Author Topic: white privileges  (Read 5432 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
white privileges
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
i really enjoyed this concept of white privilege

http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=16054

On being an ally and being called out on your privilege
Privilege – within any given community, whether formal or ad hoc, social or professional, members will express varying levels of privilege. Some people will be playing the game on easy mode, others will be struggling with subtle and overtly oppressive societal and institutional structures. If you are a person of privilege who recognizes the reality of this imbalance and strives to make your community a more accessible and welcoming place to those who aren’t as privileged, you might identify yourself as an ally.

You are wrong.

Being an ally is not something you are, it’s something you do. “Ally” is not an identity, it is a set of behaviors that help acknowledge and promote underprivileged members of your community. But you have privileges that they do not and not all of your words and actions will fall under the banner of “being an ally”. Even if you consider yourself well-versed in your understanding of oppression and privilege, you will, eventually do or say something that reveals your privilege and is offensive, insensitive, or callous, if not outright cruel. The whole point of privilege is that it’s largely invisible to those who have it — including you. If you have colleagues that respect you, if people in the broader community value the work you do, if you are recognized as an important voice, people will call you out on your privilege.

How you respond to that criticism makes the difference between self-identifying as an ally, and actually being an ally.

I am going to propose a metaphor. It is necessarily imperfect. On the surface, it may seem to trivialize the issues of oppression and privilege. This is an unfortunate, but unavoidable consequence of the need to use an uncomfortable but uncontroversial situation to frame this issue. I believe this metaphor works, up to a point. It works for people who accept that privilege is real and has influence over the way we experience life. It works for people who recognize their own privilege exists and want to help build a more equitable society.  In short, it works for people who want to act as allies.

If you are engaged in the work of being an ally and genuinely believe that addressing issues of oppression and privilege in your community is a worthwhile goal, being called out on your privilege is akin to being informed that your fly is down.

Allow me to explain. Leaving your fly down is embarrassing for you, but, more importantly, it makes those around you uncomfortable. The egregiousness of the offense can vary from relatively innocuous to mortifyingly exposed. Some people may be so upset that they won’t be able to work with you. The longer you leave you fly open, the more upset people will be. And, most importantly, unless you actively check your fly, the only way you know it’s down is if somebody tells you.

Nobody wants to wander around with their fly open and you shouldn’t want to blunder through life with your privilege unchecked. But people aren’t perfect, and you will make mistakes. So how do you respond to being caught with you fly down or called out on your privilege?

Fix the problem. Your fly is down. Zip it up. Don’t make excuses. Don’t go on a long tangent about how you just came out of the restroom and it must have slipped your mind and the zipper on these pants is just not very good. Don’t defensively demand to know why they were looking at your fly to begin with. Don’t ignore this step and move on to the next. Zip up your fly.

Thank them. When someone tells you that your fly is down; when someone calls you out on your privilege, they are doing you a kindness. No one wants the embarrassment of walking around all day with their fly open. No one should want the embarrassment of wandering through life alienating their friends and colleagues through unexamined privilege. Calling this stuff out is hard. It is emotionally draining and it is a constant uphill battle for those of less privilege. A simple thank you is the very least you can do.

Move forward. Now that the immediate offense has been addressed, you need to step back and examine why you left your fly down and what you need to do to repair any relationships that you’ve damaged. Maybe it was fairly minor and all that’s needed is a simple apology. Maybe it was a horrific error and you’ve exposed yourself to a large group, who are now mortified and uncomfortable around you. Maybe there are people who now want nothing to do with you. You need to put the effort into understanding why your actions were so hurtful and what you can do to, if nothing else, avoid repeating the same problematic behavior.

Here’s the thing: It is not the responsibility of the person who told you your fly is down to also take you shopping for new pants. It is not the responsibility of the person who called you out on you privilege to educate you. That is your responsibility. If your friend is willing to help you down that road, that is great, but they are not obligated to do anything beyond telling you your fly is down. The rest is on you.

Remember, they’ve already done you a kindness by letting you know your fly is down, return that kindness by putting in the effort to learn from your mistakes.

