Author Topic: Spirits for Sale  (Read 101319 times)

Offline Johnnie

Re: Spirits for Sale
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:25:57 pm »
Freija,

I had some trouble getting on this board, kind of technical difficulties. But I read a lot, like I do on the Indianz board, before I posted.  My suspicion, confirmed by his last post to you, is that SteveW is a plant, trolling to make trouble.

I know an Oglala man who travels the country making ghost shirts.  He is a direct descendent of those who died at WK in 1890 and his family was deeply involved in WK II.  When I first saw his displays, I admit i was disturbed, but I am not Oglala, I have no say in the matter.  But we talked.  He does not make millions, only enough to go in and out of Pine Ridge and take care of his family. right or wrong, he believes what he does is therapy.

That is how I look at what you do.  Therapy.  Therapy for those overseas who would exploit Native religions.  And therapy for us who are concerned.

SteveW did not see the posts you made about giving the profits back to those who helped with the film, or he chose not to see that.  Or worse, he saw it and ignored it in order to try to pick off a few people from this board.  Cause his real intent is not as says, to "come and learn" but to come and discredit.

I believe in what you are doing.  I use these kinds of films in my classes.  And when the opportunity comes, I would use your film. 

And SteveW, the reason why Indians have not done films about European religion?  Throw away line, cause what exactly is European religion?  Do you know?  Do you mean Roman Catholicism?  Do you mean Lutheran? 

I know a lot of Native film makers and actors.  And they have such a hard time with funding their artistic enterprises.   In short, your concern is not with Native filmmakers, it is not even with Freija and her film.  Your concern is discrediting the people on this board.

Tell me I am wrong.

Johnnie

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:53:55 pm »
Johnnie, Annika, and anyone else.

Steve is obviously either Lekay or his ally. All replies to him should be in the thread "Steve's Sidetrack." He won't be allowed to comment anywhere else til he comes clean about who he is.

frederica

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
Agree, I think that was evident when he asked such a question about Paula Horne. frederica

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »
Hi Annika, i finally got on to the site.
In Spirit

Laurel

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 06:11:22 pm »
I'd really like to see this--and teach it to my classes when/if a DVD becomes available.

Laurel

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 09:04:41 am »
Hi Annika, i finally got on to the site.

Heeeej!!!

So nice to see you here, LaDonna! I am travelling a lot right now, so I don´t have much time to pop in here. But I will try to keep up with the news and again, great to have you onboard!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 05:33:20 pm »
Our website is up! Finally!  www.spiritsforsale.com

See the 3 minutes trailer

We will add some more pages, more photos and a blog. There will also be information about where the film will be screened. I have showed the film to some small groups and wow....what a reaction! People cried, some of them were in shock (especially the ones thinking all Ndn:s live in tipis and look like Disney-Pocahonta), some vowed they would do anything to help stop the exploitation.

Peeewh, can´t believe we finally reached the goal - it was a bumpy road, but it was worth it!!

Offline ironbuffalo

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 06:47:34 pm »

This is a film that definitely should be shown in my area. Are there any future plans to make it available on DVD?

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 07:36:25 pm »
It will definitely be available on DVD eventually but it might take a couple of years. When you start selling it on DVD, it will be up on the Internet before you know it....and then noone will pay to see it. And we´ve gotto try to get our money back. At least some of it....

We will start with filmfestivals and TV Channels all over the world. Let the world get something to speak about! LOL

I will keep you all updated on where and when it´ll be screened and also when it will be available on DVD.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:14 pm »
This is very exciting! You've all worked so hard, and now I'm sure your effort and commitment will bear fruit.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 07:42:52 am »
Thank you SO much, Barnaby. Yeah, it´ll be worth all the struggle, I am sure. Can´t wait until it goes up on the big screens here in October. The tickets are almost sold out. Yesterday we had an email from a filmfestival in Florida asking us to enter the film.... :)

We made a new poster for our organisation. I really like that photo from the film with me handing over the feather....it symbolizes so many things...

www.world-foundation.nu/fjaderSFS.jpg

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 03:48:20 pm »
Tansi;

Have you entered your film in the Toronto film festival, which is going to be held, shortly?

Ric

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 04:41:47 pm »
Tansi;

Have you entered your film in the Toronto film festival, which is going to be held, shortly?

Ric

Hej Ric - yes, as far as I know the film is entered for the Toronto festival. (It´s the production company dealing with this....that´s why I am not 100% sure.) So keep your fingers crossed pleaseeeeee....

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 09:16:05 pm »
THE WORLD DEBUT will be in South Dakota! And what could have been more appropriate?! It´s a lovely coincidence because we didn´t plan it, we just sent it out to loads of filmfestivals.

It´ll be screened at the South Dakota Filmfestival in Aberdeen in the evening of 22nd September. We would sure appreciate Natives being there to answer any questions, so if you´re close by, maybe you could make your way there?

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 09:51:30 pm »
THE WORLD DEBUT will be in South Dakota! And what could have been more appropriate?! It´s a lovely coincidence because we didn´t plan it, we just sent it out to loads of filmfestivals.

It´ll be screened at the South Dakota Filmfestival in Aberdeen in the evening of 22nd September. We would sure appreciate Natives being there to answer any questions, so if you´re close by, maybe you could make your way there?

Great news!  Best wishes for a great premiere!