Author Topic: Santee of South Carolina??  (Read 42903 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Santee of South Carolina??
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:30:37 pm »
The Santee of North Carolina

http://www.sciway.net/hist/indians/santee.html
Name, Language
Alternate spellings: Zantee, Seretee, Seratee, Sattee – also the name of a Dakota Sioux tribe that lives on a reservation in Nebraska
Possible meanings: "People of the river," from iswan'ti, which means "the river" or "the river is there"
Language family: Siouan
Current Status
Active - Santee Indian Organization as a state recognized tribe and seeking federal recognition.
Contact Information
Santee Indian Organization - state recognized tribe
Chief Roosevelt Scott
224 Bayview Street
Holly Hill, SC 29059
Phone: 803-496-7169
Santee Indian Nation of South Carolina
Chief William Koon
208 Foster Mill Circle
Pauline, SC 29374
Phone: 864-541-8759
SC Location, Territory
Traditional: Along the middle section of the Santee River in Calhoun, Clarendon, and Orangeburg counties
Today: Communities of Columbia, Elloree, Holly Hill, Pauline, Santee ... Berkeley, Lexington, Orangeburg, and Richland counties
Related SC Names
Town of Santee in Orangeburg County
Santee River in Berkeley, Georgetown, and Williamsburg counties
Population Estimates
1600: 3000+
2000: 6000
History
The Santee first encountered Europeans in the 1660s when a Spanish explorer sailed up the Santee River.
Fought with the British against the North Carolina Tuscarora in the Tuscarora Wars during 1711.
From 1715 to 1716, they fought with other tribes against the British in the Yemassee War and were defeated.
Attacked by coastal tribes in 1716, possibly the Cusabo, who attempted to remove them on behalf of the colonists. Many Santee were captured and sent to the West Indies as slaves. Remaining Santee fled to Hickerau, the spiritual place of the Santee, located around present-day Elloree.
Many Santee moved to Oklahoma in 1853 as part of the Catawba. Some remained in South Carolina.
Santee mounds are located in Orangeburg. Excavation led to repatriation of ancestral remains.
Dwellings
Spanish accounts from the 1660s stated they lived in bark and mud-covered huts on the banks of the Santee River.
Food
Farming: Corn, beans, squash, greens, peaches, melons, tobacco, and pumpkins. Gathered wild nuts and berries
Fishing: Variety of fish from the Santee River
Hunting: Deer, raccoons, geese, and turkeys
Clothing
Men: Loincloth and moccasins
Women: Skirts and moccasins. Ceremonial dresses were decorated with wood, clay, and seed-type beads, as well as turkey feathers. The women of high social standing wore dresses decorated with hawk feathers.
Special clothing was decorated mainly with turkey and hawk feathers, but feathers from other birds were also used and everyday clothing was not decorated. All clothing was made from deerskins. Both men and women were bare from the waist up.
Beliefs and Practices
The Santee had elaborate burial rituals. They buried chiefs, shaman, and warriors on earthen mounds. A structure made of wooden poles was placed on top of the mound to protect the body. Relatives hung offerings such as rattles and feathers on the poles. The height of the burial mound indicated the importance of the deceased. Common people were buried by wrapping their bodies in bark and setting them upon platforms. The closest relative of the deceased would paint their face black and keep a vigil at the grave for several days. After a time, corpses were removed from the burial site and their bones and skull were cleaned. Families placed the bones of loved ones in a box and cleaned and oiled them each year.
At places where a warrior was killed, the Santee would make a marker of stones or sticks. Each time the site was passed by a Santee, they were expected to add a stone or stick in remembrance of the fallen.
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Santee of South Carolina??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Santee_Nation/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=1349
Chief William Koon Welcomes you to the Santee Nation Of South Carolina!! We are very Happy to have you here to find out about our history and origions. We have a long history and wonderful storys to share. This will also be our site to inform you of when and where our meetings will take place and what happens during our meetings. We welcome all who are interested to join and be a part of our wonderful future.
In Spirit

Offline that_dakota_kid

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:39:57 pm »
I am dumbfounded by this but curious as to know whether it is just an organization of enrolled santees that NC backs or an actual tribe. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about this. Something is just not right. I could be wrong but this is weird. Imma have to ask my fam about this.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:56 am »
There's an interesting discussion here.
http://www.powwows.com/gathering/native-issues/32828-cherokee-blackfoot-4.html

The short version is that some think the Catawba and Siouan languages are related. By blood is a more difficult question. Santee in the Carolinas say they are. The fact is that we have two D/L/Nakota members who find this all suspicious....I probably don't even have to ask, but I'm guessing the D/L/N tribes don't even know about those claiming to be their relatives, much less support their petition to be recognized?

