words, but he did write them, truthfully.  Of course, intermarriage with other races has taken place frequently, as well--like in many other tribes.  5. The Sand Hill Indians are an amalgam of different tribes, to begin with:  Lenape, Cherokee, some Tuscarora (according to their own oral history), and, perhaps, others (though I don't know of any others).  6.  Most of these Indians were living in very rural areas in 1887.    

"I don't see where anyone has presented any evidence which shows why any families with these surnames should be considered Sand Hill Indians. Instead it seems these families are being sandwiched in with the families that did live at Sand Hill, and who can be shown to have retained their identity and culture."

If you don't believe the people listed on the Sand Hill Indian roll of 1887 (and later such rolls) are Sand Hill Indians, then you never will see it.  These families are the relations and near neighbors of those living at or close to Sand Hill.  That is the evidence!

"I know that it would be a lot to provide a full family history for each of these , but starting with just one example , could you provide some information on who the oldest known ancestor of the family who was surnamed Douglas, that Beeler is considering a Sand Hill Indian ?"

Yes.

"What was this persons first name ?"

Squire.

"When and where were they born ?"

He was born March 1, 1760, on a voyage from Virginia to Newton, Sussex County, New Jersey.

"Where did they live?"

Sussex County, New Jersey.  (Union County, New Jersey, during the final few years of his life.)  

"Who did they marry ?"

I don't know his wife's name.

"Who were their children and grandchildren ?"

I'm not going to do a lot of free genealogical research for you.  However, his daughter, Malinda Douglas, married Abraham Ray, and their children were Louisa, James, Sarah, Isaac, Abraham, Philip, Susan and George.

"What was their tribe ?"

Lenape.

"You say James Revey is a direct descendent of this family. Could you please explain how ?"

Chief Douglas was Jim Revey's great-great-great grandfather, being his mother's mother's father's mother's father.

"What evidence is there this family was Indian and that descendents OF THIS FAMILY, who are now claiming to be Sand Hill Indians , actually were Sand Hill Indians who retained their cultural and political identity ? ( I am NOT asking for more evidence showing the Revey's Richardsons and Crummells, who lived at Sand Hill, were Indians,  I'm asking about the Douglas family here... )"

The evidence is Jim Revey's surname lists drawn from the 1887 Sand Hill Indian roll and other Sand Hill Indian records.  Two living descendants "OF THIS FAMILY" (i.e., "Douglas") that I know of, are Jim Revey's two nieces.  While I know some of the folks now enrolled in the Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians, I certainly don't know all of them, nor do I have access to their membership records.  However, I do know that anyone who can prove descendancy from this Douglas family is eligible for enrollment--just as anyone who can prove descendancy from a Cherokee named on the Dawes Roll is eligible for enrollment in the CNO; and, just as is the case with any lineage-based federally recognized tribe.  

"You also provided some evidence showing Sarah Holloway was a Sand Hill Indian.  You point to a picture of Sarah Holloway in an Indian craft store . The store is said to be located in Paterson and is said to belong to the Sand Hill Indians . Sarah is posing for the picture wearing a light colored outfit with fringes and a head band holding a blanket. Standing on the other side of the room and beside or behind the counter are 3 other woman wearing similar dark brown outfits with fringes and head bands. They are obviously staff at the store. It isn't clear if the woman on the left identified as Sarah Holloway is a customer or a worker."

It is my understanding that she was the proprietor.

"You also posted a link to a scanned document which states Sam Beeler is a Sand Hill Indian through his grandmother Sarah Holloway and this document is signed James Revey .  I see the same document posted here by someone who is a strong supporter of the Paterson Sand Hill claiments. http://gardenstatepol.com/blog/?p=343  Quote  1900 - Chief Sam Beeler's grandmother, Sarah Holloway is born in Monmouth County into the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians as part of the Keetowah Bird Clan.  Quote  1930 - Chief Sam Beeler's mother, Roemena Ali, is born to Sarah Holloway of the Keetowah (Kithuwagi) Bird Clan of the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians.  Links to a scanned document http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2868783501/sizes/l/in/set-72157606454376580/  Quote
1950 - Chief Sam Beeler is born in Paterson into the New Jersey Sand Hill Band of Lenape and Cherokee Indians.  He is the Grandson of Sarah Holloway of the Keetowah (Kithuwagi) Bird Clan and son of Roemena Alli.  The birth certification is signed by Chief James "Lone Bear" Revey from the New Jersey Indian Office in Orange, NJ.  Links to a scanned document
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2869611846/sizes/m/in/set-72157606454376580/
Below is copies of the James Revey signitures from the 2 different documents linked to above. I enlarged these put these side by side for comparison ... http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcwzmv4g_119c66s86hk   As far as I can see ,  the signiture on both certificates looks pretty much identical. Even to the exact positions of the gaps in the lines left by the pen.  I'm not sure how to inturpret this ."

