Author Topic: Spirits for Sale  (Read 104053 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Spirits for Sale
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2007, 09:57:57 am »
Thanks to Kantuta - who is a member of this board - our film will be shown at the Sami Filmfestival in Norway in April.

It makes me happy that our own indigenous peoples find the film such a useful tool. Exploiting Native cultures is unfortunately a problem occuring all over the world and this kind of film can hopefully start discussions about the abuse.

Thank you so much again for all your help, Kantuta. I will phone your other contacts once the holidays are over.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:49 pm »

The local TV-channel in my hometown made an interview with me yesterday where I got to speak freely (which I DID....LOL) and they will show that interview together with footage from the film during several occasions next week.

We are slowly getting there :=)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:24:56 pm by Freija »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 03:13:20 am »
This is great news, badly needed after that ugly film that came out. In about a wekk I should know when the museum here in San Antonio will want to play film too, probably in the summer.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 03:19:43 am »
Excellent! Congratulations!

Any hope of airing here in the US? Maybe on a channel like PBS, Discovery or National Geographic? Or maybe Link TV http://www.linktv.org/ , which reaches a smaller audience but is politically progressive (as far as I can tell). With the writers strike here, documentaries are being aired a lot more than usual.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:42 pm »
Kathryn, it is terribly difficult to get the TV channels interested. There are so many films made.....

But if any of you would like to get me addresses, preferably some contacts to write to (or, as always, the DVD will just "disappear" somewhere....) I will sure give it a try.

Thanks!

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 05:14:44 pm »
Annika,
It's not tv, but how about the Seattle International Film Festival?

http://www.seattlefilm.org/news/detail.aspx?NID=130&year=2008

Also, on Public Broadcasting TV, there are some venues there that might air the film. I will see what I can find out.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 08:01:33 pm »
Unfortunately it is too late for entries to the Seattle Inetrnational Film Festival.
Maybe next year.

Thanks for your help, Debbie!!

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:40 pm »
Next showings:

2nd March & 8th March at Cinema Abelli in Umeå, Sweden. Hosted by the Samiis.
I´ll be going up there, really looking forward to it!

7th March, Haskell Indian Nations University, Lawrence, Kansas is hosting their 4th Annual Film Festival
Spirits for Sale will be screened at 7 pm

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:28 pm »
Good I will have my sister attend she lives there
In Spirit

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 07:35:11 pm »
Just returned from up north, from the opening of the Samii week - a whole week of Samii culture, activities, presentations, films - for non-Samiis to learn more about our indigenous people. I had been invited up there to show the film. We had hoped for someone from the film to be able to attend, too, but unfortunately it didn´t work out, so I was asked to say something at the opening ceremony. It was a great "promotion" of the film since media was there !  (I quoted some words from Arvol,  I felt it would be better that a Lakota voice was "heard")

A lot of people came to see the film, both Samiis and non-Samiis. And the questions afterwards were good - apart from some guy (non-Samii) (of course) who got mad at Alex White Plume who talks about the massacre at Wounded Knee. He threw a fit, told me off for Alex´s comments (huh??) and stomped out. LOL.

It turned out that this city I went to was one of the "centres" for Rainbow Eagle and some of his followers were in the audience. One of them loved the film, said "I knew something was wrong!!" and bought the DVD to show to the other followers!! Funny!

The Samii Council and the Samii organisations also bought the film, it will be used as an educational film around the Samii communities. They will do everything they can to spread it all over the northern part of Sweden, hopefully Norway, too.

Oh, up till now three guys from Deer Tribe have talked to me to tell me they have left. What is happening over here is that people see the film, read the books, words are being spread around and I think all of those guys who knew it was wrong finally got the guts to speak out since they can "hide" behind the film and the books. It is like a new "movement" over here, geeeeez, it feels sooooo good!

Just giving you some good news on and off. We need it :)

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 09:39:59 pm »
Yep, we do! It must be particularly satisfying for you when the film gets people to wake up.

What are people up there saying about Historiens fångar?

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:03 pm »
and bought the DVD to show to the other followers!! Funny!

Is the DVD now available?

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2008, 08:22:40 pm »
and bought the DVD to show to the other followers!! Funny!

Is the DVD now available?

We´ve sold it to some organisations - but we will release it for anyone to buy in about a month.
Will let you all know as soon as it is available!

A local  TV channel made a teaser, just five minutes, showing footage from the film and asking me about exploitation. It has been on during two weeks, just noticed it was scheduled for next week, too, and now even in the Stockholm region (our capital) It is being aired every day, three times a day....over and over and over again!
Haha...pretty funny....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:00:17 am by Kathryn »

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »
More showings:

Sami Filmfestival in Kautokeino, Norway
The film is screened Monday 17th March

Uddevalla Muséum, Sweden
5th April

Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, USA
Medicine man/Spiritual advisor symposium 10 - 12 April
10th April 1.30 - 3.30, presentation by Arvol Looking Horse

Anyone who wants more info, please contact me.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:29 pm »
More showings:

Sami Filmfestival in Kautokeino, Norway
The film is screened Tuesday 18th March

Uddevalla Muséum, Sweden
5th April

Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, USA
Medicine man/Spiritual advisor symposium 10 - 12 April
10th April 1.30 - 3.30, presentation by Arvol Looking Horse

Anyone who wants more info, please contact me.

Just had to add this link, it´s from the Sami Filmfestival where they have an outdoor cinema - you can come with snowscooters and reindeer sleighs.

Isn´t it beautiful?

http://www.samifilmfestival.no/page.jsp?id=16&mid=24
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:47:13 pm by Freija »