Author Topic: Grandmother SilverStar  (Read 11289 times)

Offline Rattlebone

Grandmother SilverStar
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »

I hope this person has not been researched before. If so I apologize. Their website looks like a huge red flag to me.

http://www.star-elders.com/

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Grandmother SilverStar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:00:19 am »
It's hard to know where to begin with her. An alleged Cherokee and Lakota running a "hummingbird healing and teaching center" in Missouri, selling calendars and books about star knowledge. Most of the ones claiming to sell star knowledge are tied to Richard Boylan, a disgraced ex psychologist who lost his license for sex with his patients. Boylan did manage to convince some actual Natives, even actual elders, to come to his conferences. She mentions a Lakota calling himself Standing Elk/Golden Eagle, who has his own thread.

From the site Rattlebone found there is an "Earthstar 13 Moon Peace Calendar of the Galactic Confederation". I guess we should ask if she's in touch with Romulans and Klingons. There's also quite a bit about the "13th Frequency Love". I wonder what frequency boredom is, or laughter.

I also like that for a super spirchul lady, she made sure and copyrighted the site and forbids cut and paste.

I'm not sure what to make of her love of numbers. 11 universal laws, 52,000 year old universal languages, 11:11, 12:12, and 13:13 "activations," and my favorite, "28 pairs of encoded stellar energies." I have no idea what it means, and doubt she does either.

On this page she also claims to be Cheyenne and Cree, and also a "Black Nation Woman and a White Nation Woman."
http://www.star-knowledge.net/silverstarshome.htm

She sells ceremonies and workshops about "harmonic concordance" and "shaman journeys". It's for 44 bucks a pop, and I can't help wonder if the amount was chosen because of her other love of numbers 11, 22, and 33.
http://www.star-knowledge.net/SilverWorkshops.htm

Also "galactic time codes" and "star dna activations". Basically she travels the world and makes grandiose claims about having met every last elder and taken part in every big ceremony, including at the UN and the Nat'l Museum of the Am Indian. She mixes and mangles together Lakota beliefs, Cherokee words, talk of medicine wheels, Haudenosaunee tradition, you name it. I'm surprised the Mayan and Incan were left out.

The site also has a "Grandmother Chandra" who says she is a telepath. I wonder if she can guess what I'm thinking...

On SS's myspace page she says she does Green Corn ceremonies, and gives detailed "how to" instructions.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=205236805&blogID=419805143

She endorses a book claiming to heal or help people with cancer using their auras.
http://www.globalmeditations.com/book1.htm

And this is disturbing. She was part of the Women's Peace Conference.
http://www.womenspeaceconference.org/pdf/Program.pdf

A woman calling herself "Mammy" invoked her for protection online.
http://groups.msn.com/newjourney/channeling.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=10918&LastModified=4675569491045862102

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »
??  Forgive my ignorance- the green corn ceremony is not our way.... but isn't the green corn ceremony held when the corn first sets on the stalk?  Those small ears?    like in late spring or early summer (depending on your location) I never thought it was for ripe corn in August?  Ok.... Now I need to know...   I'll go ask someone I know when that ceremony is usually held...

added:

ok... my friend said, " It is held when the corn is ripe and no one is supposed to eat corn until after the ceremony. August is awfully late to be having a green corn ceremony. Here in OK the last part of June and first part of July is usually when our green corn ceremonies are held. "
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:34:59 am by porkypine »
Get used to it... I CAN NOT type worth a darn.. lol

Offline 918ndnOkie

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:07 am »
??  Forgive my ignorance- the green corn ceremony is not our way.... but isn't the green corn ceremony held when the corn first sets on the stalk?  Those small ears?    like in late spring or early summer (depending on your location) I never thought it was for ripe corn in August?  Ok.... Now I need to know...   I'll go ask someone I know when that ceremony is usually held...

added:

ok... my friend said, " It is held when the corn is ripe and no one is supposed to eat corn until after the ceremony. August is awfully late to be having a green corn ceremony. Here in OK the last part of June and first part of July is usually when our green corn ceremonies are held. "

corn dance is in June July out here in Oklahoma

HAHA ok maybe i need to start reading peoples posts all the way thru.......i see where you said it at the bottom
aya ani'yv'-wiya.....nihi fvmbe vksi yoneg

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:21:06 pm »
The rainbow, "star" and trying to make a profit, doesn't cut it with me.

