Author Topic: Yet another theme park disrespecting Indigenous peoples  (Read 6672 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Yet another theme park disrespecting Indigenous peoples
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:12:49 pm »

This is not about Native Americans, but just had to show you this.

I was made aware of this park - Lapland UK - by my Sami friends. (And they are pretty upset!)  Some rich guy started this theme park inviting people to come to Lapland. (Which is a part of my country - funny, it has moved to UK!!!) Come and meet Father Christmas and his reindeer, visit the toy factory, hear the sleigh bells...yeah, that´s all fine. If it had stayed there. But oooh no.....

In Lapland UK, people can dress up and play Samis!! Have a look at this:
http://www.laplanduk.co.uk/gallery.html

Geez, it never ends, does it....urrrrrrk!

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: Yet another theme park disrespecting Indigenous peoples
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:53:15 am »
Lapland park guard quits in shame

A security guard at a Lapland-style theme park criticised by visitors as "hell" and a "scam" said he resigned because he was "ashamed to work there".

"Santa got attacked, one of the elves got smacked in the face and pushed into a pram.
"I was punched in the forehead in the ticket office by an irate customer.
"I was ashamed to work there, really, really ashamed."

Nothing in the article about the racism of the whole idea. As I guess you know a lot of Brits put Saami people into the same category as Indians: mythical, probably-extinct creatures. No need to worry about offending them.

I expect the place will close pretty quickly after this.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:44 am »
Thanks for the update, Barnaby. I sent the link to my Sami friends....
I looked at the photos from the park - Good God!! It sure looked tacky!

We have a  Christmas theme park here in my hometown which is open in November and December, it´s absolutely beautiful and attracts loads of tourists, even from other countries. They also present Sami culture - in a very educational and positive way, where the kids (AND adults) can learn about the Sami ways.

It´s just an example of how it can be done if you have the right attitude!

Anyway, good to hear that the park might be closed.
And it sure gave me a giggle:
"Santa got attacked, one of the elves got smacked in the face and pushed into a pram.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:32:32 pm »
The place you wrote about is in Kent, the one I wrote about is/was in Dorset: it's now closed down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7765080.stm

Sorry, should have checked before posting. Who knew that's there's more than one 'Lapland'?

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:39:36 am »
It was all over the papers here in Sweden yesterday - about the closing of that park. I sure thought it was the same park, too. Didn´t know Lapland was that popular in Britain! :)

People here get a big laugh out of it. I guess it is pretty much like for Native Americans to see the wannabes - either you get mad or your laugh your head off.

But not ONE paper here has mentioned the racism.
On the other hand, don´t know if this Dorset park had any Samis.....