Odds and Ends > Etcetera

The Word "Aho"

<< < (4/9) > >>

apukjij:
In Mi'kmaq the term Ta ho is an ancient term, is used at the end of a Traditional Ceremonial song, or sometimes at the end of a speech; to signify aggreement and add emphasis to what is being shared by one or the group of listeners present. however it is never used at the end of catholic prayers or hymns that have been translated into Mi'kmaq. Mohawk Elder Tom Porter uses it at the end of his Traditional prayers, he teaches in his way that it means "we are of one mind and one heart about it" it being what ever prayer or song was being shared. It is not known if it was used at the end of Traditional Mi'kmaq Prayers before contact.

E.P. Grondine:
A good question.

I quick internet search on "aho" has it showing up in omaha, iowa, and odawa.

I suspect it may have come from an algonquin source, cognate with shawnee "ahah", "yes", but more emphatic: "Yes!".

It also seems to be being used in the sense of "hello", "thanks", and "blessing".

earthw7:
Too funny ;D ;D

So many new agers and wannabes use this word trying to be
something and don't even know where it came from. what can
you say DUH!

critter - a white non-ndn person:
I don't know.. I put an L and an E at the end, and then I know what it means...  :D

Cloud:
I received more background on the info from a couple of new friends who say "Aho" is an Apache word. It was taught to them by their Apache teacher, Maria Yraceburu. I pointed them in the direction of NAFPS. Evidently they've been told that the fraud thing is all because the Apache nation isn't thrilled that Maria is teaching people who aren't Apache and that Maria says it needs to be passed down and taught to others if it's to survive.

I feel sick.

Interesting. Google actually lists a phone number for her. Yraceburu EarthWisdom - Escondido California - 760.445.6266 http://www.yraceburu.org/Maria.html  Part of this website lists her as being Chiricahua Apache now. Or was she always claiming that in addition to the Quero Apache?

I googled the phone number. This woman has her fists in everything!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version