Here is what you should not do. Don’t take your pants off and swing them around your head — when someone calls you out on your privilege, don’t double-down and make them even more uncomfortable. Don’t leave you fly down and insist it is their problem, not yours. Don’t talk about how horrible it is, for you, that someone pointed out your fly is down — the problem is not them pointing it out, the problem is that your fly is down. Don’t constantly force those involved to re-live the fly-down incident by retelling it over and over again in an attempt to justify your actions. Fix the problem. Thank them. Move forward.

What if I feel that someone was incredibly rude when telling me that my fly is down?

Fix the problem. Thank them. Move forward.

What if I feel like dozens or hundreds of people are ganging up on me because my fly is down?

Fix the problem. Thank them. Move forward.

What if I feel that the amount of anger being directed at me for being caught with my fly down is disproportionate to my offense?

Fix the problem. Thank them. Move forward. You don’t get to dictate how others respond to your actions.

What if there’s a roving horde of vigilante flycatchers brutally scrutinizing everything we do with the intention of pouncing on anyone for even the most minor infraction?

Does that actually change the fact that your fly was down? Fix the problem. Thank them. Move forward.

What if I intentionally left my fly down to make an incredibly sophisticated statement about the way in which having you fly down makes people uncomfortable?

You are not being an ally. You are being gross.

Honestly, this isn’t that hard. If you have privilege, you’re going to get called out on it. You’ll probably feel bad. You should feel bad. You’ve made your friends and colleagues uncomfortable and reminded them that you have unearned advantages they don’t. But getting called out on your privilege doesn’t make you a garbage monster any more than being told you fly is down makes you a flasher. How you respond to that criticism is what reveals who you are.
In Spirit

Offline DoctorLao

• NonNP; AngloAmer cultural/biological descent
Re: white privileges
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:04 pm »
Thanks to earthw7 for this feature, from a first-time poster. 

I just wanted to say, reading this reminded me vividly of some quotes from a Reason.com article in 2000, by Professor Alan Charles Kors (http://reason.com/archives/2000/03/01/thought-reform-101).  If I may:

< Amirall-Padamsee from Syracuse argues ... "students of color need to be nurtured as insightful leaders of our community" ... "they must be formally trained in anti-oppression theory and related skill building." "White students," in turn, "have to be trained as allies in change." (Ally is a code word in sensitivity training circles. As the "diversity facilitator" Hugh Vasquez of the Todos Institute explains in a widely used manual, an "ally" is someone from "the dominant group" who is aware of and articulates his unmerited privilege and who intervenes on behalf of mistreated groups.) >

< Bynes is a kind, accomplished, candid, and well-meaning woman. As she explains, "White people must have...sensitivity training...so that they can become aware of white privilege." Mandatory sensitivity training ideally should include both students and faculty, but "there are things that we can't dictate to the faculty because of the fact that they have a union." >

Always good reading such perspective, with a lot of what seems to be going on anymore, all around.

If the author's name sounds familiar, he spearheaded the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. And also has a book discussing these issues, called 'Shadow University.'   

(180IQ, I've read the newcomer / before you post pp - all helpful and clear, thanks. I got some other pages to read yet ...)
Gathers Frost

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
it seems ingrained in whites to want to own everything....from the physical and geographical all the way down to our identities......that is the white way

there are alot of nice white people though....and maybe some of them havent been as privileged as others....yet they still will compare their lives to ours

they just cant wrap their head around how even the poorest of them have more doors of opportunity open to them.....because they can "join the club".....we cant

we can accomplish everything they can but the playing field has NEVER been level for us.....ever

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »
Are we looking for open opportunities or are we searching for something what let us feel what does it mean: "to live"?
Aren´t we too often filled up with all those things we cannot recognize them anymore and we suffocate of a totaly stimulus satiation. We think we need all that things and events just not to lose anything and do not understand in our inner, what does make with us deep inside. We got no time, no calm to assimilate and understand, we are still crying for "feeling the liveliness" and by the way - the life passes away nevertheless.
Nerviness is our life foundation.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:00:07 am by Sturmboe »

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
the original post was about privilege as their perceived rights to OUR culture......i added how we feel about fighting back

either way i had went off topic some.........

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:41:54 am »
yes we are fighting back against those who think they have a right to my culture and way of life
In Spirit