Author Topic: Southern Cherokee Nation of KY?  (Read 116669 times)

Buffaloheart

Re: Southern Cherokee Nation of KY?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 05:31:07 am »
You say you  are traditional but not  as traditional  as our ancestors let me ask you this  since you have it out there for the whole world to see..
Since when is it tradition to have a 8 inch concrete block in the sacred fire or is that a new tradition that im not aware of.................
[/quote]

Buffaloheart writes:

Well I guess you did not like the link I posted.....lol   I agree, I think a nice big rock might have been a better choice, but it wasn't actually in the fire was it? I thought it was used to keep the logs proped in place.......You make a good point though and I will run it by the Elders.

Peace Brother  

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2007, 05:40:04 am »
No disrespect to you or youre elders you shouldnt have to run it by youre elders
They should know better and know how to build the fire. If they really know how.........

Buffaloheart

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2007, 06:01:17 am »
Since as you can see above you are big on referring to documents
can you show me any documents from the past ten years for positive interactions other than the  supossed recent ones from the GREAT Ernie Flecther

Buffalo writes:

Our Tribal members have lobbied for a Native American day in several state juristictions over the last decade and have been sucessful in a few cases. We have only a few of our documents posted on our web site that are readily viewable to the public. I am sure that the BIA will be asking all the questions that you have been asking and then some. Again you may contact Tribal headquarters, if you need further proof of our genuineness. I wish you luck.    

Buffaloheart

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 06:12:33 am »
No disrespect to you or youre elders you shouldnt have to run it by youre elders
They should know better and know how to build the fire. If they really know how.........

No disrespect taken.  If you ever choose to visit, Our lodge is always open to you.

Blessings to you Brother,

Buffalo

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 12:02:59 pm »

The SCN is not a Monarchy. This is a term traditionally reserved for rulers of small European countries where it was written into their constitution that the eldest heir would someday be King.  We do have an executive branch, legislative branch and judicial branch all of which are primarily comprised of our Elders. We also have seven Clan Mothers all of which are also Elders. The Elders play an important role within the SCN and continue to find their way into positions of responsibility and accountability. We have evolved differently from other contemporary Cherokee and I hope we do not pattern ourselves after them. We are more traditional, but admittedly not as traditional as our ancient ancestors, but we are comfortable with who we are. I did find a link that you might be interested in.

"Monarchy"=generic term for rule by a hereditary leader whose powers range from nominal (see current UK monarchy) to absolute (see old UK monarchy).  Not limited to Europe at all (Japanese emperors, Hawaiian rulers, etc.--all monarchies).  Sure the term is English, but so is the term "chief."  If your chiefs are hereditary, you have a monarchy.

Buffaloheart

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 01:18:13 pm »
Sure the term is English, but so is the term "chief."  If your chiefs are hereditary, you have a monarchy.
[/quote]

Buffaloheart writes:

Monarchy is one of the oldest forms of government, with echoes in the leadership of tribal chiefs, but we prefer the term chief over monarchy. Monarchy does not ring true for describing the government of Native American tribes. It brings up images of Europeon royalty. Just as some Cherokee people take exception to the term princess; we take feel the same way when you attempt to describe us as a monarchy. When I spent time in the South Pacific I did not hear the Islanders referring to their chief as the monarch.  Additionally, an absolute monarchy is somewhat associated with despotism, whereas we have a constitution and a council of elders. I just think your choice of terms when describing Native Americans could be better. Again I wish you luck.

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:24 pm »
just wondering BH you going to ignore all the other questions asked or are you just pretend they questions was not asked at all

Buffaloheart

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2007, 01:43:06 am »
Most the time when i post i get right to the point it may sound at times i am hatefull or trying to be mean to the person ,but im not i just like getting right to the point.
Thank you with answering most questions  with definitions of the title or term,i think most people ejukated enough to know what the word means.
[/quote]

Buffalo writes:

Your questions are cynical and facetious.  You are an intelligent man, so stop masquerading as a bumpkin. We are done.

Blessings from Creator 

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 02:54:41 am »
Thats fine what you think of me and my questions everyone has there opinion.
But would you please answer some of the questions that have been asked.......

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2007, 03:25:15 am »
Thats an impressive family history BH

http://home.comcast.net/~metisheart/

weheli

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:07 am »
Lostcherokee 'siyo dohitsu oginali,
I am Cherokee from Ky. I know my lineage and am very much educated in traditions,culture, government and cerimonies of my People.

Questions:
What is ment by Contemporary Cherokee?
Since when do Cherokee have swet lodges?
Do you believe in all the nonsense publised in Mooneys book? Costumes
The "governmental practice of appointing chiefs, clan mothers/clans, medicine people, ect. How do you go about this? As far as I have read it is much like other Internet "Cherokee Tribes".
How are the women treated and where is there stance in decision making?
What are your Cherokee Spiritual beliefs?
Do you know what is the most sacred item is for the Cherokee.
Do you know the sacred herbs?
What are the color of our 4 directions?
Are you a internet "Tribe"

These are just basic information for people who want to be a state recognized tribe. These are not even the hard ones.
Simple questions you should know the answer to.
I come in respect to gather information before I form my own opinion ,and out of respect for an Elderly woman, NOT AN ELDER, there is a difference, I ask you these questions.
                                                                   Wado Weheli

Buffaloheart

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 04:33:13 am »
Thats fine what you think of me and my questions everyone has there opinion.
But would you please answer some of the questions that have been asked.......

The Little Boy And The Rattlesnake

A Cherokee Legend
The little boy was walking down a path and he came across a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." The little boy thought about it and finally picked up that rattlesnake and took it close to his chest and carried it up to the top of the mountain.
They sat there and watched the sunset together. It was so beautiful. Then after sunset the rattlesnake turned to the little boy and asked, "Can I go home now? I am tired, and I am old." The little boy picked up the rattlesnake and again took it to his chest and held it tightly and safely. He came all the way down the mountain holding the snake carefully and took it to his home to give him some food and a place to sleep. The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." The little boy felt he had been safe all this time and the snake had kept his word, so he would take it home as asked.
He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 07:48:49 pm »
Sure the term is English, but so is the term "chief."  If your chiefs are hereditary, you have a monarchy.

Buffaloheart writes:

Monarchy is one of the oldest forms of government, with echoes in the leadership of tribal chiefs, but we prefer the term chief over monarchy. Monarchy does not ring true for describing the government of Native American tribes. It brings up images of Europeon royalty. Just as some Cherokee people take exception to the term princess; we take feel the same way when you attempt to describe us as a monarchy. When I spent time in the South Pacific I did not hear the Islanders referring to their chief as the monarch.  Additionally, an absolute monarchy is somewhat associated with despotism, whereas we have a constitution and a council of elders. I just think your choice of terms when describing Native Americans could be better. Again I wish you luck.
[/quote]

Hereditary chiefs are by far the exception today, not a norm, in American Indian societies.  I can't think of any federally recognized tribe with hereditary chiefs, and even state recognized Cherokee tribes that I know of have elected governments .  That's why I'm puzzled that your tribe would choose monarchy, hereditary chiefs, whatever you call it. 

Do you have an oral history as to why this was done? 

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 07:53:36 pm »
Thats an impressive family history BH

http://home.comcast.net/~metisheart/

Somehow I don't think Metis people would take too kindly to buffalo heart's (mis)use of their name!

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2007, 11:04:50 pm »
I don't think so either, NMC. But I will let Ric speak to that.

Some of the tribes here in the Pacific Northwest have hereditary chiefs. It's more common in Canada, along the coast, and in Alaska.