Message from Koon.
--------------------
http://www.greatdreams.com/mounds.htm
EDISTO BEACH STATE PARK SOUTH CAROLINA
Hau Koda (Hello in Dakota)   I am Chief William Koon of the Santee Indian Nation of South Carolina.   In the listing of Mounds the Santee
Indian Mound at the Santee Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina is not mentioned.  The Santee Indian Mound has been carbon dated to be at least 20,000 years old.   During an archeological dig done at the site in 1972 and 1973 there were 27 Santee remains dug up.   We have been able to have the remains returned to us and they have been reburied.   Could you please include the Santee Indian Mound on your site that has the mounds listed.   Pidamayaya do (Thank you in Dakota)                Chief William Koon

--------------------------

Other sites mentioning reburials and Koon.
http://archaeoblog.blogspot.com/2004/11/welcome-back-from-long-for-all-you-us.html
http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/oct/22/givhans_man_collects_history_from_lakebe19792/
http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=2621028&ClientType=Printable
http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-AmIndian&month=0309&week=d&msg=uGeK%2BxaZLHnnQf/4fj5b0g&user=&pw=

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:12:54 pm »
No
we are not relative
no we have not had people in the east
(post before i finished)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:15:34 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline that_dakota_kid

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:25:13 pm »
"No we are not relative no we have not had people" earthw7
X2

I would like to know these "cousins" in this " Tribe"
Its like the "long lost band" or clan. LOL
Guess they figured they would give the Tsagali and Lakota a rest for a while. Original I gotta say. Two thumbs down. My mom said the same thing hearing about various scholors theorizing of L\N\Dakota Occupancy in the SE but to her and everyone else is just that, an outlandish THEORY.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
Each day it get more crazy what do these people think they can make up tribes
In Spirit

Offline that_dakota_kid

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:44 pm »
Whats insane is that supposedly the state buys into this crap, either that or they' re getting some incentive from these wannabes. I gotta know on what grounds these wackos are making thier case for state. There is no way that they can base this off some mounds or remains without documentation, DNA, etc. All I see is what it has always been, "SPECULATION". There has to be more going on internally between this group and the state. Anyone's take on this????

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:20:29 pm »
I don’t know who these people are or how they trace their linage back, but the Santee as a community have been around since before the IRA. and There are letters at SUNY from the Tuscarora to the British discussing a wampum belt that was exchanged to create a treaty alliance to drive the Santee out of the area that is now North to South Caroline in 1711.  Also there were records of Santee being adopted into the Catawba when they were moved to Oklahoma.  Finally, a old friend who is a former tribal council man from Sisseton Wahpeton told me that there were Dakotas “down south” but I don’t know if this is who he meant.  All I can say is ??? Just don't know

Offline bullhead

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:19:52 pm »
Here is a good link which might help some of you to see how the siouan are related By language,lot of good information on this site if you scroll way down the page you find a language tree.

http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz/faq/language.htm#siouan

Offline that_dakota_kid

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:15:59 pm »
Wow, that tree link is pretty interesting. I know I have Annishnaabe and Ioway ties via Robideauxs but that would be even more interesting to see Catawba in there way off in the distance.

Offline bullhead

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
I think the dakota kid is on the money with his # 7 reply
here is a link that might provide some of you with some interesting information.
I would suggest you click on the "about us" tab and read that page.

www.southcarolinaindianaffairs.com

Offline bullhead

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 01:48:04 am »
this link will take you to the south carolina criteria for state recognition.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/coderegs/c139.htm

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 07:36:19 am »
Ok I read all the so called evidence and there is still no evdience
I would like dates and winter counts.
Our winter counts are 2 thousand years old and it would say that
we traveled across the United States or we had relatives out east.
i heard there was a church called blackfeet out east but
no mention of it being a naton. This is the only claim for these peole
to claim Blackfeet Lakota.

The Isanti have four bands Dakota our mother nation
but we believe we broke off from the Dakota around 1500s
to separate into the Lakota.
and the language post only talked about Sisseton
Then they put the stoney and Assinbione as two different
people yet they are the same
at one time they were Ihunktonwan that intermarried with the Cree and their
language combined but that is around 1700.

Since the Isanti is suppose to be in South Carolina I wonder what band it is suppose to be?
Out east it seems to be many who dream or make up who they are

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:00:45 am by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:40 am »
question why would they be called Isanti and not by their band name
why not by there tiospaye name.
Why would they go to Olklahome if they belong to us? Why not return to their
people if they are a part of us.

I believe they are some band or clan of an eastern tribe that had a name sounding
close to ours.

I guess i would need proof. Show me
In Spirit