Offline inea1111

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:16:21 pm »
I actually joined this forum in order to post on this thread, and thank you Sparks for your welcome and encouragement.

I was just bored and did a search on her awhile ago, and this thread pops up first, before all the stuff about the Star Knowledge Conferences and other more positive spin things about her.

The fact is that she is a long-time friend of mine, and we have shared much, and I am sorry to see her listed here, although I do understand why.

We met while she was still using her Anglo name and presented her Self as being a hill billy from the Ozarks. She is very intelligent, and we were immediate friends, and stay so, even though we don't communicate much, largely because she lives in her world of metaphysics and I don't, and relating is probably hard for both sides. But if she called me, I would be there.

I watched, and was an integral force in her transformation into Silverstar. I was there when she felt called to work with Standing Elk, and I followed her adventures as they created their particular .... ummm... reality tunnel around channeling  and work in the sweat lodges. Over time she began to call her Self a little Indian child who grew up lost in a white man's world. I met many of the people who came and taught at their conferences in the early years. I always considered my self a friend to them, but as with all teachings, didn't exactly feel my reality was being defined, but many people did and still do.

Her actual cultural heritage I can't speak for. As I found out with my own genetic test, what we are taught and what is real don't always jibe. I had two 'full blood Indian' great grandmothers, one my own mother claimed to remember, who vanished into the great illusion when my test came back 99.6% European and none of the trace amounts were Native at all. Elizabeth Warren had the same experience, and I would not speculate what Silverstar's test would show. I do know that the man who is now called Chief Golden Light Eagle is from the First Nations, from the Yankton Sioux res.

I've long known that not all Silverstar claims is exactly true in what we might call consensus reality, and it is a mighty hob-gob from all manner of sources. Far more than my simple mind can embrace. But, my point is that she believes it all to be true. This is not a plastic shaman, but a True Believer, who has sacrificed much on her path and gained very, very little in a material way.

As I said on another thread, I went into the New Age as an explorer, but I kept a sense of observation and skepticism... given they had lied to me all my life about so much already. So, as Silverstar and I sat and listened to channeling, or when I channeled, or when I offered a new book or new teacher that I'd learned about, she took it all without a filter. I watched this for many years.

Silverstar is not a cynic. She has traveled the world on next to no money, fasted for days in prayer, talked to people whose names are known the world over. In this thread I remember someone mentioning her being in the ceremony at the opening of the Native American Museum in D.C. I cannot prove it, but I do believe she was. She told me about all about it, and while I have heard some pretty far-out and/or outlandish things from her, she has never lied to me. At least not over anything important.

So, what I'm coming around to is that here we have a person who has incorporated a mongrel amount of information from all manner of ethnic sources both historical and modern. She really believes and she really honors and she really sacrifices for what she believes in. She lives in her own reality, makes her own metaphysical medicine, and she tries to offer it for the good of all. Yes, her finger goes through the toilet paper from time to time, and yes, she takes pride in her 'Grandmother' status even though it's not good and proper in the traditionalist sense.

And yes, what she teaches is smoke and air to us. To her it is the beliefs of her heart. She may be quite mad, many think so, and I am on the fence... but isn't that the historical description of a shaman? Someone who breaks from conventional reality and goes off into a reality of their own?

Not to justify anything, but to explain that she is not a thief or a scammer. She really believes with all her heart, madness or not. I'm not smart enough to judge. I don't live in that particular reality tunnel, but I do know hers is benign. Mostly harmless!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 12:50:54 am »
It doesn't matter if she is delusional. She may deserve pity, but that does not change the harm she does. You say she never lied to you, but telling people she's Indian is a lie. Teaching made-up "ways" to people as "Indian ways" is a lie. It's not harmless. It's fraud.

