Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if this is a true charity  (Read 6090 times)

Offline mysticknt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Can anyone tell me if this is a true charity
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:09:32 pm »
http://www.wambliho.homestead.com/

it was sent to us by the same person who wants us to book Wa-Na-Nee-Che to do a workshop, i have bad feelings for the gentleman not sure if he genuine or not but he returning to the states

quote from a message we recieved
I have just spoken to Wa na nee chi, at the request of your gracious
host ****** and he has agreed to do either a sweat lodge or a
workshop for you guys. The minimum number for the workshop is 16 and
he charges £15 per person. Sweat Lodge location to be arranged at a
later date but I have asked initially for a workshop.

Please liase with ******* if you wish this to be a reality and I
thank all on the list for the interest in genuine Lakota Sioux
Native American Traditions. I am only too pleased to be of service
to pagan/heathen folks. Wana nee chi is going back to the USA from
the 8th June to the 5th July to search and bring back more tribal
medicines.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: Can anyone tell me if this is a true charity
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:31:38 am »
he charges £15 per person.

You have your answer right there.

Please read this page:

http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/nafps/articles/art21.htm

Again, glad to have you aboard.

Offline Pepper

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 02:01:55 pm »
You don't pay to pray !  My family Elders are often invited to speak ( at various gatherings & universities).  As invited guests, their expenses are taken care of. People have expressed an interest in learning about the Lakota, and they have been invited to our homes to listen to our Elders speak about traditions, history, ceremony, etc.  They are not charged a fee for this...they are our guests !

As for ceremony ( in this case Inipi - what you refer to as sweat lodge)...a fee is never charged.  Someone makes an offering for the ceremony (tobacco, cornmeal), and states the intent (gratitude,healing, general prayers for the people, etc).  The "pourer" does not get paid to do this.  Everyone is fed, and if the pourer has incurred expenses, the "hat is passed " for those who want to help with travel costs (gas, tolls, etc).  If the pourer needs to stay overnight, someone opens their home.

Simply put.....don't pay to pray...don't pay to be taught.  Hope this helps.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 02:10:22 pm »
Excellant advice, Peppe! Wish more people would follow it!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by debbieredbear »

jim tree

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:22:13 pm »
I do not know about this wa-na-nee-che, sounds like anouther con artist and what Pepper said is right on the money.
I do know the folks at wambliho and the leader, David Swallow Jr. Here is another delema with a full blood. David is part of a line of ligiit Med men of the Lakota. He was raised and trained and recognised as one.
I have had occasion to be in sweats and ceremony with him when I lived in Colorado and watched him change in several areas over the years. When I first met him he had no respect for whites and would not do ceremony with them. He was actually pretty agresive about it, I believe he was with aim at wounded knee and wounded there, but not sure.
As time went by he softened towards non lakota and begain to travel around and doing sweats and yiwipi ceremonies and runs a sundance.
All I have seen him do is very traditional, however, about 6 years ago he begain to mention money to cover his expenses, etc. I have not been around him since then but have heard of him being accused of selling ceremony. I do not know if that is true, but I do know he is a traditional and trained in the old way to serve the people as a Med. man.
In this he is not a fraud. Maybe someone has more recent info about the selling of ceremony or other activities that would put him in the fraud catagory.
That is all I know about him and wambliho, I can only say what I have experianced.
Tree

Offline Pepper

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 04:03:28 pm »
Some info about David

www.ar-t.org ? web site for an artist Hada. David's photo is here. Seems he put this guy on the hill for Hanbleceya. This guy was born Edwin Potts...now goes by "Walks the Spiritual Path of Bear". ? Is a Sidha (yogi flyer) whatever that is ! ? He is also "carrier of the sacred pipe, and a staff carrier. ? Speaks volumes if you judge people by the company they keep.

Here are 2 articles from Indian Country Today (The Lakota Times) from 1997...well worth a read. ? Seems to have had problems with the Oglala...restrainig orders...to see

http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/articles/art00089.htm

http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/articles/art00091.htm

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by Pepper »

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:03:55 am »
this sight was deleted
so much for truth in advertising

http://www.wambliho.homestead.com/