Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Durare

Hi!
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »
Hi all,

Came across your website while trying to find information about native beliefs and practices. This may sounds weird but I've been having visions of a 'shaman' and a black wolf and I am trying to find help and understanding.  I don't know where to go for help and would like to discuss these visions with someone, hopefully in my area. I thought I might be able to get some help here so I don't end up speaking with a fraud!

I am appalled at what has happened and continues to happen to natives.

Thanks,

Durare

Offline snorks

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:49:11 am »
Actually you can do a lot on your own concerning these visions.  I teach workshops on these subjects and generally tell people that they can either pay someone or work with it on their own.  Doing it yourself does help you understand the meaning further. 

For example, there are all kinds of owls.  Look up which one is yours.  Each owl has their own way of living in the natural world.  Some like the barn owl have a lot of lore attached to it.  You can look up the lore of that particular owl.  If the owl is naturally white like the snowy owl, then a black owl has more meaning than if the owl is more brown in nature.  As you work through the owls, you will discover what has meaning to you.

Then look through the meaning of black.  Each culture has different meanings for black.  Europeans use black in mourning, while Chinese use black for young boys.  They use white in mourning.  So look to the cultural context.

Example, Barn Owl.  British and Celts have a lot of lore about this owl as "The owl of doom" because it often found in graveyards.  Barn Owls in cities are excellent for keeping the rat population down.  So you have diverse opinions on this owl.  Which one makes sense to you? Then the color black - European sense is what? By doing this, you have the meaning of black owl that makes sense to you.

Offline snorks

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:22 pm »
I used the example of owl but you can do the same with wolves.  There are species of wolves beyong grey wolf such as red wolf, and dire wolf which is the ancestor of all wolves.  Look at the cultural context of 'wolf' that makes sense to you.  Yes, different cultures have different opinions on wolves.

The shaman, you could do the same thing - write down what it is about the shaman that is familiar, not familiar, think about the context in your life, what you were feeling, time of day, etc.  As you get an accurate picture, you can begin to sift through what it means to you.

I have found that many meanings such as time of day etc are often taught in English lit classes since many authors use metaphors to convey a point.  Rivers meaning life, etc.

Offline Durare

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »
Thanks for your input.  I am keeping a journal and am trying to find out more information about what I am seeing. It just seemed to happen so suddenly...a kick in the pants if you will  :)

Later,

Durare

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »
snorks, what you have posted is pretty inappropriate for this board. Please discontinue giving shaman how to advice.

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:19:20 am »
Too funny.  :D

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:54 pm »
Actually you can do a lot on your own concerning these visions.  I teach workshops on these subjects and generally tell people that they can either pay someone or work with it on their own.  Doing it yourself does help you understand the meaning further. 

For example, there are all kinds of owls.  Look up which one is yours.  Each owl has their own way of living in the natural world.  Some like the barn owl have a lot of lore attached to it.  You can look up the lore of that particular owl.  If the owl is naturally white like the snowy owl, then a black owl has more meaning than if the owl is more brown in nature.  As you work through the owls, you will discover what has meaning to you.

Then look through the meaning of black.  Each culture has different meanings for black.  Europeans use black in mourning, while Chinese use black for young boys.  They use white in mourning.  So look to the cultural context.

Example, Barn Owl.  British and Celts have a lot of lore about this owl as "The owl of doom" because it often found in graveyards.  Barn Owls in cities are excellent for keeping the rat population down.  So you have diverse opinions on this owl.  Which one makes sense to you? Then the color black - European sense is what? By doing this, you have the meaning of black owl that makes sense to you.

OH MY!! is this what people say about our dreams and vision.
"I teach workshops on these subjects and generally tell people that they can either pay someone or work with it on their own.  Doing it yourself does help you understand the meaning further. "
No you do not pay someone! No you can't do it yourself see what happens when people who have no knowledge tell what it means. Just shaking my head
In Spirit