Author Topic: Raven Hail-Anyone know how valid her writings are?  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Isa1961

Raven Hail-Anyone know how valid her writings are?
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »
I found another perhaps earlier source in my search for the traditional Cherokee calendar...Raven Hail.
I have seen where people call it bunk, and others endorse it...
anyone know about her?

Wado,
Isabel

Offline tachia

Re: Raven Hail-Anyone know how valid her writings are?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:29:26 am »
RAVEN HAIL(1921-2005)

Source: http://indiancountrynews.net/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5143&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

Excerpts:
“For those who would like to blend the meaning of the stars with Native American New Age ideas, Raven Hail has authored Cherokee Astrology.”

“Cherokee Astrology contains a succinct introduction to Cherokee religion, which the author applies to New Age methods of self-awareness.”

Note: the bold is mine, I hope for obvious reasons .. my opinion? Nuage BS and nothing more .. definitely not authentic nor tradish .. ..

Source:
http://www.amazon.ca/Cherokee-Sacred-Calendar-Raven-Hail/dp/0892818042

excerpts .. from customer reviews:

“As an official of the Cherokee Nation, let me advise the readers that the "teachings" of "Raven Hail" are not endorsed by the Nation, nor in fact, do they follow any Cherokee historical or cultural beliefs that I have ever heard.”

A New Age version of the Mayan calendar given new Cherokee-esque names. What is reprehensible about this book is that Raven Hail is in fact a Cherokee tribal member.”

“The Cherokee Sacred Calendar is a piece of writing that begs for explanations. Why is the Cherokee astrological system essentially the same as that of the Maya and Aztecs and why hasn't this come out before? (We are also informed of the news that the Cherokee counted in a vegisimal system of dots and bars exactly like that of the Maya). Why do only some of the personality descriptions seem to be cleverly lifted (a short string of words at a time) from those in the book "Day-Signs: Native American Astrology From Ancient Mexico" but not others? Why are the tables the same as those in that unmentioned and uncited book? These are questions that both the author and the publisher need to answer.”

Note: bold is mine, again for what would seem to me to be obvious reasons .. .. just a bunch of nuage mix and match bs and apparently some plagiarism ..