Author Topic: Question About Supposedly Native American Shops and Sales....  (Read 4667 times)

ValSu

I came across a website selling "supposedly" Native American Art and other products such as drums.

I find it horrible that people would sell items that are spiritual or ceremonial. I thought Native American Indians would not get involved in selling such items so thought I would post the question here under this "Research Needed" for I honestly do not know if the selling of such items being advertised is right or wrong. To me, it feels wrong.

Are any of these places truly run by Native Americans and if so, is the money earned from such selling helping the tribes in any way? I honestly would hope so.

Here is one site that has this on main introduction page, in part,
"Grandfather's Spirit was born in 2001 and is based on a love of Native American culture and the Art of the Ancestors. Being part Native, I both honor and respect that which has been passed down from the Elders and from the generations of artisans whose art was their way of life.

Please stop awhile and enjoy what I have to offer. Many items are still not up on this site, so if there is someting that you are looking for please let me know. I will do my best to make it available."

http://www.grandfathersspirit.com/home.php

Again, the sale of some of the items I find rather questionable, even offensive since they are listed as Ceremonial. And also, again, aren't Ceremonial items personal and not to be sold?

Another website listing items and other things for sale:
Introduction page says this, in part,

Dennis is a yoga workshop leader, combining his music and his Native American heritage in his practice and instruction of yoga.  He is a Cherokee / Mesquaki descendent, a pipe carrier, sweat lodge leader and teacher of Native American spirituality.  Dennis is a singer / songwriter / story-teller who plays guitar and Native American flute.
http://www.hawksounds.com/index.htm

Sounds like a FRAUD to me but since I just read this today looking for flutes online came across the site.

I came across these at some site that claims, well; their introduction page says this, in part
Native American Gifts, Arts, Crafts,
and History

The Great Trading Path exists in two dimensions. First, as a
living conduit of trade in today's world, we have a fine collection
of Native American gifts, arts, crafts and jewelry. Secondly, on a level
of Indian history and heritage, we are building a collection of
links and original source documents focusing on the Indian history of the
American Upper South, the Virginia Souian in particular
http://www.greattradingpath.com/

Now, another site I find absolutely offensive is this one and the "About" page says this, in part:
In 1991, following a nearly fatal  appendix rupture, I found myself in the Quawitchta Mountains of Arkanasas.  For the purpose of a spiritual retreat.  During that week I became acquainted  with the Native Purification Ceremony, drumming around a fire, and quartz crystals.  Upon my return home, I made my first drum and started attending native purification lodge, the Inipi ceremony.  Before long, I was back to Arkansas for the purpose of digging Arkansas quartz crystals.  And that's how it all started.
http://yuwani.com/about.html

Sorry have not been able to find information on him or the others here so any information helpful

Also, if it really is okay for Indians to sell items, well, what kind of items are okay to sell? Also, where can one go to find truly honest and REAL sellers?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:25:46 am by ValSu »

ValSu

Re: Question About Supposedly Native American Shops and Sales....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:30:09 am »
Another site I just came across, says this in part,

Our Goal . . .
. . . is to provide the best quality products at fair and competitive prices, while bringing you, the customer, the very best service in the industry. ...

Since 1970 . .
. . . Crazy Crow Trading Post has offered American Indian arts & craft supplies, beginning first with custom made German silverwork. As business increased, three silversmiths were needed to meet the demand, and to help with shipping and other operations. Within two years, other products were added and our first catalog (just a price sheet) was printed.

In 1973, Crazy Crow & The American Indian Room opened an Indian store in Dallas, Texas to serve the local community and to handle mail order sales. Silverwork production and other distribution continued to be handled in Denison until 1978, when both operations were consolidated in Denison. During this time, buckskinning, muzzleloading and knife making supplies became an important part of our line and many more new items were added to what was becoming a true catalog.

Now, here we are, over 30 years later. Crazy Crow has grown from a single table at a powwow, to a modern 31,000 sq. ft. office and warehouse complex. From a single silversmith selling his work at powwows, we have grown to a staff of over thirty and a growing presence on the Web

http://www.crazycrow.com/about.php

I feel maybe a fake site just using the images to lure people into purchasing what they think are Native American items but, do not know. So, again looked here on site and did not find anything.

Also another site I came across,
Says this on title
"PineRidgeCrafts Help the Native People of Pine Ridge"

http://rezcreations.webs.com/

Real? Or fake?

Thanks for any advice, recommended real sites for purchase of items that are okay to purchase such as flutes and drums (for I love the music of the drums and flutes) I just do not want to buy from a fake.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:44:33 am by ValSu »

Offline Scott Brainard

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:15:12 pm »
Crazy Crow sells all sorts of arts/crafts supplies for "frontier days" re-enactors and things like porkie quills, leather, hairpipe, beads etc for making period Frontiersmen clothing and Native clothing/dance regalia.  I've never seen them to be exploitive but I'll leave that determination to the community members here.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »
Crazy Crow also carries old stock beads which are very difficult to find for restoring old beadwork.  They have very good prices on real sinew as well.

Teacher

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:53:05 am »
and blankets  ;)  I love the ones I've gotten from them.

ValSu

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:38:52 am »
Thank you so much for replies.

I will be checking out Crazy Crow. I read over that particular site again as I had more time and looks like a good one. I will wait to hear what others say too though.

Thanks all again.