Author Topic: Passing as Native Musicians  (Read 109223 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Passing as Native Musicians
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
He says in his bio that he was adopted by a Lakota Family making the claim that because of the adoption he has the all the rights of the Lakota. NOT
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:12:42 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline Superdog

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:28 pm »
He says in his bio that he was adopted by a Lakota Family amking the claim that because of the adoption he has the all the rights of the Lakota. NOT

Where did you find that Earth??

I'm not disputing it...just looking for it.  Everything in his media center on his website has him saying he's Oglala Lakota. 

http://www.johntwohawks.com/theJTHpromopage.html

"John Two-Hawks is a gentle, humble man who credits his late mother and father - who were Lakota and Potawatomi - for teaching him that the most important life lesson is to be kind.  John has taken these lessons and more from his family elders and others and applied them to his life, believing always, in the power of peace, hope and love."

"Some have said that John Two-Hawks is a 'human anthology' of accurate information about the culture, traditions and history of American Indian people.  Of the Oglala Lakota Sioux nation himself, John has spent his life learning from the elders and teachers of many nations."

--------------------------------------------

I have no idea how true it all is....but that's what he says on his own site.

However, true or not...I do have a problem with him selling "medicine retreat" workshops.  Watched the video with Nightwish as well....he doesn't sing Lakota music like any Lakota people I've ever met....his voice is trained wrong for it.  Sounds like a non-Indian....just my impression.

Never heard of him before this though and even though I mentioned the Grammy nomination earlier as being true...the board has already gone over how the music industry defines Native American music as just anything that can be sold with that label on it, regardless of it's origins, so the nomination really doesn't say much.

In short, he seems to know how to put on a good show...but he bugs me.

Superdog

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »
BlackWolf, I'm not saying that hanging out with Indians, dressing like an Indian, getting your picture taken with Indians, will make you Indian. The point I was trying to make is that we don't know that John Two-Hawks isn't Lakota and obviously there are many who do accept him. Before we label someone a liar and a fraud, we need facts. So far, we have none.

I never specifically said he's a liar bls926.  If you read my post, you'll see that I still leave open the possiblity that he is "Lakota".  But from what I've found out so far, he's not of Lakota heritage.  If you read all of his interviews very carefully, you'll realize that he is very elusive about his heritage.  As I said before, besides my own investigation, I've asked actual Lakota people from North and South Dakota about him.  I think if anyone would know about this, then it would be actual Lakota people from Lakota communities.  If it turns out that he is of Lakota heritage, then it would be his right to call himself Lakota.  But as of yet, I beleive him not to be of Lakota heritage.  If someone has A SHRED of evidence that he is of Lakota heritage, please post it here so we can clear this up in regards to his heritage.  If it later comes out that he is of Lakota heritage, then I'll retract the statment that I think he's a fake Native musician.  However, I'd still consider him an exploiter for what he's doing with his Mending Medicine Retreat, public Lakota ceremonies, and questionable books he has written. 

Offline Superdog

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 04:18:36 pm »
Here's another in the list of things that bug me about him....he's giving Indian names to people overseas.

From the same interview as quoted by BLS.....

http://www.beyondearcandy.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=120

"So I went home and started playing this kantele and I actually put it on my Wild Eagles DVD and I put it on this song that I actually composed for Ewo and his fiancé, Olga, because of that experience that I had on those islands that night. It was magic. I named the song Mystic Island. It’s with the kantele and the flutes. It’s just a beautiful song.

Then I wrote another song on disk two for my dear friend, Tuomas. It’s a special song and it’s named for him. It’s called Shadow Wolf. He knows what that’s about. (smiles)

AMBR: That’s the Indian name you gave him?

JTH: Yea, I don’t want to take too much credit for it because it’s a spiritual thing. That’s his name. It’s what we call a spirit name. It’s powerful."

Ohhhhh brother.

