Author Topic: Hello and a request for advice  (Read 22017 times)

Offline Sturmboe

Re: Hello and a request for advice
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:07:37 am »
you are very young,
 you seems to me raring and a bit pathetic, you believe in your matter, you are worry about the fraudulant pratices - and this is good. This is good for yourselve because you are clear about by your experiences. But how do you declare this? As your own point of view? Or is there more force behind and you didn´t recognize it?

In this case I got the feeling you can force other to accept your point of you, ... than they support you, or they are ageinst you, and than they will fight your way you wish to go. Whatever your experiences you had, ...
If you agree with that and you decided to walk this way, ... ok. But on the other side you apologize so much, want to be kind, .... it doesn´t fit together at all.

Keep in mind, the way you present your wishes will let people endorse you or they are fighting against you. If you stand behind this, it is ok. Can you bear this?

This "fighting against ..." I think it will come, must not be a bad result. If someone feels anger about your way you want to encourage, there could be a chance, other people think about why they feel so, they come deeper to their issues and wishes, ... whatever the results will be at least. This could be a way they decided to go more consciously on their own. But this needs time ....

Well, on my own I stand for my opinion (sometimes)  in a hard way. I stand behind this, by my experiences I come to this ... .

Offline Sialcog

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:43:33 pm »
you are very young,
 you seems to me raring and a bit pathetic, you believe in your matter, you are worry about the fraudulant pratices - and this is good. This is good for yourselve because you are clear about by your experiences. But how do you declare this? As your own point of view? Or is there more force behind and you didn´t recognize it?

In this case I got the feeling you can force other to accept your point of you, ... than they support you, or they are ageinst you, and than they will fight your way you wish to go. Whatever your experiences you had, ...
If you agree with that and you decided to walk this way, ... ok. But on the other side you apologize so much, want to be kind, .... it doesn´t fit together at all.

Keep in mind, the way you present your wishes will let people endorse you or they are fighting against you. If you stand behind this, it is ok. Can you bear this?

This "fighting against ..." I think it will come, must not be a bad result. If someone feels anger about your way you want to encourage, there could be a chance, other people think about why they feel so, they come deeper to their issues and wishes, ... whatever the results will be at least. This could be a way they decided to go more consciously on their own. But this needs time ....

Well, on my own I stand for my opinion (sometimes)  in a hard way. I stand behind this, by my experiences I come to this ... .

Hi Sturmboe - thanks for the reply, and the advice about how to proceed.

I agree there's a delicate balance to be struck between me stating my experiences with conviction, and my tendency to be respectful and polite. Nevertheless, I think there is a way to combine both - you can point out problems and open up dialogue over difficult issues without being confrontational. Even if people are upset by what I have uncovered; as you say, there is hope that they will be able to reflect upon those feelings and grow from the experience.

I'm a little surprised that you say I'm "raring and a bit pathetic". I don't understand what you mean - could you explain?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:49:58 pm by Sialcog »

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »
I'm a little surprised that you say I'm "raring and a bit pathetic". I don't understand what you mean - could you explain?

Most probably Sturmboe will not be in a position to explain because s/he fails to accept that hir command of English does not quite allow to express hirself appropriately.

Generally speaking, "pathetic" has a completely different meaning in German, it translates to 'solemn' or 'elevated' which I suspect is what s/he meant to say'
The term 'raring' seems to have been a bad choice when looking up the German equivalent in a dictionary. I suppose what s/he meant is 'enthusiastic'.

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 05:23:31 pm »
Well I am not very good educated in english. I use google translator and leo.org for translating, sometimes linguee english - german.
I look for the correct translation and I know that the words in english got their different meanings. Are internet translator different from dictionary - books or the meaning of a word depends by the their context? English is difficult if you try to explain more than your wish to buy some bread and water ..... puh

"Pathethisch" got a lot of meanings in german,  dramatisch (dramatically) or ergriffen (touched) is near as I mean. Bur when I look at the meanings of "ergriffen" for its english translation - there are a lot and they got different meanings.

"enthusiastic" is a correct choice.

Offline Sialcog

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:26 pm »
Well I am not very good educated in english. I use google translator and leo.org for translating, sometimes linguee english - german.
I look for the correct translation and I know that the words in english got their different meanings. Are internet translator different from dictionary - books or the meaning of a word depends by the their context? English is difficult if you try to explain more than your wish to buy some bread and water ..... puh

"Pathethisch" got a lot of meanings in german,  dramatisch (dramatically) or ergriffen (touched) is near as I mean. Bur when I look at the meanings of "ergriffen" for its english translation - there are a lot and they got different meanings.

"enthusiastic" is a correct choice.

Ohh!

"Pathetic" bedeutet "armselig" auf Englisch. "Passionate" ist das richtige Wort. Wie seltsam :-)

Englisch ist sehr schwierig, genau!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 10:11:23 pm »
Google translate is not reliable for conversations of any depth or subtlety. It cannot handle idioms or slang. I only use it to get a general gist of things if it's a language I don't know at all.  For languages I know, I find all kinds of mistakes.

People who have trusted it to translate what they think are simple phrases have made the mistake of emblazoning those translations on signs and peace poles, resulting in some people praying in gibberish.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
kind of like when they use my language ;)
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 04:53:22 pm »
Ha! Yes, L! :D

Offline Sparks

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:12 am »
My name is Jonathan, I'm 26 years old, I'm white British, and a member of the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids.

I was wondering what is OBOD (referred to 16 times in this thread), and found the clue in the very first post. I wanted to learn more, and found this:

https://www.druidry.org/
https://www.facebook.com/druidry/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Bards,_Ovates_and_Druids

From their Facebook page: "Druidry is a vital and dynamic nature spirituality that is flourishing all over the world." — I didn't know they have global aspirations.

A Nature Spirituality for Now
ORDER OF BARDS OVATES AND DRUIDS (OBOD)·WEDNESDAY, 19 SEPTEMBER 2018

Druidry is a vital and dynamic nature spirituality that is flourishing all over the world. It unites our love of the earth with our love of creativity and the arts.

Flowing through all the exciting new developments in modern druidism is the power of an ancient tradition: The love of land, sea and sky - The love of the Earth our home.

For courses, videos, podcasts, news about meet-ups and events see: www.druidry.org