Author Topic: The Word "Aho"  (Read 132112 times)

Offline milehighsalute

Re: The Word "Aho"
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 06:40:12 pm »
The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

Too funny we dont have an "amen".......................... thats a christian thing,
It is not our words ask any Lakota ;D ;D
besides didnt we already establish aho is NOT a lakota word?

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:02 pm »
The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

Too funny we dont have an "amen".......................... thats a christian thing,
It is not our words ask any Lakota ;D ;D
besides didnt we already establish aho is NOT a lakota word?

We sure did ;)

Offline el bufalo blanco

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »
Cloud, I am sure that el Coyote Cruz a Jicarilla Apache medicine man who adopted me into his tribe was not lying to me about the meaning of this word, Aho! means "It is good" or "It is true". Just because a German or Japanese word sounds like it doesn't mean it's not and American Indian word. I lived on the reservation for many years and no one I heard was using the word as an insult. A greeting yes just as the word Hoka-hey has a dual meaning, "It is a good day to live" when spoken to a friend but when used as a battle cry it means "It is a good day to die!" Many words used by Native American Indians don't even exist in the english language and a big thing to remember is that Indians didn't use many words like all the rest of the world. My medicine man told me that words are sacred so don't use them frivolously, just say what you mean and be done. Also the movie Indians saying "How." as a greeting, not true they were saying "Aho." and as usual the whites did not understand. I hope you get to see this and it helps you Blessings.

Epiphany

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 11:01:11 pm »
el bufalo blanco, could you introduce yourself in the Member Introductions section, thanks.

You can tell us there about this "El Coyote Cruz".  Is this quote from you?

I was adopted by an Apache medicine man named El Coyote Cruz, the holy coyote. He taught me that survival is not a technique but a inborn will that we all have.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:49 pm »
el Coyote Cruz a Jicarilla Apache medicine man who adopted me into his tribe

On adoption ceremonies: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1294.0 

I think you mean this person made you a relative, not that you were adopted unanimously by every member of the tribe?  It would be quite something for an entire tribe to agree to adopt someone.  We'd like to hear about that. :)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »
Cloud, I am sure that el Coyote Cruz a Jicarilla Apache medicine man who adopted me into his tribe was not lying to me about the meaning of this word, Aho! means "It is good" or "It is true". Just because a German or Japanese word sounds like it doesn't mean it's not and American Indian word. I lived on the reservation for many years and no one I heard was using the word as an insult. A greeting yes just as the word Hoka-hey has a dual meaning, "It is a good day to live" when spoken to a friend but when used as a battle cry it means "It is a good day to die!" Many words used by Native American Indians don't even exist in the english language and a big thing to remember is that Indians didn't use many words like all the rest of the world. My medicine man told me that words are sacred so don't use them frivolously, just say what you mean and be done. Also the movie Indians saying "How." as a greeting, not true they were saying "Aho." and as usual the whites did not understand. I hope you get to see this and it helps you Blessings.
[/quote

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:45:29 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 06:45:36 pm »
lol, start off my day laughing do people really believe this stuff! What is a Apache doing speaking Lakota? Then what is he doing Speaking Kiowa why don't he use his own language.
these people use pow-wow slang and add it to different tribes it is just too funny, we know our own language.
Aho is Kiowa greeting that was passed around by the pow-wow people then adopted by new age people, Hoke Hey does not mean it is good day to die lol,
it say "hurry up" duh! Anpetu Waste Good day
We don't say aho we say Hau! as a greeting.
These so called adopted people are always trying to be the experts on who we are
In Spirit

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:49 am »
you should have read whole post bufalo.......i know the powwow heavyweights real well, the cozads, the zotighs, the clevelands and the emhoolahs........big families in denver....and they drum all over the powwow world and travel everywhere.....for years, some of those drums are 80years old....they are all KIOWA......they along with other kiowa drumming heavyweights are the ones who brought the word AHO to the powwow world..many indians say aho!....i am one of them....but when dances with wolves fans started showing up to powwow they brought that word to their so called spiritual new agey events...............now none of them even know why they say it.....el bufalo blanco......why do i get the feeling you aint an injun?

Offline Oglala Lakota82

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:04 pm »
I never heard my parents say aho. Now let me say this Aho is like Wado or Megwetch are international words anybody can say. In Lakota we say HAU yes it is true we say HAU. Aho is not Lakota it seems almost everybody who claims Native blood use Wado, Aho or Megwetch.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 12:41:47 am »
I received more background on the info from a couple of new friends who say "Aho" is an Apache word. It was taught to them by their Apache teacher, Maria Yraceburu. I pointed them in the direction of NAFPS. Evidently they've been told that the fraud thing is all because the Apache nation isn't thrilled that Maria is teaching people who aren't Apache and that Maria says it needs to be passed down and taught to others if it's to survive.

I feel sick.

Interesting. Google actually lists a phone number for her. Yraceburu EarthWisdom - Escondido California - 760.445.6266 http://www.yraceburu.org/Maria.html  Part of this website lists her as being Chiricahua Apache now. Or was she always claiming that in addition to the Quero Apache?

I googled the phone number. This woman has her fists in everything!

That woman has a thread in the forum:
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1924.0
[Mary Jo Gardner AKA Maria Naylin AKA Maria Yraceburu, Lynda Tari AKA Lynda Yraceburu]

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2021, 05:22:51 pm »
they are probably the same people who donated here

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-shimas-smile