Author Topic: The Gullible Person  (Read 3450 times)

Offline bonestyx

The Gullible Person
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:42:37 pm »
I was more than a little mortified when I came across the following post to the local Craig's List here in the Flag/Sedona area:

Hi

I will be in Sedona, AZ on December 13 for the night. I am looking for a psychic reader, or healer, essentially someone who can help toward relaxation and healing work. There are so many there, I am not sure who to go to. I am looking for suggestions of who to see, what to do etc. I am stressed and have acid reflux. I also want to take a bunch of pictures while there. I already have a place to stay. Any ideas? thanks Paula

Seriously, this person is practically begging to be taken advantage of. With the understanding that she is probably a well-meaning but uninformed person, I felt compelled to send her the following message:

Hello, Paula:

It's clear that you are having earnest difficulties in your life. Because of this, I think you need to be especially careful about dealing with anyone who claims to be a "psychic" or "healer" - especially in Sedona. There are an unfortunate lot of such practitioners - in Sedona in particular - who exploit the pain, suffering and confusion of others for personal gain. Unfortunately, many of these people are moderately successful at ploying their act, and as there is much suffering in the world (and a great willingness among many to pay for anything they believe might alleviate their suffering), there is plenty of room for more than one of these kinds of performers in town.

I would be especially wary of anyone who claims to be practicing anything to do with "Native American spirituality". A good place to check in on who is questionable among such practitioners is http://www.newagefraud.com/.

Avoid anyone who calls themself a shaman or claims to be "initiated" among a laundry list of the world's indigenous cultures. Indigenous cultures do not go around handing out initiations into their sacred mysteries and lifeways to any casual tourist who wanders into their village.

Anyone who claims to be any kind of "master" or spiritual leader is full of crap. There are none of these around here that are for real.

I apologize for sounding so negative about the whole thing. It's not that I don't believe there are true seers and healers in the world or that there is nobody who can help you. In fact, I'm certain to the contrary that such persons exist in earnest. I've just spent enough time around people in general - especially those who make the kinds of claims I am talking about - to know that the real seers and healers don't advertise on the Internet or in the Yellow Pages, and they certainly don't set up shop in a place like Sedona that makes its bread primarily from making a mockery and a sacrilege of all that is subtle and sacred in the world.

I think it would be a terrible shame for you to open yourself to being exploited without first doing some homework. The harm that fake psychics and healers can cause is very real. I speak from personal experience - though not with people in Sedona in particular. Please be careful!

As for what to do - and where to take some great snaps - I recommend Red Rock Crossing and Cathedral Rock. Oak Creek Canyon is really beautiful, so definitely check that out. Make sure to avoid most of these "Visitor Information" booths that have sprung up like mushrooms all over town (stick with the Chamber of Commerce in Uptown Sedona for real visitor information). Most of them are advertising and marketing fronts for the numerous time share "communities" we have here in town.

All said and done, it's a beautiful place here in Sedona, but keep your wits sharp while visiting.

Then, after it was too late, I realized that I used the wrong extension on the domain for the forum. Ugh. Nonetheless, it just seemed that someone needed to say something to warn her.