Plastics are defined by being false, fraudulent, and misleading people. Intent does not matter. It doesn't matter whether or not they are sane. By all you have said, yes, she is plastic and a fraud.

Offline inea1111

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 04:50:59 pm »
 I totally agree with you, Defend the Sacred.

Please do not misunderstand the reason for my post. I was simply saying that in this case we do not have a slick fraudster with a marketing program, but rather, if you will, a fraudster who believes their own Voice (or we may say b.s.), above any argument that we might bring forward.

She is in association with Natives who very much encourage her in her vision of her Self and what she teaches. For every argument you and I might have, they have a deeply felt answer, and the final answer is they think they are doing good and will continue what they are doing despite all obstacles.

Golden Light Eagle has always been a source of controversy on his res to my understanding, at least since he called together the first Star Knowledge Conference on the Yankton Reservation and invited all attendees to participate in sweats and ceremony that had formerly been the province of the native people .

Traditionalists call him a heretic, he would say he is modernizing ancient teachings. I am not writing to debate either side of THAT issue, I'm not native and have no dog in the fight. I do say that I did not find my reality reflected there, and do very much understand why both he and Silverstar were brought to the attention of the users of this site.

My post was not to vindicate my friends. I do not agree with the teachings offered, and did not enjoy my own ways not being accepted as valid among some of the people around Eagle (in those days Standing Elk) and Silverstar, most of whom were only wannabes. It was easier to understand and forgive with the native people, but, those very native speakers and teachers that attend give a lot of credence to this movement. It is easy to see why so many hope to find something here.

There is this psychological effect called the Dunning-Kruger Syndrome, which says that folks with little intelligence (or knowledge) believe that what little they have grasped is all there is to know about something, and they will not be swayed by anyone more intelligent (or with more knowledge) than themselves. I find we all have to beware of that, but I also think many of these neo-Shamans and psuedo-teachers are suffering greatly from it... at least the ones who are not totally cynical..

I did not know about the Plastic Shaman movie until I got here, and I have watched it and totally agree, other than I do have to offer the fact that there WERE and still ARE Natives who saw $$$ in this area, or were interested and influenced by New Age sources and other thought systems, who abetted and gave authenticity to many of these plastic teachings and White Shamans. Many of those Natives are listed in the Frauds section of this forum.

As to what to do about it... well that is why they have 10,00 or more sects in Christianity, and the same division reflected in Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, et al.

I once asked a Lakota about his thoughts on the spate of White Buffalo being born after '96, and he was disdainful and told me they were all shams and bred from cows, while at the same time Arvol made Ceremony for them because he believes them a real Sign.

What I'm saying there is no Universal agreement on what is traditional within any thought system or attempts to understand the Sacred. So, even if we disagree, we ain't going to stop them, are we?

But for what it's worth, I am on your side in this moral question, always have been, and have said it long before there was an Internet. When I saw the anger of the traditionalists at the first Star Conference I insisted on leaving, much to the chagrin of my wife. I have been invited to Ceremony and respectfully attended, but I have never sought it out or tried to present my Self in any way as being knowledgeable in First Nations culture.

Last point though. We can say that Christianity has brought much suffering on the Earth, (as an example), but also have to acknowledge that it has inspired many to do good works. In the same light, many Anglos found meaning in whatever little they grasped when exposed to these pseudo-traditionalists. Many are kinder to the Earth and the creatures here for their little Dunning-Kruger grasp of at least the basic tenets of Native teachings. Again, not to vindicate, not to say what is proper or improper, just to observe cause and effect.

Now, aside from the religious question, cultural appropriation is a big philosophical question that I want to share my thoughts and questions on in another thread one day. Because I love to think, and to have my thoughts stimulated by new thoughts from others.

Deepest respect to all.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:00:03 pm »
She may be quite mad, many think so, and I am on the fence... but isn't that the historical description of a shaman? Someone who breaks from conventional reality and goes off into a reality of their own?

