Author Topic: Pablo Falcon - "Urine Drinking Ceremony"  (Read 13841 times)

Offline Scott Brainard

Pablo Falcon - "Urine Drinking Ceremony"
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:38:47 am »
Video interview on NatGeo news:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1121_051121_urine_video.html

Google turned up a cached listing from www.insight-books.com for a book associated with Pablo Falcon:

Urine-Therapy: It May Save Your Life!
by Beatrice Bartnett
Publisher: Dr. Pablo Falcon
ISBN: 0962218251
Item Type: Booklet (b)
Retail Price: $ 9.95

Is this guy for real?  

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Pablo Falcon - "Urine Drinking Ceremony&q
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:45:28 pm »
Urine therapy is done by some cultures like East Indian. I recall reading awhile back that Gandhi practiced it. Couldn't find much on Falcon except an angry creationist site.

http://www.globelens.com/
"A video clip I can't really recommend over at National Geographic shows two women drinking their own (I apologize) urine.  They were advised to do so by American Indian Pablo Falcon, who claims "urine therapy" keeps him healthy and will keep you healthy too.  His two female victims participated with him in some American Indian rituals before taking their first dose on camera.  The second, Sue, felt strong emotions and said she felt "bad or evil" about what she had just done.
This is a new low for National Geographic, which is always so quick to jump on board with the sometimes bizarre practices of non-Christian cultures and religions.  There is no mention of any medical evidence for or against the drinking of urine--only an uncritical look at the practice, as if anything connected with a non-Christian culture were by definition legitimate.
Incidentally, many Chinese people have been drinking their urine for hundreds of years, claiming health benefits both when ingested or massaged.  Asia is an origin for the practice because of several ancient Hindu texts that promote it (see Shivambu Kalpa Vidhi, in Damar Tantra), chiefly based on the philosophical assumption that god exists in everything:  "[D]ifferent deities are living in that water from which urine is made, then why is urine said to be contaminated?" (From Gyanarnava Tantra, Chapter 22)
From a medical standpoint, urine isn't necessarily toxic unless an bacterial infection is present within it, but any benefits from ingesting it or using it on your skin are dubious.  Urine is mostly water plus excess vitamins, minerals, and salts that your body had no use for.  If your body had already  expelled excess vitamin C, for example, what good will it do to re-ingest what you've just expelled?  And why not eat an orange?  The claims of health benefits come almost entirely from non-doctors who use it along with other "natural" health therapies, and who have no statistics to back up their claims.  In other words, if you're going to drink your urine, why not stew some toads and cure those warts while you're at it?  Given the highly superstitious and spiritual beliefs that seem to go along with urine therapy, it's no surprise that it found its way into Yoga Journal and the ranks of hypnotists.
Nearly every advocate of urine therapy will smugly use the Bible to back up their behavior:  Proverbs 5:15 reads, "Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well."  Any student of the Bible should at this point break into laughter, knowing that this verse has been completely ripped from its context.  Not only does this verse not advocate drinking urine (in contrast to the above Hindu texts), it is referring to something entirely different.  In context "water" is a euphemism for sexual pleasure, while "well" and "cistern" refer to your wife.  There is no connection to urine, not even remotely.  Nowhere does the Bible promote this practice."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 03:42:10 pm »
His partner, Beatrice Bartnett, also wrote this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962218278/102-2319735-9032168?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
Reviewer: A reader
"This book/maze is for those of us who want a compact daily version with lots of really good meat and potato information/uses. Most people can find 27 feet to creat this one!! Three sections, seven circles, 13 180 degree turns and 4 pages of how chakras/life stages/colors/sounds/chrystals and more relate."

Anyone knowwhat these stand for at the end of her name?
Dr. Beatrice Bartnett, DC, ND, LIVIT

One site says she's Swiss.

Offline Jamie Hume

Re: Pablo Falcon - "Urine Drinking Ceremony"
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:44:26 pm »
I have heard of uren drinking used by an Asian healer. Curious isn't it?

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:09:32 pm »
Anyone knowwhat these stand for at the end of her name?
Dr. Beatrice Bartnett, DC, ND, LIVIT

I'm pretty sure DC is Chiropractor and ND is Naturopath.  Dunno from LIVIT.

Offline AnnOminous

Re: Pablo Falcon - "Urine Drinking Ceremony"
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »
An old thread, but just watched a NatGeo episode on this guy last night.

It's irrelevant to me that he promotes "urine therapy."  I don't understand it, and I certainly don't have to choose it for personal use.

What bothers me is his claims to being Native American (but of course does not specify a particular Nation), his use of artifacts to super-impose spiritual credibility on his claims (ie eagle feathers [although they looked painted to me], staff, shield, etc), and that fact that he seems to cater to rich, white, wounded women (note the expensive houses and vehicles) who may be at the very end of their rope.

This guy totally made me sick to my stomach.  Playing the "native american" card is about as low as one can go.