Allow me to help you.  I see two possible interpretations:  1. One or both certifications are forgeries.  2. James Revey affixed his signature to both certifications with a rubber signature stamp or self-inking signature stamp.  (He did run a busy craft company and the New Jersey Indian Office, which two pursuits necessitated a large correspondence.)  Without seeing the originals, it is impossible to tell which is the case.  I can testify to this much:  The stationery is authentic, the signature is Jim's signature and his signature is located where Jim signed almost all of his correspondence to me.  In addition, he sometimes did use a typewriter.  I have a good number of personal letters from Jim Revey, on which I base this information I'm telling you.  More than this, I can't say.

"Considering all this, I'd like to see much more complete details as to who these other families are, and an explanation as to why Beeler and associates feel these families should be considered Sand Hill Indians . If the details of these other families names and histories were further explained , it would allow people to see if their claims could be verified through historical facts and primary documentation , independant of peoples  personal agendas."

I'm afraid the documentation you require is probably non-existent, for the most part.  Census enumerators were instructed to list the "color or race" of people "by observation," until 1960.  And, no federal census prior to 1930 is available to the public until 2012, when the 1940 census is made public.  It was an extremely rare instance when they listed Indians, who were citizens of the United States (as opposed to enrolled reservation Indians), as "Indians," in the eastern states.  Other records weren't much better.  After explaining the problems with using census and other records to prove Indian ancestry in New Jersey, Jim Revey wrote, "But Indian people in the state were able to keep their own records of the Indian families luckily and we know who they are."  [James Revey, personal correspondence, 22 Aug 1984]

"If Sarah Holloway was Cherokee and she was born in the area, it makes sense that Sam Beeler would have grown up in a family which for 3 generations had felt an affinity with the Sand Hill band and their shared Cherokee heritage. But that would not in itself make Sarah's descendents members of this tribe."

You're forgetting the certifications.  As I've said, before, let those who now hold the records of the Sand Hill Indians, which were taken from the New Jersey Indian Office, release the names on the various historical rolls and documents of the Sand Hill Indians, if what we have doesn't satisfy you. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:28:49 am by shkaakwus »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 02:24:48 am »
( some of what i'm replying to here is comments from Shkakwus's original post which were later edited ...sorry but I can't rewrite what i'm responding to when stuff gets edited later...  )

Shkakwus
I'm not going to do a lot of free genealogical research for you.

You're the one who started this thread , and you' re the one wanting to defend Sam Beelers claims.

I am giving you an opprotunity to do this by pointing out some of the obvious questions.

I'm not hoping to become a member of the Sand Hill band, so you don't need to worry about doing me any unpaid favors...

I do accept your explanation that at least some of these people are distant relatives to the group of people who lived at Sand Hill , in much the same way as people with a Cherokee gr gr gr gr gr grandma who left the tribe before people went to Oklahoma might be a distant relative to people in the UKB even though they can't rightly claim to be the UKB. 

It seems the key point of contention is that the people who's families actually lived at Sand Hill are objecting to the descendents of people who were distant relations or nieghbors using the history of their families and the name of their community which was located at Sand Hill, to legitimize themselves.

What were indigenous people in the area called before the Richardson / Revey and Crummell families took up residence at Sand Hill? Wouldn't this be a more appropriate name for the descendents of families who were not those who lived at Sand Hill?

I also am wondering about the "rolls" you keep mentioning.... 

Reply #52
The definition of Sam Beeler's group includes the above people, but also extends the name to include other New Jersey Indian families whose names were kept on the rolls of the Sand Hill Indians, beginning in 1887, when the Sand Hill Indians' first list of Indian families in NJ was compiled.
Reply #58
The evidence is Jim Revey's surname lists drawn from the 1887 Sand Hill Indian roll and other Sand Hill Indian records.

Reply #56
As I already wrote, in a previous post, the Sand Hill Indians enumerated, on their rolls, the New Jersey Indian families with whom they associated, over the years, beginning in 1887.  The names changed over time, as other Cherokee and Lenape people, previously unassociated, arrived in Monmouth County, or, simply, came to be known.  (Such is the case with the Holloways.)  Jim Revey cited names from several of these rolls, on lists he compiled for various purposes.  He only cited Indian surnames.  He didn't list the surnames of non-Indians who married into the band.

shkaakwus
reply # 58
If you don't believe the people listed on the Sand Hill Indian roll of 1887 (and later such rolls) are Sand Hill Indians, then you never will see it.  These families are the relations and near neighbors of those living at or close to Sand Hill.  That is the evidence!
So, I'm not clear what exactly you are talking about.