Not to justify anything, but to explain that she is not a thief or a scammer. She really believes with all her heart, madness or not. I'm not smart enough to judge. I don't live in that particular reality tunnel, but I do know hers is benign. Mostly harmless!

Please understand that the historical description belongs to the Tungusic and Evenki People. The contemporary (mis)use of the word is a term of erasure propagated by anthropologists.

She is not harmless. She is speaking tothe public and sharing bafflegab cloaked in bullshit claims of indigenous identity. Whether she has distant ancestry or not she is not rooted in any culture she claims.

As to what to do about it... well that is why they have 10,00 or more sects in Christianity, and the same division reflected in Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, et al. ... What I'm saying there is no Universal agreement on what is traditional within any thought system or attempts to understand the Sacred. So, even if we disagree, we ain't going to stop them, are we?

Indigenous spirituality is not a religion. Beliefs differ from nation to nation, band to band, clan to clan and even family to family. We have stopped culture vultures, appropriators and sellouts.

Offline inea1111

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:18:02 pm »
Well, I certainly see the point, but I'm not entirely sure if my point is being heard. That she really believes her Indian identity, as well as being supported by First Nations people in what she teaches as being authentic, and in her identity as a 'Grandmother' living traditional ways. She has a lot of support in this that does not come from white culture or poor deluded spiritual seekers.

Not justifying, not trying to soften the emotional impact you feel, just sayin'. I think about it like I would someone who really believes that they are Jesus or some other historical personage. In such a case it goes deeper than just hustling what sells to make a buck. If you thought you were Jesus and some priests helped you in your delusion, who would be at fault?

But, again, I hear your voices and get your point as far as someone from outside your culture can. I liked what the fellow said in the White Shamans movie... to go en mass and laugh at their pretentious names and claims and jeer at what is taught as traditional or historic that isn't. Good for all of you in whoever you have gotten to stop this practice.

I've said all that I need on this thread. I appreciate your voices and thoughts and good works. May we all be authentic, whatever that means to each of us. Peace.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:51 pm »
Well, I certainly see the point, but I'm not entirely sure if my point is being heard. That she really believes her Indian identity, as well as being supported by First Nations people in what she teaches as being authentic, and in her identity as a 'Grandmother' living traditional ways. She has a lot of support in this that does not come from white culture or poor deluded spiritual seekers.

@1111, what Indians are you referring to? She had contact with a questionable Lakota calling himself Golden Eagle??  And maybe tricked some other unfortunate First Nations into going to a star convention which by the way happened over 10 years ago.

I would like to know who these First Nations/Indians are you're talking about. Otherwise I call bullshit on you.

Lim limsth

Diana

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 10:49:44 pm »
"Inea 11 11" seems to think we are somehow new to the idea that many of the pretendians come to believe their own scams, that there are newage sellouts/exploiters in all cultures, that he needs to whitesplain Dunning-Kruger to us, or that this is somehow about our "feelings".

This fraud is really no different from hundreds of others we've seen. She's only special to him because, by his own admission, he helped "create" and promote her. It sounds like he was helping her sell sweats and the other dangerous things she is doing, at these newage events where she scams people. If you google her, she's still at, just at new URLs.

Dude needs to read the forum. I don't think he understands what it is we do here.

Offline inea1111

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »
It seems you come from the spiritual path that makes great leaps and assumptions and defends their points with insults. Thank you for you insults, you are an amazing teacher, now I know where not to waste my time. BTW, your opinions and leaps of 'logic' should serve the next generations well. Really glad our paths crossed.

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 09:05:16 pm »
LOL, like we should be grateful to have yet another condescending whitesplainer here to make excuses for these pretendians. Yes, it's all about being nice to those who desecrate culture. Be nice to the racist liars, that's the answer. If only we'd thought of that. /s

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 06:25:46 am »
It seems you come from the spiritual path that makes great leaps and assumptions and defends their points with insults. Thank you for you insults, you are an amazing teacher, now I know where not to waste my time. BTW, your opinions and leaps of 'logic' should serve the next generations well. Really glad our paths crossed.

@111, Bwahahaha!