Odds and Ends > Etcetera

The Word "Aho"

<< < (7/9) > >>

milehighsalute:

--- Quote from: earthw7 on October 25, 2013, 12:31:49 am ---
--- Quote from: choctawwind on October 22, 2013, 06:42:46 pm ---The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

--- End quote ---

Too funny we dont have an "amen".......................... thats a christian thing,
It is not our words ask any Lakota ;D ;D

--- End quote ---
besides didnt we already establish aho is NOT a lakota word?

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: milehighsalute on November 15, 2013, 06:40:12 pm ---
--- Quote from: earthw7 on October 25, 2013, 12:31:49 am ---
--- Quote from: choctawwind on October 22, 2013, 06:42:46 pm ---The word Aho is the MASCULINE version of Lakota, Aho Mitakuye Oyasin........like "amen"..........to hear a woman say "Aho" is so wannabe and inappropriate.  Women should say "Iyay".  Iyay Mitakuye Oyasin.

--- End quote ---

Too funny we dont have an "amen".......................... thats a christian thing,
It is not our words ask any Lakota ;D ;D

--- End quote ---
besides didnt we already establish aho is NOT a lakota word?

--- End quote ---

We sure did ;)

el bufalo blanco:
Cloud, I am sure that el Coyote Cruz a Jicarilla Apache medicine man who adopted me into his tribe was not lying to me about the meaning of this word, Aho! means "It is good" or "It is true". Just because a German or Japanese word sounds like it doesn't mean it's not and American Indian word. I lived on the reservation for many years and no one I heard was using the word as an insult. A greeting yes just as the word Hoka-hey has a dual meaning, "It is a good day to live" when spoken to a friend but when used as a battle cry it means "It is a good day to die!" Many words used by Native American Indians don't even exist in the english language and a big thing to remember is that Indians didn't use many words like all the rest of the world. My medicine man told me that words are sacred so don't use them frivolously, just say what you mean and be done. Also the movie Indians saying "How." as a greeting, not true they were saying "Aho." and as usual the whites did not understand. I hope you get to see this and it helps you Blessings.

Epiphany:
el bufalo blanco, could you introduce yourself in the Member Introductions section, thanks.

You can tell us there about this "El Coyote Cruz".  Is this quote from you?

--- Quote ---I was adopted by an Apache medicine man named El Coyote Cruz, the holy coyote. He taught me that survival is not a technique but a inborn will that we all have.
--- End quote ---

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: el bufalo blanco on June 18, 2014, 10:40:49 pm ---el Coyote Cruz a Jicarilla Apache medicine man who adopted me into his tribe
--- End quote ---

On adoption ceremonies: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1294.0 

I think you mean this person made you a relative, not that you were adopted unanimously by every member of the tribe?  It would be quite something for an entire tribe to agree to adopt someone.  We'd like to hear about that. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version