Author Topic: Shawn Stevens & Seven Grandfathers Yoga  (Read 4211 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Shawn Stevens & Seven Grandfathers Yoga
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:21:25 am »
I received a series of messages from a member of the Mohican-Stockbridge in Wisconsin. Stevens apparently is an enrolled member and some believe he is violating a tribal code that prohibits exploiting Native spiritual traditions for personal gain. Their punishment is banishment from the tribe.

There's also a very long and complicated bad personal history between Stevens and a number of other Mohican-Stockbridge, with him accused of threatening and being disrespectful to elders and tribal leaders. I'm still trying to sort everything out that's been sent to me.

Stevens, mostly known as part of drum group Nanapowe, is referred to as a Mohican shaman and the soulful shaman in the ads, mixing what he calls Seven Grandfathers teaching with yoga. He works with a white yoga teacher named Jennifer Reis. Both Reis's site and kripalu.org had featured him until the objections from the tribe.

--------------
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:Mr0jx4tG0S8J:test.kripalu.org/guest_information/578+%22shawn+stevens%22+mohican&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=id
An Evening with Shawn Stevens and Friends
Saturday, May 2, 2009
7:30 pm
Shawn Stevens is a soulful Mohican shaman who leads ceremonies and lives his life as spiritual medicine. Through flute, drum, dancing, and singing in the Native American tradition, he will share prayer and ceremony, accompanied by his friends.

Admission: $10 for general public; free for in-house guests and participants in The Teachings of the Seven Grandfathers and Seven Directions Yoga.

------------------------

http://www.kripalu.org/search/?query=mohican&search=1&x=8&y=8

....3. Kripalu - The Teachings of the Seven Grandfathers and Seven Directions Yoga -

tool. The last Mohican village in western Massachusetts was located not far from where Kripalu now stands. It is significant that Shawn has returned to his ancestral homeland to share the ancient Mohican teachings, helping to bring
http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/SDY91/the_teachings_of_the_seven_grandfathers_and_seven - 20.1kb

4. Kripalu - The Teachings of the Seven Grandfathers and Seven Directions Yoga -

tool. The last Mohican village in western Massachusetts was located not far from where Kripalu now stands. It is significant that Shawn has returned to his ancestral homeland to share the ancient Mohican teachings, helping to bring

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Shawn Stevens & Seven Grandfathers Yoga, AID REQUESTED
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:29 am »
There's a request from a member of the Stockbridge-Munsee, Monique Tyndall, for help from NAFPS members, asking for advice.

------------------

Anushiik (Thank You) for the work that you are accomplishing in protecting our spirit (spirituality), culture, knowledge and way of life. 

I was filled in that you wanted to gain some insight on the conflict that Munsee language teachers and learners had last year with Stevens.

First, I need some assistance.  I have been trying to get our tribal newspaper to print some of the articles about protecting not only our own culture/spirit but also protecting the ways of other indigenous people from being sold and exploited by members of our own tribe. 

The editor needs to know how this is relevant to the people/readers of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community.  I can't think of the right words to say in order to explain what Stevens has done goes against majority (possibly all) indigenous codes of conduct in reference to culture and spirit. 

I know that the majority of my community can understand Luther going against the Catholic Church for accepting payments to "provide salvation."  But I don't know how to communicate to them so that they understand that the selling of spirit, culture by a community member who is recognized by the majority community as "not a medicine man."  However, majority of the community also does not practice our own or any other form of indigenous spirituality.

But I do know that there is a significant number of people that do hold reverence and respect for this way and for the small number of people in the community that live it in the way that it was meant to be (by being drug/alcohol free, having respect and gratitude for all things(including yourself), remaining humble, helping others/giving back and allowing yourself to receive help, recognizing and accepting your faults (human weakness), and being able to ask for forgiveness....etc.). 

Would it be possible for some of you at NAFPS to be able to take the information you have been given along with some of the testimonies of tribal members that had ran into conflict with this person selling Medicine Lodge teachings and draft a report with an evaluation and recommendations made by your team and those that you go to for guidance for these kind of things.

At the moment I am working with people that are a part of the Grand Medicine Society up here in Wisconsin to help guide me in the proper way to handle this within the community.

I think that for now, what some of us can do here is submit the information to groups and individuals such as NAFPS and ask for feedback and recommendations.

I will be sending in what I had experienced last year with Stevens soon.

As for the tribal council, all we know of right now is that they are aware of the situation.  There is no word if there will be any plan for action.  Usually no action is taken, but I think that is because they are not sure what to do.  So we are looking for a way to help them out-so that they can better serve our community that is working hard to keep what is left of our spirit and culture alive and nurture it so that it may flourish once again.

Laapii uch kaneewal
(Later)

Monique