Author Topic: Late Worm has arrived - late as usual  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Late Worm

Late Worm has arrived - late as usual
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »
"Late Worm" is my real Indian name - bequeathed to me by Pit River elder Williard Rhoades in 1970.  I was a defendant in a land occupation "tresspass" trial - along with about 20 others tresspassers.  We were all camped at Williard's place on the Big Bend Rancheria while the trial was going on.  One morning we got up to go to Burney (location of trial) and we were worried about being late.  My fellow defendant Oktaha Sans Harjo (aka Yellow Hand) quipped: "Remember - the early bird gets the worm!"   I replied: "Yeah...but the late worm misses the early bird!"  Williard looked at me and said:  "That's your Indian name - Late Worm.  I've been wondering what it was!" 

Reading this forum I see that I've known many of these suspects during my many years behind the Buckskin Curtain.  I think I can fill in some information gaps and add constructive criticism of the many topics in the pages of this forum.  I signed-on to the "indian movement" in the late 60s as a political man.  Over the years I witnessed the very powerful political struggle of native people being co-opted by the equally powerful popular culture manifestation of "Indian spirituality."  I hope I can make a positive contribution to this forum.