Author Topic: Jerry White AKA Standing Bear  (Read 25178 times)

Offline snake

Jerry White AKA Standing Bear
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:32 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of a guy named Jerry White Aka Standing Bear?  He is a white man who claims to be a shaman chosen by the Cherokee at the age of 8 to be taught their medicine. He also makes a number of other claims about himself which have not been proven. His following appears to be only women who believe he is capable of magic, psychic surgery, and power to work his will on people. if anyone knows anything about him and whether he is on the level or a predator of vulnerable women I look forward to your response.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:34:44 pm by educatedindian »

Offline snake

Jerry White AKA standing bear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »
Has anyone heard of this guy?  He is a white man who claims to have been chosen at 8 years old by the Cherokee to learn their medicine and their way.  He claims to a shaman and healer amongst other things.  His following appears to be only women who believe he is magical and believe all he says.  I am trying to find out if he is on the level or just a predator who preys on vulnerable women.

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Jerry White AKA standing bear
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
Hi snake and welcome.

You posted this in the board 'member introductions'; the board 'research needed' would be more appropriate, I suppose. In some cases, it may take a while before you receive a reply to your inquiry, depending on whether the person you ask about is known to one of our members and of course on how often they are online.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Any one know about this guy
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »
"Standing Bear (Jerry White) is an experienced healer in both Native American and White traditions. He was chosen for training in the ways of "Spirit Medicine" at the age of 8, and has studied and taught in many cultures. He is also a Certified Healing Touch practitioner and instructor. He has appeared on television and in newspaper interviews and is featured in a newly released Healing Touch book, White Shadow."

http://www.spiritualdirections.com/associates_and_services.html

"The person guiding the event , Jerry White (aka "Standing Bear") was born in the Western Cherokee tradition, as well as being raised in the Christian faith."

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-discussion/32864-meaning-your-screen-name-2.html

Huh, evidently he is a chief as well.  CNO should know this, they are going to need to do another recount -

"Guest Speakers: Chief Jerry White (Standing Bear)
Jerry White is a Cherokee Circle Chief who is also a certified Healing Touch practitioner/ instructor.
He is often invited to Medical Schools to teach the energetics of disease."

http://healingtouchassociationofcanada.org/resources/Nexus/Nexus-2008-Fall.pdf
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:38:24 pm by sky »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Jerry White AKA Standing Bear
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »
He's also listed as faculty at University of Chicago.
http://tigger.uic.edu/~pietrzak/introshaman.html

Also a woman named Marsha Read says she apprenticed with him.
http://www.energymedicinepartnerships.co.za/Newsletters/International/EMPI%20News_Vol1_No6.pdf

ETA: removed post that turned out to be the wrong person with the same name.

Offline snake

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »
First of all he is not faculty at University of Chicago (I have checked their faculty and adjunct faculty for a listing of his name with out success).  I appreciate the posts but everything posted is word of mouth. There is no proof of his training or any relationship to the Cherokee Nation that I have been able to find. the web sites listed where his name comes up do not show are not indicative of his past and easily found on line.  anyone one is able to do healing touch training and it appears the Introductory to Shamanism class is not something sponsored by the Cherokee Nation or any organization I am familiar with.

Offline snake

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »
How does one determine themself to be a "Shaman" as in the same blurb I see about him over and over but nothing more related to his biography.  I don't mean to be harsh and continue digging but i do have concern about some folks who have become deeply involved with him.

Offline snake

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »
Thanks folks for being willing to look into this further.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »
You're welcome snake. That's what we're here for :)

Offline samba

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:46:57 am »
I am interested in information as well. Jerry White appears to have developed a "cult like" following which includes some people that I care about. Although they all tell stories about how powerful a healer he is, none have been able to demonstrate to me his power or in fact anything that they have learned. Other than paying for classes, I'm not sure if they are giving him money although, rather than staying in hotels as he travels, he tends to stay in women's homes.

Any insights are appreciated.

Offline snake

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »
What Samba says also applies to my long list of concerns.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:05:38 pm »
samba and snake,

Could you share with us where he is holding workshops?  The majority that I have been able to find are in Canada and the southeastern US.  Have your friends mentioned where he is based out of?  I have yet to find accurate contact information for him.  The contacts listed for his workshops are always somebody other than himself (as well as being women).  I would suggest you contact the Cherokee Nation Task Force http://taskforce.cherokee.org/, email addy is taskforce@cherokee.org and explain to them your concerns as well as the claims this individual has made.  Ask them if they could please send you something via snailmail on tribal letterhead in response to his claims and practices (make sure you tell them he is claiming to be chief).  I would hope that your friends would take the word of the band he claims association with over his bs. 

Offline snake

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »
As far as I know he is based out of nowhere (though says he is from Texas). He also holds workshops in the Chicago area.  My understanding is that he drives to all these places where he has this female following, stays with them, and they arrange clients/"healings" and workshops for him. He also takes these women out on vision quests and other ceremonies.

Offline snake

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »
This is the email I received from the Cherokee Tribal Counsel:

Tribal Recognition to me
show details Aug 19 (3 days ago)

Thank you and keep us posted.  We will research this situation.  This sound wrong because you have to speak the Cherokee Language and be chosen to be a medicine person.  There is no legitimate Medicine Man named Standing Bear in the Cherokee Nation.

Offline medicine flower

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:58:08 pm »
I know this man personally, I took a    medicine class  in 2009 in Hickory nc. . You are correct that he preys on Women and their money. I almost lost my marriage of 30 years because of him. I am Cherokee from NC and met him because I owned a Native American gallery.
He Claims to be a cherokee medicine man from Okla.