Author Topic: Statement from Zoi Lightfoot - Director of Legal Affairs Treaty House UK  (Read 137808 times)

Offline zoi lightfoot

Re: Statement from Zoi Lightfoot - Director of Legal Affairs Treaty House UK
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 02:23:24 pm »
Actualy the only folks who have been throwing my name around and promoting it are YOU and MP.What i see is a lot of gossip,back biting and bad jacketing.Your personal agenda is showing,were i to listen to internet gossip and trawl for negative commentary,what would i find about you and MP,aka PJ Morgan plus the many other alias' MP uses?First would be the notion you and MP,hell even AL are one and the same person.Do i beleive that? NOT unless someone proves it nope.Next would be the accusation that MP is in fact a male child abuser.Do I believe that also?Once again not until some one proves it.BASIC legal principle that applies to everyone BLS926,you MP,Tsissy myself AL in fact every human on this planet.
Also in this thread is the notion the Mikmaq do not have Grand Chiefs,incorrect careful what you wish for on your disruptive quest MP.If you undermine the gathering then i will most certainly let the very Elders,Chiefs,spokespeople,inclusive of the entire cast of my lifes a sundance,know where to send the bill for thier disrupted travel arrangements.Plus a great many other things attatched to this gathering.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 03:34:25 pm »
Actualy the only folks who have been throwing my name around and promoting it are YOU and MP.What i see is a lot of gossip,back biting and bad jacketing.Your personal agenda is showing,were i to listen to internet gossip and trawl for negative commentary,what would i find about you and MP,aka PJ Morgan plus the many other alias' MP uses?First would be the notion you and MP,hell even AL are one and the same person.Do i beleive that? NOT unless someone proves it nope.Next would be the accusation that MP is in fact a male child abuser.Do I believe that also?Once again not until some one proves it.BASIC legal principle that applies to everyone BLS926,you MP,Tsissy myself AL in fact every human on this planet.
Also in this thread is the notion the Mikmaq do not have Grand Chiefs,incorrect careful what you wish for on your disruptive quest MP.If you undermine the gathering then i will most certainly let the very Elders,Chiefs,spokespeople,inclusive of the entire cast of my lifes a sundance,know where to send the bill for thier disrupted travel arrangements.Plus a great many other things attatched to this gathering.

Oh my I was wondering when someone who didn't like being asked reasonable questions would accuse me of being a perverted porcupine. LOL You must be getting really desperate to resort to such silly accusations. Why not just provide some credible references ?

I think people know the Mi'kmaq traditionally have a Grand Cheif. In 2006 it looks like this was Ben Sylliboy

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:apVW2X7_mfwJ:209.162.178.242/documents/MMAHB
%2520Committee%2520Membership.pdf+%22Grand+Chief+%22+Mi%27kmaq&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd
=29&gl=ca

Membership
Mi’kmaq & Maliseet Atlantic Health Board (MMAHB)
&
Atlantic Health Committees

Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy
Waycobah
Nova Scotia Grand Council

I'm not sure why Zoi refered to Gary Metalic as being a Grand Chief in the thread below.
Does he now hold the position of Grand Chief?

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1753.0
Declaration of Nationhood
zoi lightfoot
Reply #4
Gary Metalic,for the benifit of those that do not know,is one of the recognised Grand Chiefs of the Mi'kmaq peoples

And incidentally this questionable "Declaration of Nationhood " was originally posted in research needed.  It seems Frederica was persuaded to move it out of sight by tacking it onto a thread on a different topic.

The only thing reasonable questions disrupt is lies Zoi. I really don't appreciate the repeated threats and bullying I have run into in trying to communicate with members of your group. If this is what people run into when trying to find out if your group is legit it raises some very real concerns. If the funding for your projects fails because you refuse to give the public a way to verify that you are who you say you are, that is your problem not mine. If you are who you say you are,  and if you have the backing you say you do , it is entirely your responsibility to provide ways for the public to verify this.