Did this 1887 list simply include all the surnames someone believed were used by Lenape or Cherokee or other Native families in the area at some point in the past 200 years, or did this 1887 list include identifiable individuals with first and last names and family relationships who were all living members of the Sand Hill community as it existed in 1887 ? What were the names of the people who wrote recorded these rolls, and who were they given to? Is the original rolls that were written in 1887 still in exisitnce ? Who has this original list now and who gave it to them ? I would be interested to know the history of these alleged pieces of paper.

How come nobody has scanned that document and put it on line?

James Revey wasn't even born in 1887 , so presumably this list would include many people who weren't alive in his own lifetime.  You have said Revey made various lists for various purposes.

Revey was the Chairman of the New Jersey Indian Office. Did this office only represnt the descendents of the 3 families who lived at Sand Hill, or did this office rerpresent people of various tribal origins living in NJ?

Why do Beeler and associates feel sure everyone named on these lists was considered by Revey to be a Sand Hill Indian? 

shkaakwus
I'm afraid the documentation you require is probably non-existent, for the most part.

shkaakwus
However, I do know that anyone who can prove descendancy from this Douglas family is eligible for enrollment--just as anyone who can prove descendancy from a Cherokee named on the Dawes Roll is eligible for enrollment in the CNO; and, just as is the case with any lineage-based federally recognized tribe.

So if Squire Douglas was born in 1760,  in theory that would include some people who's ancestors continues to marry back into the native or mixed blood community and it would also include people who's only Indian ancsetor was someone who was born in 1760 and who's family has had no contact with a Native community for 200 years  ... 

shkaakwus (  I see this comment is now edited out but I will reply anyways ...)
If you're a descendant of somebody on the Dawes Roll, that would, in itself, make you a member of the CNO, if you so choose.  Why do you suppose the rules would be different for the Sand Hill Indians?

For one thing the Dawes rolls were not a historic list of the surnames of Cherokee forebears who lived hundreds of years ago . The Dawes rolls were made at the time these people were living, and they recorded identifiable individuals with first and last names and often included information on family relationships. The people on these lists with few exceptions is people who were at the time members of the Cherokee community.       

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/tutorial/dawes/#about
The Rolls contain more than 101,000 names from 1898-1914 (primarily from 1899-1906). They can be searched to discover the enrollee's name, sex, blood degree, and census card number. The census card may provide additional genealogical information, and may also contain references to earlier rolls, such as the 1880 Cherokee census. A census card was generally accompanied by an "application jacket". The jackets then sometimes contain valuable supporting documentation, such as birth and death affidavits, marriage licenses, and correspondence.
The other problem is lots of old historic records list Native people who the present day tribe decides are too distantly related to be considered members of the community.

Different tribes have different ways of defining this, and I think it's imprtant it be left to the authorities within tibes to define this. In this case it's more easily confused because the descendents of the 3 families that actually lived at Sand Hill consider themselves more as a clan , so there is no undisputed authorities who are recognized as having the right to define this. However, the fact remains that most the history and evidence of a recognizable continuously existing Native community , relies heavily on the history of the Revey , Richardson and Crummell families that lived at Sand Hill. So it seems to me it is those people who are undisputably closely related to those 3 families who should have the right to say how their family history and the name of the community that existed at Sand Hill, is used.   

Shkakwus
Jim Revey wrote, "But Indian people in the state were able to keep their own records of the Indian families luckily and we know who they are."  [James Revey, personal correspondence, 22 Aug 1984]

Right . And the people who ARE James Revey's family and relatives who actually lived at Sand Hill seem to be saying the gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr great grandchildren who descended from some distant ancestor who was born in 1760 are NOT Sand Hill Indians.

Maybe these other families are really truely Indians,  and are really truely a wrongly unrecognized tribe,  but if they are it seems fair to expect them to  demonstrate this using their own families history, not by borrowing the history of their neighbors and distant cousins.   

One of the things that bothers me about this situation is I see people who do descend from the families who have an indisputable right to claim to be descendents of the Sand Hill Indians being attacked .

http://www.bluejersey.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=9056

Courtroom Drama at the NJ Commission on American Indian Affairs - UPDATED
by: carolh
Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 01:04:31 AM EDT

One woman, named Claire Garland from the Township of Neptune Historical Association, at least it WAS called that, up till a year and a half ago, when they decided to call themselves the Sand Hill Indian Historical Association and proceeded to tell all the other 13 families of the Sand Hill Band of Indians - the actual TRIBE - that they were imposters.

From what I found it looks like Claire has been involved in maintaining her families history well before 2006.

http://www.njea.org/page.aspx?a=2374
NJEA Frederick L. Hipp Foundation for Excellence in Education Project Directory
2001-2002 Projects and Coordinators

The Life and Times of Cherokee Indian Ike
Claire Garland

Tinton Falls Schools
674 Tinton Ave.
Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
732/542-0775

Carolh reffering to Holloway , from the bluejersey link above

He made his case expertly with document after document, skewering the arguments of Claire Garland and ending with the photograph of Claire with Sam Beeler, who Claire has repeatedly denied on the record, even knowing. 

