Author Topic: Virginia Tribes  (Read 4648 times)

weheli

Virginia Tribes
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:04:51 pm »
 Update on possible federal recognition:

http://www.indiancountry.com:80/content.cfm?id=1096415012&na=2551
                                                                         Weheli

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Virginia Tribes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »
I have a friend who is from one of the Virginia tribes. I am going to call my senators and ask them to support this bill. It's been a long time coming. Next should be fed re-recognition of the Chinook and Duwamish tribes. They got recognized under Clinton then Bush jerked it away. And then had the gaul to ask the Chiniooks to participate in the Lewis and Clark stuff.

weheli

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:23:06 pm »
We also have the Lumbee Tribe of NC article:

http://www.indiancountry.com:80/content.cfm?id=1096415022&na=2551

Thinking of all these Tribes have gone through to get to this point and the backing they have leaves me to believe that the Southern Cherokee and Manfox have "wishfull thinking"!!! What of thier credentials???

Weheli

frederica

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:41:33 pm »
Some of these Virginia tribes have been waiting almost 30 years.  Not all the Virginia tribes with petitions will be recognized. There is over 300 tribes that have filed petitions many dating back to the 70's. I not sure how political some of this process is, but have heard it is. I sure don't have an answer to this group in Kentucky, I'm can't figure out why they didn't file many years ago, if what they say is true. Doesn't make a lot of sense. And the tribes that were terminated in the 50's by the government definately should be eligable. The Lumbee only got as far as being recognized as NDNs, nothing else. frederica