Author Topic: Canadian lynched in Peruvian Amazon, accused of killing an indigenous shaman  (Read 3168 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Canadian-lynched-in-Peruvian-Amazon-accused-of-12856397.php

It was October 2013 when Sebastian Woodroffe decided to quit his job and leave his home in Canada to study plant medicine in Peru. A relative's battle with alcoholism had inspired him to "fix the family's spirit" and pursue a career as an addictions counselor, he said in a YouTube video.

Woodroffe, then a 36-year-old father of a 4-year-old boy, began raising money for an apprenticeship with traditional healers in the Amazon. He felt a responsibility to "support this culture and retain some of their treasure in me and my family, and share it with those that wish to learn," he wrote on a fundraising page. He was particularly interested in experiencing ayahuasca, a sludgelike hallucinogenic potion used by indigenous shamans in spiritual exercises.

It's not entirely clear what happened in the years that followed, or whether the Canadian tourist found the healing for which he was searching in the Peruvian Amazon. But late last week, this Canadian tourist's name and face somehow landed on a wanted poster accusing him of murdering a beloved shaman and indigenous activist in a remote rain forest in northeastern Peru.