NAFPS Archives > Archive No. 1

Fake, Wannabe, or Would Be Tribes

<< < (3/3)

educatedindian:
dafydd7916" <dafydd7916@sbcglobal.net>  View Contact Details  
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:16:39 -0500
Subject: [newagefraudsplastichshamans] Chief Kodiak Quotes

"the bia doesn't recognize their group however, they are recognized by the united states. Lumbee NC agreed to not acknowledge other lumbees outside of NC in order to recieve bia recognition <snip> Anyone who wants to call this joker will have an interesting conversation with him."

Goodness gracious, I mightily do reckon so. Problem is, I think I’d have a hard time not reaching through the phone and strangling him for trying such an absurd statement on me. It would be nice to collect such quotes, though, and perhaps use them in the future just to show how idiotic the whole fraudulent organization is.

Thanks.

Dave

educatedindian:
Hasan ibn Abdullaah ibn Abdullaah" <hasan_al_amriki@yahoo.com>  
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 01:03:29 -0000
Subject: [newagefraudsplastichshamans] Open Letter to Vernon Tanner (Re: White Priviledge)

(From a recent issue of the REDCOPY newsletter, the premier news source of South Carolina's Indian communities)

OPEN LETTER FROM KEITH POUNDS TO VERNON TANNER, SO-CALLED "NATIVE AMERICAN" COMMISSIONER TO THE BOARD OF SOUTH CAROLINA'S COMMISSION FOR MINORITY AFFAIRS

I would remind you that just weeks ago, you mailed several persons in the state thanking them for your recent appointment as a Commissioner
to the Board of South Carolina's Commission for Minority Affairs.  Although I have attended several meetings of that state agency, and I am one of only a handful of people who showed up to discuss State Recognition of Native American Indian Tribes in both House and Senate hearings, you neglected to send me copy of this letter.
Otherwise, there is an aspect of South Carolina's State Recognition process that has become of growing concern for many people in the state, but you have neglected to show any leadership in addressing this issue.  That issue concerns the discussion of White Skin Privilege among those representing Indian people in South Carolina's
statewide Indian organizations.
I would remind you, as you are one of only two White Commissioners in Minority Affairs, that in his article, My White Problem  - And Ours, Kendall Clark reminded us that, "the denial of White privilege, like the denial of racism itself, serves the interests of those who enjoy it."  I pray that you do not deny this issue and leave us to believe that that denial comes in your best interest and not that of Native American Indian people in the state.

Currently in the state of South Carolina, Native American Indian groups have been embroiled in the debate and controversies surrounding the long awaited, formal "State Recognition" of Indian
tribes.
The most intense of these controversies has been the accusation that several groups are of questionable, if not clearly nonexistent, Indian heritage and have only recently organized simply for the purpose of seeking State Recognition as Indian people.
Common among the leaders of these newly formed groups is the promise that if you become a member of their group, you will receive college tuition, and other benefits that are certainly not included in State Recognition.

While unable to confidently rebut the Cultural Theft accusations against them, the members of these groups stand by their claims of Indian heritage and have become the most vocal participants in the
State Recognition process while simultaneously spearheading the direction of State Recognition itself.  Meanwhile, State Recognition has become law in South Carolina, not only to recognize Indian Tribes but to recognize two other now eligible entities.
These other entities include 1) Native American Groups and 2) Native American Special Interest Organizations.  The memberships of Native
American Groups may include both Indian and non-Indian persons and only have to show proof of having been in an existence for three years.  The members of Special Interest Organizations do not have to be Indian at all, having only to show an interest in Native American crafts written into their mission statements.
In her article, White privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, Peggy McIntosh wrote that, "whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege."  This idea clearly exposes the defensive nature of these newfound Cultural Thieves in South Carolina.  McIntosh, a white person herself, further defines such arrogance by admitting, "I did not see myself as a racist because I was taught to recognize racism
only in individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in invisible systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth."

My concern, Vernon Tanner, is that your silence on the issue of White Skin Privilege is a result of your not recognizing the "invisible systems" that have allowed you to be placed in the position of what
the SC Congress has called "the first Native American Commissioner" to Minority Affairs.

In his article, White people need to acknowledge benefits of unearned privilege, Robert Jensen furthers the argument.  He wrote that, "In a
white supremacist world, all white people have privileges, whether or not they are overtly racist themselves."
I question why any person or group would seek to confiscate the culture of others while proclaiming that their escapades are the result of the search of their true identities.  Is it that Whites don't view themselves as having an identity at all unless they can identify themselves as people of color?  McIntosh realizes of Whites that, "because they are not people of color; they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity."  

educatedindian:

But, in a past issue of the controversial Pee Dee Indian Nation of Beaver Creek's newsletter, Donna Ott wrote the following; I am White…  I have not yet found a census that names (my family) as Mulatto, black, or Indian…  I have been accused of being a wannabe Indian, a white woman who is leading a "nation" of wannabe Indians…I have been called a tribal dictator and a woman who is parading around as a Chief for the power and recognition of it all.  Lately, I have been called a "new ager."
Robert Jensen wrote surprisingly that, "(my fellow white people) see in me a reflection of themselves–and in a racist world, that is an advantage.  I smile.  I am white.  I am one of them.  I am not dangerous.  Even when I voice critical opinions, I am cut some slack.  After all, I'm White!"
This is exactly what Donna wrote!  "I am White!"  And she was writing it to White People!  How dare we question her opinion over those that she considers to be the undesirables.  This is what Donna Ott was telling us.
Terrence "Littlewater" Alewine remains at large after having been found liable in a court of law for misappropriating several thousand dollars from the urban Indian organization, Midlands Intertribal
Empowerment Group.  You have been silent on this issue!  In reward for her avoiding to reimburse this urban Indian organization, she was given a job by the South Carolina Indian Affairs Commission(SCIAC), a private organization whose members are predominantly of questionable Indian heritage themselves.
This new job for Terrence is funded by none other than the federal Administration for Native Americans (ANA).  Not only has her White
Skin Privilege allowed her to avoid repayment of the debt, but she was rewarded for her racist activities with a federally funded job!  
Doesn't she work alongside you in the SCIAC?  Why haven't you, as a representative of a state agency, upheld the law and reported her?

You claim to be the "Mingo" (or "Chief") of the Chaloklowa Chickasaw Indians in South Carolina and likewise a self-proclaimed Indian "Medicine Man."  You write to Indian women in the state and
grant them "Indian names" of your choosing (ignoring the fact that these Indian women are already surrounded by actual Indians in their
families who have already granted them names).
Despite the fact that there are no records of any Chaloklowa Chickasaws having ever existed, you were given a $100,000.00 grant from the federal Administration for Native Americans in 2002.  After
spending the entire $100,000.00 of federal grant money (supposedly in research), you are still unable to document a single Indian in your
genealogy, clear back to the 1700s.  Knowing all of this, could it be that it is White Skin Privilege that has afforded you the nomination and confirmation as "South Carolina's first Native American
Commissioner" to the state's Minority Affairs Commission?
Dennis Bracy, so-called "Chief" of a mythical Beaver Creek Indians group in South Carolina, once wrote that he "envies" the skin of Indian women.  Rochelle Link, also a member of the Beaver Creek
Indians, claims that her family is white today because her ancestors "bleached" their skin to remove its dark color.  Link's daughter, Marcy, claims that she is not actually white, but "yellow
toned" because as an Indian, her family came across the Bering Strait, from Asia.

For those in South Carolina who might question their identity, I provide below a sample of an edited list composed by McIntosh, of which she insists, "systematically overempower certain groups."  Ask yourself, "Do these ideas apply to me?"
- When you watch television, you see many people with your same skin color.
- While thumbing through any textbook, you easily find the historical accomplishments of people with your skin color.
- You have never been called "a credit to your race."
- You know that if you ask to speak to "the person in charge," it is most likely that you will be talking to a person of your skin color.
- After attending governmental meetings (like Minority Affairs in South Carolina) or meetings of private organizations of which you belong (like SCIAC), you have never walked away feeling "isolated, out-of-place, out numbered, unheard, held at a distance, or feared."  
You walk away confident because most of the people at the meeting looked like you.
- If you find yourself in a difficult situation, you never ask if the negative episode has something to do with your skin color.
- You can go to any convenience store and find something as simple as a "bandaid" and never have to worry that it won't match your skin color.

McIntosh concluded of this list, "If these things are true, this is not such a free country; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own."

Vernon Tanner, is your appointment as a "Native American Commissioner" based on your merits as a leader among the Indian communities in South Carolina, or something else?
My name is Keith A. Pounds

educatedindian:
Hasan Grooms" <hasan_al_amriki@yahoo.com>  
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:57:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [newagefraudsplastichshamans] : Chief Kodiak & KTVE news

They were busted a long time ago for selling memberships to their "tribe". What it seems like to me is that they have now expanded to United Lumbee franchises, that is why they have added "& America" at the end. I have yet to see a "enrollee" of the United Lumbee of NC in or from NC.

I believe their name used to be the "Lumbee Tribe of California" or the "Western Band of Lumbees in California"... something like that, but I am not certain. Like I said, it's been a long time and I believe they have been in operation under one name or another for the past 20 years or more.

More than likely, "Chief Kodiak" bought a membership, a franchise, and received as a free gift a "How To Be a Real Injun" guidebook from them. I believe if someone digs just a little deeper they will find the connection. I do believe I came across a group with this exact name "United Lumbee of NC & America Redwolf Band".

(Just pulled this up after a quick look on google. Maybe someone else here may have mentioned this too.)