Maybe it hasn't occured to you, but its seems kind of racist to imagine it's OK to claim to be an embassy , consuler facility , or to claim to be the Consular Director of Canadian Affairs or legal representitive of such an organization without feeling any obligation to provide references to the tribal governments that would need to appoint you to these very important positions. It seem like you think that while other Nations have real embassies , appointed by real governments , if it's an embassy which supposedly represents indigenous peoples,  it's OK for anyone who wants a fancy title to just invent one- with no references -  as a toy.       

We all make mistakes - especially without a community of native people to keep ex pat members on track - and if people are being truthful about who they are , I don't think anyone would be concerned if they were creating some kind of a support group for real native people in Europe and the UK. But the language and titles being used seem to be really misleading and these grandious claims with nothing of substance behind them really does trivialize the identities of real First Nations and tribal governments. I don't see where this kind of "education about NDNs" is going to help indigenous Nations gain recognition and respect in the international community 

I really hope those of you with good intentions and / or real descent from indigenous communities will give your head a shake, as it appears you are exploiting a part of your own heritage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:51:24 pm by Moma_porcupine »

frederica

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 03:52:52 pm »
"How can anyone take Zoi Lightfood or the Treaty House seriously"                                                                                                         I don't see anything wrong with their idea of what they are trying to do.  I believe they said it was a "new organization" so they will have to work some things out.  People have a tendency to generalize conversations.  the problem seems to be not who they are, but some they represent.  They have to work that out.  There are some Abenaki that exsist, they just do not meet Federal criteria for recognation.  That State doesn't have a criteria which poses a problem.  To me "Treaty House" is just a name someone picked.  And there is a lot I do not know on how people are "represented".  Zoi, as a lawyer, is going to represent people that ask her to do so.  Noone knows what that encompasses, or where she draws the line.  So you have to leave it at that.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:38 pm »
Frederica , I'm not sure why you appear to have repeatedly defended both Tsisqua and Zoi / Treaty House with what appears to be incorrect information. As part of this has occured in PMs I guess I will have to try and straighten this out through PMs.

Meanwhile , from my point of view , you , as the moderator of an anti fraud board has just said you don't see anything wrong with people using language that suggests they represent a tribal government while providing no way to verify this . You also seem to be suggesting that you see nothing wrong with threatening people who ask reasonable questions ,  and with absolutely no evidence , to suggest people are child mollestors if they dare ask for a way to verify these claims .

I appreciate that being a moderator here must be a really difficult job and I'm sure if I was in your position I would make lots of mistakes - and probably bigger ones than you do , as I tend to have a much bigger mouth . But still , I'm really sorry to say this , but I think there is a problem when you say you don't see anything wrong with this.

You seem to be defending behavior which clearly should not be defended and I would like to know why.  As I say I will send you a PM and hopefully we can come to some sort of understanding.

frederica

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:56 pm »
No, I not defending anyone.  But it always becomes personal with these issues and I think that is what should be avoided.  Facts are one thing, the gossip and innuendos are something else. I don't think anyone is "squeaky clean", whether it be by the people you associate with, know or something else.   It starts and immediately gets personal. To me it's just bait, to keep it going.  And it's on both sides. The site is for people to make up their own mind, when present with substantial facts.  The rest doesn't belong.  And I don't think any one person is less guilty than the other with their presentations. I can pick both of them apart.

Offline ska

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 08:27:09 pm »
Now I'm very concerned.  Ms. Lightfoot, you have chosen to ignore my questions, too, but maybe since I am not Native, you do not feel you need to address my concerns.  Fair enough.

The unsubstantiated and malicious accusations are horrible.  Some of the anonymous members here cannot claim to be maligned by these insults, but what about Dr. Carrall, who is open about his identity and just got slimed and accused of heinous crimes on the basis of your guilty-by-assumed-association public mud-slinging?  Please don't equate your ugly attempt to create gossip with people's legitimate questions about a so-called "consulate" that no-one can verify.

