Odds and Ends > Etcetera

The Word "Aho"

<< < (5/9) > >>

critter - a white non-ndn person:
An "honorarium of around $500/day or $100/hr"  I guess their books and artwork isn't selling too well .. 

This is really sick though, that's a revolting amount of money to charge and call it an 'honorarium'  and some may need more 'honorarium' for their time..  good grief.. who in the world is worth that much?  Or think they are.. or.. well, whatever, I just really hate this kind of thing. 

There are real people in the real world who are seriously trying to follow a feeling in side of them .. a feeling of 'Spirit'..  and this is all they are offered to help them on their way..  a charge of 500 bucks/100 per hour to help them. 

The people charging this money should be ashamed.. but of course they are not.. they're egos tell them they are well worth it..  and so.. I'll put the L and the E at the end of Aho and say that to them..  at least.. I'll know what I mean with it.. 

Defend the Sacred:

--- Quote from: Cloud on December 28, 2009, 10:01:38 pm ---Evidently they've been told that the fraud thing is all because the Apache nation isn't thrilled that Maria is teaching people who aren't Apache and that Maria says it needs to be passed down and taught to others if it's to survive.

I feel sick.

--- End quote ---

That's a common fraud thing. I've met a number of white people who sincerely believed they were helping NDNs and cultural survival by learning ceremonies from frauds. They had no idea. Another common thing is for the frauds to tell the nons that the ceremonies need to be spread beyond NDNs so we can all "heal the earth". They really believe that by mimicking ceremonies they are helping.

WINative:
Hau (used only by men)-Lakota. Is the word for greeting or hello. As an urban Indian this is where I was taught it came from. The spelling has been changed to "Aho" and it has become a pan-indian word of prayer like saying Amen or giving your acknowledgment or support also. This is where the Hollywood film got there greetings of "How!" for Italian-played Indians...

earthw7:
Its a Kiowa word that was spread by the pow-wow circle and became the new age word
so even today we have our young people using the word to sound REAL NATIVE  ;D ;D

Late Worm:
I've heard the term "aho" used for years and years - by various Indian groups.  I think it was popular at Wounded Knee to talk that way.  But look at the context - a speaker says something to a group and they respond with "aho."  It's another way of saying "amen" - I mean that's the way it functions.  Even if it was derived from a particular indigenous language it's use today is a matter of style and fashion.  Come to think of it I've heard it used in Mexico also among Indians - pretty funny since in Spanish "ajo" is wild garlic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version