Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline naturalist1133

Greetings!
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:25 am »
Hello everyone, I should probably start out by letting everyone know that I am non-native, but feel it's important for me to learn from those native to this land I live in.  I have great respect for all the tribal nations, and feel horrible that now that so many things have been stolen, people are commercializing spiritual traditions. 

From the what I've read, many aspects of Navajo and Lakota spirituality resonate with me.  I want to learn more, also from other tribes native to my area (Wisconsin), but I want to do so with respect.  I have to admit, I'm a bit hesitant to read anything anymore because even some of those who claim to be of a certain tribe are labeled frauds here. 

I don't feel lost in my spiritual life, I'm not unstable, and I'm not looking for some sort of teacher or guru.  What I am looking for are people to talk with, a chance to get the facts straight, and take responsibility in all aspects of my life, especially the spiritual. 

All that said, I appreciate the clarification made available on this site.  I understand that there's no "spiritual advice" given here, and I'm not looking for that here.  I am hoping to be pointed in the right direction though.  Is it frowned upon for non-natives to contact a tribe to learn more?  If it is not, how should one go about this in a respectful way?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »
Just like with genealogy, almost all tribes don't have the time or resources for this. They are usually about as big in numbers as a small town, after all. Their time is taken up with taking care of their members.

Contacting a tribe would lead nowhere except possibly offend the people you contact. Some of them get flooded with emails from the biggest flakes you can imagine, and you might wind up dismissed along with them. At most some might send back advice discussing how you should not disrupt traditional ceremonies. Or get a list of general history and culture books and links.