I also don't understand why asking questions about "Treaty House" is akin to "bad-jacketing".  Openly declaring one's professional status does come with responsibilities.   But how does asking questions about "Treaty House" threaten a gathering?  What do you mean by "the entire cast of my life is a sun dance"?  Are you staging a dramatic show about Leonard Pelletier's life?  Do the performers/attendees think you are an ambassador or that you have a formal diplomatic role as a liaison between Indigenous Nations and the UN?  And if you do, why can't you tell us about it?  Is is top-secret? 

What does "careful what you wish for" mean, or is it part of this vague threat that I can't understand? 

Ms. Lightfoot, not too long ago, a young man came to this board claiming to be the king of the "Oyate Makoce Sioux" or some such nonsense.  So you can see that there are many fraudulent and deluded types out there who think they can say anything about Native people and, perhaps even more seriously, about Native NATIONS.  For those of us Settlers who care about  decolonizing our colonial existence and healing ourselves of genocidal cultural practices, the issues raised by people like Moma Porcupine and others are terribly important.

As a Western academic, I've cultivated a fair bit of skepticism.  And since I'm anonymous, it might be a good idea for you to assume this is not true.  Similarly, without verification,  I highly doubt that "Treaty House" is actually an embassy or consulate, or that it has the authority of any federally recognized Indian Nation or of any Treaty Council that reflects the sovereign Indian Nations.  To me, the embassy at "Treaty House" sounds about as legitimate as Russell Means' declaration of the "Republic of Lakotah".

Ms. Lightfoot, I have no evidence that you are qualified to give legal advice, but on the matter of "Treaty House", I will quote your wisdom: "do I believe that? Not until someone proves it. BASIC legal principle".

best, ska

Offline bls926

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2008, 04:55:07 am »
As a Western academic, I've cultivated a fair bit of skepticism.  And since I'm anonymous, it might be a good idea for you to assume this is not true.  Similarly, without verification,  I highly doubt that "Treaty House" is actually an embassy or consulate, or that it has the authority of any federally recognized Indian Nation or of any Treaty Council that reflects the sovereign Indian Nations.  To me, the embassy at "Treaty House" sounds about as legitimate as Russell Means' declaration of the "Republic of Lakotah".

Actually, Russell Means' declaration of the Republic of Lakotah is far more legitimate than Treaty House. Means is Lakota. I have a feeling Zoi Lightfoot is another PODIA portraying something entirely different to those she comes in contact with. No different than Tsisqua.

I have a problem with someone pretending to be something or someone they aren't. When those with little to no blood try to speak for the Nations, everyone loses. I'm not saying she or anyone else in a similar situation can't help with the problems, they just can't speak for the people.

Note to Zoi: I'm not anonymous on this or any other forum. I don't think there's anyone who thinks Moma, Al, and I are the same person. Get real. That statement, along with your empty threats and everything else in your last post, was so junior high. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really an attorney. Fact is, I've had my doubts for months now. Not Indian and not a lawyer. Damn.

Edit to correct spelling. Damn OCD.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:30:04 am by bls926 »

Offline bls926

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 12:07:32 am »

When I read this post the other night, I thought it sounded vaguely familiar. Just realized where I've seen this drivel before. John Martin/John Lekay. Why is it frauds always quote other frauds? Hmmmmm