September 28 - Trail of Tears Motorcycle Tour Powwow
Location: Best Western Motel, 2520 Central, Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Notes: All dancers and drumers welcome. Donations of food and clothing for local banks appreciated. Hosted by the United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and America's Redwolf Band of Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana.
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:Z8z8FmgtIf4J:www.geocities.com/spoons214/calendar.html+%22America+Redwolf+Band%22&hl=en

<I also see that the “United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and America??? has gained a spot on Senator Barbara Boxer’s website. Nice move on their part.>

You should read Keith Pounds' essay on "White Priviledge" on the SC-AIM egroup here on Yahoo. Eventhough it is mainly regarding the situation in South Carolina, it makes the point of how easy it is for people like these to be recognized and acknowledged by their peers, and grant them the added benefit of viewing Indians in a light that they have always imagined them as being and eases their conscience by having them believe they are really doing something for Indians and those Indians love them for it.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the United Lumbee, but I can pretty much guarantee you that if you were to ask them how they came to be they will probably mentioned one of the many legends of Henry Berry Lowery that he disappeared and ended up in California! Again, something else that was probably taken from a book and had such an effect on them that their inner voice told them they were really Indians and one with the earth and therefore to honor the Indians and their "ancestors" it became necessary for them to come out of the closet and "become" Indian.

Hasan

dafydd7916 <dafydd7916@sbcglobal.net> wrote: “The United Lumbee of NC didn't even start in NC it is an offshoot of another wanabi tribe from California!???

Thanks for pointing this out, Hasan.  Do you have more info on them, perhaps something we can connect directly with "Chief Kodiak's" group and the so-called "Redwolf Band".

A good example of how one must be careful and discriminate between the closeness of names. I see that the original petition by the California group for recognition was denied back in 1985. They have changed address since then, from Exeter to Fall River Mills. It also shows the shrewdness on how these various groups list each other to gain respectability.

I also see that the “United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and America??? has gained a spot on Senator Barbara Boxer’s website. Nice move on their part.

United Lumbee Nation of NC & America
P.O. Box 512
Fall River Mills, CA 96028
Tel# (916) 336-6701

070 United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and America
c/o Mrs. Eva Jones Reed (Phone Unknown)
P.O. Box 911
Exeter, CA 93221
Letter of Intent to Petition 04/28/1980
Declined to Acknowledge 07/02/1985 50 FR 18746

Paselo,

Dave

educatedindian:
Vance Hawkins" <vhawkins@pacer.com>  Add to Address Book
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:00:29 -0000
Subject: [newagefraudsplastichshamans] Re: : Chief Kodiak & KTVE news

I did an internet search for United Lumbee of NC and America. Thre
were 2 interesting links that I found -- might be more I didn't.

http://linux.library.appstate.edu/lumbee/27/JENK009.htm

Category: 27. Settlements outside Robeson County
   JENK009. Jenkins, Venita. "Separate Lumbee group exists online."
Fayetteville Observer Sunday, 20 May 2001.

Publication type: Newspaper article

Electronic access: Fayetteville Observer Web site
(www.fayettevillenc.com). Use Search.

Milton Hunt, chairperson of the Lumbee Tribal Council, has just
become aware of the United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and
America, Inc. This group, headquartered in Shasta County, north-
central California, considers itself a breakaway group from North
Carolina Lumbees. It was founded in 1976. [See The Lumbee Indians: an
annotated bibliography, pages 120-122, for more details.]
The United Lumbee Nation's Web site has linked to the LRDA Web site
in the past. Now, the United Lumbee Nation's Cougar Band,
headquartered in Texas, has a site (http://lumbeecougarband.org)
which links to the Lumbee Tribe's site.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs issued a final determination, in 1985,
that the United Lumbee Nation's petition for federal recognition did
not satisfy five of the BIA's seven criteria, thus federal
recognition was not granted (see The Lumbee Indians: an annotated
bibliography, items 965 and 966.

Additional Subjects: United Lumbee Nation of North Carolina and
America
This annotation was last edited on June 21, 2002.

Home Page URL: lumbeebibliography.net

=================

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/archive/index.php/t-10636

here there is a comment --

Chief Soft Shell Turtle ( Tom Netz is a fraud 05-18-2003 10:04
Tom Netz is a fraud he tells every one he is the chief of the Lumbee
tribes of Ohio and is he not really Native American, he is full
blooded German. What really gets to me is that he has been doing this
for many years now. If you encounter this man or know any thing new
about him or would like to know about him contact me at
bluespirit102002@msn.com . . .

=================

interesting, so this group has a Chief Kodiak and a Chief Soft Shell
Turtle -- it might be fun just to find out the names of all their
chiefs . . . :) A Texas band and an Ohio band are mentioned -- they
might have bands all over the country.

Also you might get away with "faking it" as a mixed blood if you were
full blood Italian or Turk or something -- but "full blood German"?
For some reason I can't get a picture of a guy wearing those turisty
Bavarian shorts held up with suspenders and holdin' one o those great
big beer mugs -- yet wearing a ribbon shirt and moccasins, out of my
mind . . .

God help me.

vance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version