What was so discrediting about Ms. Garland's testimony was that she actually lied about knowing Chief Sam Beeler, in recorded minutes at previous Commission meetings and then when confronted with a photo of her and Chief Beeler at an Indian event, which she denied was her.
(Photograph of Chief Sam Beeler and Claire Garland)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2869856786/

I'm don't know if thats Claire in the picture and if it is, I don't know if she actually denied this, or if this was some sort of misunderstanding.  I have a hard time imagining why she would deny knowing Beeler if she did. We all know people we disagree with and most of us have had our seemingly friendly smiling picture taken at public events with people we don't particualrly like. We all know people we try to get along with inspite of our differences. So what?

I really wonder why anyone would be presenting this picture as "evidence" . Evidence of what? Claire was obviously  aquainted with Sam Beeler. If she did seem to be denying this, I have to wonder if maybe she was confused by people making such a big issue over a non issue,  and she thought they must be refering to her trying to explain that Sam Beeler and his family were not known to Claire's family, who are James Revey's relatives, until after James Revey died ...

This is what Claire was reported as saying in other news articles...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/with_lawsuit_against_nj_little.html
With lawsuit against N.J., little-known Indian group is thrust into spotlight
by Joe Ryan/The Star-Ledger
March 22, 2009
(begins ...)
No one had ever heard of him in our family," said Garland, who lives in Lincroft and has compiled a 17-page family tree stretching back to 1790 using property deeds,obituaries and other records.

At first Beeler and the Neptune Sand Hills were cordial,
( Con...)

If things were cordial at first obviously Beeler knew the people he is now disagreeing with.

Claire's statement above appears to be colaberated by this comment made in October 2002 , from someone who seems to be completely uninvolved in this dispute .

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/BOWER/2002-10/1034008856

Subject: [BOWER] FW: Daniel W. BOWERS-1840 NJ
    Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:40:56 -0600

( This begins an explaination of some information this person has been tryting to find )

John married and had a son, Daniel W. born on
    June 21, 1840. In order for Daniel to get married to Rachael Gray sometime
    around 1860-1864, they went to PA to the Moravina Church in Bethlehem. Where he
    took the last name Bowers. They were full-blooded Lenni Lenape (Munsee). The
    man (James "Lone Bear" Revey) who had information on this worked at the East
    Orange, NJ Indian Bureau and has passed away a few years ago. No one
    there can find any of his (Lone Bear) work and does not know how to get a hold
    of his family. This seems odd to me.

The comment above does sound like this person had actually been in contact with the New Jersey Indian Office as this information does fit  with what Shkakwus said in a earlier post ;

Skakwus

This could all be cleared up, nicely, if those who cleaned out Jim Revey's office, after he died, would release the documents and rolls he held at the office.  (Providing, of course, they weren't all thrown out in the garbage.)

I'm not sure if the East Orange NJ Indian Bureau is the same as the new Jersey Indian Office, and I suppose it might have just been a misunderstanding, but the statement that "no one there knew how to get in touch with James Revey's family" does fit with what Claire Garland has said about her family not knowing Sam Beeler or his family until relatively recently.

At the time, Sam Beeler does appear to have been the Chairman of the New Jersey Indian Office located in Orange.     

I found this dated August 2002...

http://web.archive.org/web/20020820111913/http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1028538609242988.xml

City uncovers its Cherokee roots
Paterson exhibits Indian influences

Monday, August 05, 2002

That lack of awareness is understandable, says Beeler, chairman of the New Jersey Indian Office in Orange.

According to Shakawus, Beeler has been in the position of being Chairman of the New Jersey Indian Office since James Revey passed away - which was in 1998.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2868785243/sizes/m/in/set-72157606454376580/

What sort of a place was the New Jersey Indian Office?  Was there a lot of people who worked there in different offices , or was it just one office ?  Is the position of Chairnman of the New Jersey Indian Office an elected or appointed position and if it's appointed who has the authority to make this appointment? ?  Was Beeler invloved there before James Revey's death and did James Revey's appoint Sam Beeler to the position of Chairman ?

Prior to 1998 , were any of James Revey's relatives also involved in this office? Other than cleaning out Revey's office, after he passed on, did they remain involved ? If so what was their names?

I doubt I will have much more to say on this as I've already let you know all the things that look like gaps that need to be filled in. I want to support whoever is being respectful and telling the truth , but beyond that my own opinion is niether here nor there. The information you are providing is helping create a clearer picture of whats going on. 

Thanks for that.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:49:12 am by Moma_porcupine »