Offline zoi lightfoot

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »
bls926,I suggest you READ very carefully exactly what i did or did not say.
MP,I did NOT say "YOU" had said Mikmaq Grand Chiefs didn't exist far from it,but i am pleased to see you acknowledge Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy,I beleive his niece,a recognised teacher of Mikmaq language and traditional heritage is also a member on this forum,the reason i mention this is because her BLOOD sister and also niece to Ben Sylliboy,is the very same colleague of mine you informed an established and respected human rights organisation,you had done a genological web search on and determined her to be a PODIA.
Now while you were playing,we returned one fake to canada,another is having legal actions brought against them,and another was halted,from committing acts of monitary fraud on a Barriere Lake Elder,MNN the Mikmaq and ourselves.Not to mention the Billingtons are still behaving like a pair of abusive racists.ALL those peoples are subjects who have come up in NAFPS threads.
In addition we have various land issues lodged and under appeal and Leonards clemancy is in full swing.AGAIN.and a whole host of other matters.If you want to play with me then i sugesst you have patience until i have nothing better to be doing with my time.
BLS926,My Space huh?,what makes you think its the only site Treaty House has?.
You were so wrapped up in personal attack,you didn't read what i said,and you actualy proved the point i WAS making.Wondered when the spector of this lekay person would surface and there you go making assumptions again bls.I do not know him,all i know is the he said she said of it all everyone including YOU keep repeating.As for my friends defending me,I can defend myself thanks,but then isn't that a bit like pot,kettle and black type of thing?.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »
Zoi , the only comment about Linda Lou that I sent to a "respected human rights organization " is this ;

Linda Lou Flewin was adopted by an English family when she was a baby
and raised in England. She claims she is Mi'kmaq and sometimes refers
to herself as a representive the Mi'kmaq Nation . Her genealogy is
partially posted on line and it looks like she may have some Native
descent a couple generations back there , but I doubt a person with
such a remote connection to a tribe would be asked to officially
represent of the Mi'kmaq Nation abroad.

I have no idea why you would suggest there is any problem with that. Once again it seems you are trying to divert from the main issues.

I have no wish to pick Linda apart because through no fault of her own , she is just learning about her culture. I could point to stuff she posted only 5 years ago on other message boards which demonstrates this, but I haven't done this as Linda Lou's BQ , enrollment or lack of it , personality and private life are kind of beside the point .

What isn't beside the point is the fancy title suggesting she officially represents her Nation to the international community , and trying to intimidate people who ask for a way to verify this.

Are you suggesting Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy has approved Treaty House as an embassy / consuler facility ? If so why didn't you say so a long time ago? If no tribal government has approved this , it doesn't matters what blood relations you two claim. Except to the uninformed it makes you sound important and possibly credible.

Anyway , thanks for a name and what may be a reference. This can be checked.

As for you tooting your own horn about the real fruit loops you like to make a big show of confronting consider this;

The only way indigenous people can control their own resources and this includes their right to control their culture is if their identity and system of government is intact. Claiming PODIAs and extremely distant descendents as Nations effectively undermines respect for and recognition of true tribal nations and governments. Claiming to be concerned about the damage done to Native soverienty by going after obviously flakey people while promoting and defending PODIAs claiming to be Nations is about the same as making a big show of building the wall to a house while handing out the rocks that are the foundation.

The issue i am addressing here seems to me to be extremely important.

You claim to oppose frauds. So here is another question . If people making claims to some affiliation with a Nation or endorsement by Elders are a fraud , and if the general unwashed European public cannot ask and expect verifiable refferences from these people , for fear of insulting someone as important as you all claim to be , how can any European avoid supporting frauds and exploiters and also avoid insulting someone who is very very important ? It seems to me that while you make a big show of being concerned about frauds you are destroying the only mechanism people have to expose them, namely the right to ask questions, expect answers and not be harrassed for this.

I certainly see you feeling you have a right to demand some people produce proof of the claims they make of having ties to Nations. If you want people to accept that you can do this,  but the general public can't,  it would appear you are planning on setting yourselves up over there as the only reference - with none yourselves.

There is some big problems with that.  You have already demonstrated a willingness to support frauds. Even if you all prove you are all enrolled somewhere if you are claiming to represent a Nation in some way , easily verifiable references ARE needed. Just because someone is an American doesn't mean they can start up an embassy somewhere.  Anyone with a personal agenda could make the claims you do. Easily verifiable references within some tribal governments are needed ,  or it would just be a chaotic free for all.

