General > Research Needed

Siobhan Marks Our Grandmothers Strap Dress

<< < (9/9)

educatedindian:

--- Quote from: Waubizee on March 10, 2023, 07:12:40 pm ---I'm curious how Siobhan sharing her research that she did on the strap dress has anything to do with the issue of whether/what % of ancestry she has. I am not aware of her 'manufacturing' or selling strap dresses (in contravention of the IACA1990 Act) but maybe she is, go ahead, report her to those authorities. What I DO know is that almost all of the research she did on strap dresses was with museums that have strap dresses in their holdings, and that information (from museums) was most likely research by white historians and archivists. Her workshops are no different than one of those individuals sharing their research with the general public or with Native American groups who want to hear it. I attended one of her strap dress workshops, because I know her and also because I am aware that the Cree women from northern Canada (some who are my own Cree ancestors) historically wore strap dresses and distinctive hoods. Siobhan conducts a good workshop, and is very respectful of the knowledge she has gathered. On another note, If Siobhan is in any position to hire or fire people, confront the agency that employs her or on which she holds a committee/board seat,,, etc. The blood quantum question is a minefield, the administrators of this site have not, as far as I know determined a cut-off % /timeline to determine who is in or who is out.

--- End quote ---

We don't determine that, or even say we should have any say in that. Each tribal nation or community has its own standards.

Obviously they are going to be different, sometimes different within that nation in different time periods. This thread has stayed under Research because there are very different opinions within the same community.

We, NAFPS, don't research anyone just for BQ, ancestry, or claims of it. It must be shown they benefit, money, power.

WINative:
I wanted to put one thing in perspective after not thinking about this threat for a few months. 1/32 blood quantum is equivalent to 3%. I think those familiar with DNA Ancestry will understand that is not much in a person's full DNA composition. Many Indigenous people have similar small percentages of European blood, English, Irish, German, Polish, French, Greek or Jewish, etc. But they cannot appear in any of those communities and expect a warm reception and to be invited or accepted to be a leader or cultural expert based on these newfound low percentages of DNA.
What is it about White Privilege that allows them to think they can do that in Indigenous communities and that they often get away with it?
I think this is definitely a systemic issue and associated with historical trauma that allows urban Native American communities to be overran such as they are in the United States. Just seeing all the Fraud and Research Needed threads shows there's a major problem. There has to be solutions other than asking everyone new to a community for their tribal ID or DNA report.

Diana:
I don't see anything wrong with asking someone for their Tribal ID. Or asking what Tribe they're from or who their family is. If they're for real, they won't mind at all. It's only the fakes that evade the question or get aggressive when you inquire further.

--- Quote from: WINative on August 27, 2023, 06:35:34 pm ---I wanted to put one thing in perspective after not thinking about this threat for a few months. 1/32 blood quantum is equivalent to 3%. I think those familiar with DNA Ancestry will understand that is not much in a person's full DNA composition. Many Indigenous people have similar small percentages of European blood, English, Irish, German, Polish, French, Greek or Jewish, etc. But they cannot appear in any of those communities and expect a warm reception and to be invited or accepted to be a leader or cultural expert based on these newfound low percentages of DNA.
What is it about White Privilege that allows them to think they can do that in Indigenous communities and that they often get away with it?
I think this is definitely a systemic issue and associated with historical trauma that allows urban Native American communities to be overran such as they are in the United States. Just seeing all the Fraud and Research Needed threads shows there's a major problem. There has to be solutions other than asking everyone new to a community for their tribal ID or DNA report.

--- End quote ---

WINative:
Indian Community School 2022 990 Form
Already controversial for past 20 years because of the amount of money the board members are making and has risen each year since 1999.
Miss Marks has benefitted financially with her relationship with fellow Three Fires Midwiwin member and Board Member Diane Amour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version