Superdog

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 04:47:51 pm »
Yeah I read that about the name giving he says his wife gave the name. And that they've never done it before.. doesn't say if they are doing it since..

http://www.beyondearcandy.com/nwfeature2hawks.htm

During the taping of “Creek Mary’s Blood”, Two-Hawks developed a special bond with the Finnish keyboardist. “He and I are musical soul mates,” the Indian declared. This sense of connection the two musicians felt was so strong, Two-Hawks felt compelled to bestow on Tuomas an Indian name. Though he did not come up with the name, Two Hawks felt the honor was appropriate. “I can’t take credit for the name coming, because the name really came from my wife (Peggy),” he admitted. “My wife had dreams when she was in Finland and they were all about Tuomas and they all had to do with certain things. So a name came to her.”

“I’ve gotta be honest with you, this is something that happened this one time only,” he continued. “We’ve never done an naming ceremony ever. So we did a small private ceremony with Tuomas and that’s how he received the name. As he’s probably said or implied, it is sort of personal and private.”
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 05:15:34 pm »
The only Two Hawk I can find in Lakota country come from the Lower brule Reservation none on Pine Ridge rez
In Spirit

Offline flyaway

• "Your mind is your strongest weapon"
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:39 pm »
Well I emailed as to info about Two Hawks and what all wa offered in the retreats, here is the response:

John sent you a message.

--------------------
Re: Medicine Retreats

We appreciate your interest in the Mending Medicine Retreat.  A deeper connection is what the retreat is all about.  It is about finding balance and meaning in your life, and a deeper spiritual connection.  John practices his Lakota spirituality privately, so inipi and canupa teachings are not a part of the retreat.  We hope this does not disappoint you.  We assure you the weekend is a very special time to connect with good people and reconnect with your life vision.  You can read more about the Mending Medicine Retreat, and all our other retreats at: http://www.facebook.com/l/e3ae1;www.johntwohawks.com
Thanks again for writing!  All the best to you and yours.
The JTH Web Team
--------------------
No disclosure as to anything about him at all, I di ask who his teachers, Elders were. Nothing.
Walk with the Sun; Dance with the Moon; Sing with the Stars; But always...Run with the Wind. -
Snow Owl, Nevada. December 8, 2001

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:21 am »
 There are laws that make it so you must be a member of a federally or state recognized tribe to sell artwork labeled as Native American.

So maybe it should be made to be illegal to claim to be doing authentic native music if you are not recognized.

Offline bls926

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 05:18:44 am »
He says in his bio that he was adopted by a Lakota Family amking the claim that because of the adoption he has the all the rights of the Lakota. NOT

I'm not disputing it...just looking for it.  Everything in his media center on his website has him saying he's Oglala Lakota.

Superdog, earth was talking about Douglas Spotted Eagle. In his bio, he says he was adopted by a Lakota family.

Here's another in the list of things that bug me about him....he's giving Indian names to people overseas.

http://www.beyondearcandy.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=120

I didn't quote from any of Two-Hawks' interviews. I've read some of them, but haven't commented on any of them.

I don't want anyone to think I'm defending this guy or taking up for him in any way. The point I've been trying to make is that we don't know if he's Lakota or not. Can't really call him a fraud until we have facts. We need to do more research. I agree with everyone that the retreats, the questionable books, and some of the rest of it screams exploitation. But, like I said before, I've known enrolled Lakota to sell a ceremony or two. It isn't right, but it doesn't make them frauds.

Hearing what earth has to say about this is good. Thank you, LaDonna. Was hoping we'd hear from you or Cetan.

Offline bls926

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 05:27:05 am »
There are laws that make it so you must be a member of a federally or state recognized tribe to sell artwork labeled as Native American.

So maybe it should be made to be illegal to claim to be doing authentic native music if you are not recognized.

I agree with you completely, Rattle. Unfortunately, neither music nor the written word is covered by the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990. So, anyone can sing what they want, write what they want, and call themself whatever they want. Yes, the law should be changed.

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 07:17:31 am »

I agree with you completely, Rattle. Unfortunately, neither music nor the written word is covered by the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990. So, anyone can sing what they want, write what they want, and call themself whatever they want. Yes, the law should be changed.

I did have my reservations about making that post though. Some of the same parties involved that made that Arts and Craft laws of 1990 are trying to make it to where a person can not publish anything as an Indian person unless federally recognized, which will definitely encroach on constitutional rights of free speech and expression.

Sure there was the issue with that one white man who was writing as a Navajo and raking in millions, however though much much fewer then those who claim to be NDN without proof; there are indeed NDN people whom have fell through the cracks of the enrollment process.

If such a law was passed, it may bar them from ever writing their life or family experience as the NDN people they are. Some of those who fall under the category of so called "self identified," are only so because of these issues. In such cases the Arts and Crafts law will effect them to, but I cringe at the thought of such a law being passed that bars them from putting things in writing as well.

Frauds are going to pop up regardless, and they should be exposed instead of taking the course of making so many laws in regards to these things that it gets destructive and oppressive.

Of course this topic is music so I don't want to get off track, but sometimes I almost feel like the solution to some things are just as bad as the problem themselves.

Offline Superdog

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »

I'm not disputing it...just looking for it.  Everything in his media center on his website has him saying he's Oglala Lakota.

Superdog, earth was talking about Douglas Spotted Eagle. In his bio, he says he was adopted by a Lakota family.

I didn't quote from any of Two-Hawks' interviews. I've read some of them, but haven't commented on any of them.

I don't want anyone to think I'm defending this guy or taking up for him in any way. The point I've been trying to make is that we don't know if he's Lakota or not. Can't really call him a fraud until we have facts. We need to do more research. I agree with everyone that the retreats, the questionable books, and some of the rest of it screams exploitation. But, like I said before, I've known enrolled Lakota to sell a ceremony or two. It isn't right, but it doesn't make them frauds.

Hearing what earth has to say about this is good. Thank you, LaDonna. Was hoping we'd hear from you or Cetan.

Sorry for the mixup.  My apologies.

Thanks for clearing it up :)
Superdog

Offline bls926

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »
No problem, Superdog. It got confusing, since we were talking about two who claim a connection to the Lakota.

As for the Indian Arts and Crafts Act . . . Freedom of expression, freedom of speech? Rattle, what's the difference between a carving and a novel? Both are expressions. Why should a pretendian be allowed to write a story but not be allowed to make a piece of jewelry? The Act should apply to all expressions of art. If you aren't Indian, don't market your creations as Native American.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 03:44:15 pm »
Superdog, here's an article that John Two Hawks wrote about the Hunkapi or making of Relatives Ceremony.  Although he does imply elsewhere that he is Oglala Lakota by blood, its interesting what he says here.  So I'm wondering now about this and if besides his alledged blood conncection to being Lakota, if he is also claiming to be Lakota because he participated in this?  I think these types of ceremonies were discussed in other threads and it goes over what they are and aren't.

http://www.nativecircle.com/pppartindian.html

In Lakota tradition, we have a ceremony called Hunkapi, or,
the Making of Relatives.  In this ceremony, a person who is
not Lakota is brought in.  After the ceremony is complete it
was fully understood that this person was 100% completely
Lakota.  This was, and still is, the power of this ancient rite.
Somehow, many of us have forgotten the truth and wisdom
of this ceremony.  Many Indians today think the 'amount' of
Indian blood is what matters, when according to our own
sacred rites, it is clear that it is not only blood, but Spirit
which defines the essence of a human being.................

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »
Rattle. Unfortunately, neither music nor the written word is covered by the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990. So, anyone can sing what they want, write what they want, and call themself whatever they want. Yes, the law should be changed.

Though you might call yourself a descendant, the bottom line is you are Cherokee because you are Cherokee by blood.

I don't know what impact your ancestry might have had on your life, but being that you are present here it would seem it must have by some degree or another.

However they might be people, and that may or may not include you that have had the Indian ancestry be a huge part of their life, and from that dictate what experiences and points of view they have.

So if they do not have federal recognition, I do not think they should be barred from writing about their lives or experiences etc due to lack of recognition.

If they are frauds, then they can be exposed by places like this and the community.

Last I checked this is still the United States, and though it is far from perfect; I would hate to see it go down the path of over regulating people to the point to where they are not allowed to speak the truth about their lives or family due to issues that ultimately are the fault of the United States government in the first place.

We should not get so caught up in hunting down frauds or preventing them from operation to the point we lose sight that the purpose is to defend NDN people, and sometimes there are those who for whatever did fail to get recognized, but should not be confused with those who claim some ggggg grandmother they can not prove.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:52:16 pm by Rattlebone »