THAT is what you seem to be currently promoting.     
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:51:33 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:04 pm »
zoi lightfoot
Reply #56
i am pleased to see you acknowledge Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy,I beleive his niece,a recognised teacher of Mikmaq language and traditional heritage is also a member on this forum,the reason i mention this is because her BLOOD sister and also niece to Ben Sylliboy,is the very same colleague of mine you informed an established and respected human rights organisation,you had done a genological web search on and determined her to be a PODIA.

I don't like to get into someones personal history but as claims that Linda is closely related to important people in the Mi'kmaq Nation is being used to legitimize Treaty House ,  i guess pointing out that it is hard to see how these claims might be true is something that needs to be done.   

I know there is a Mi'kmaq woman who briefly was a NAFPS member who refers to Linda Lou as " Big Sis" . From the link to her website in her profile, and many pictures of community and family posted there , i am pretty sure she is  Mi'kmaq . I guess this relationship might be one of blood as claimed or an adoption that was made when Linda Lou was an adult. Seeing Linda accepted as family by people in the Mi'kmaq community I was always willing to take Linda Lou's word her having a connection there of some kind.

But I'm not sure how Linda Lou's family might connect to the family of Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy.

Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy's parents were Nancy(Denny)(Nevin)Sylliboy and William Ben Sylliboy

http://wekoqmaq.piczo.com/mtilnjesistoweypageroots?cr=6&linkvar=000044

This is William Ben Sylliboy,born in 1902,married Nancy(Denny)Nevin whom she had one child from a previous marriage,
This is Nancy(Denny)(Nevin)Sylliboy on the left and the picture on the above is Nancy with daughter Mary Ellen

These three children are also Nancy's children with William,The late Theresa Cremo,Margaret Poulette,And our GrandChief Ben W. Sylliboy and it goes on and on through your memory and knowledge.

Below is some detailed genealogical information on Linda Lou's birth family

http://web.archive.org/web/20040829031022/http://www.bodhipines.com/cgi-bin/sixnations/
dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_records=1&RecordNumber=*&nh=8

---------
edited to make this link work
http://tinyurl.com/7qbklr

-------------------------
RecordNumber: 86
GenderOfAdoptee: Female
TriadPosition: Adoptee
InSearchOf: BirthFather
BirthMonth: 09
BirthDay: 22
BirthYear: 58
BirthCity: Wolfeville
BirthState/Province: Nova Scotia
BirthCountry: Canada
AdoptiveName: Linda Lou Hooper
Birth1stName: Linda Lou
BirthSurname: Messom
BirthMotherName: Edith Daisy Parker nee Messom

BirthFatherName: n/a
Hospital: Wolfeville
Agency: Kentville Social Services
MaternityHome: n/a
YourName: Linda Lou Flewin
Comments: My bio-mother passed away 2 years ago February and said my father was working at Greenwood Base in Kentville but he originally came from New Brunswick which was where she met him. He went blind so had to retire from the Army/navy base at Greenwood. His wife came from New Brunswick to pick him up and take him back home and I and my sister were taken away from my mother by social services in October 1959 and put into care. I was formally adopted in 1960 and my sister Francis Marie in 1961/62....my mother said he was Iroquois and my uncle said he thought the surname was ROI/ROY and he spoke French.Not sure how accurate any of this is but help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks.......
EmailAddress: Linda_louflewin@hotmail.com
AlternateEmail:
WebPageURL:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub/message/6683
Linda Lou AKA Miqamaq
Hi Brenda,I am curious, Your surname is Parker(gee obviously she
says..lol!!)well, I am adopted and my mother said my fathers name was Parker,
where do you come from, I am from Nova Scotia,but I believe my father came from
New Brunswick. We may be related.
Regards....Linda Lou

http://www.thunderers.com/Tomahawky/WC/not%20knowing%20who%20you%20are%20-%20www_ezboard_com

Miqamaq AKA Linda Lou
10/1/02 9:39 am
the first thing I saw was a name....Chief Bernie Parker, why wierd???? Well, my mother was married to a guy called Parker...I don't know his first name but she always said he was Iroquois before she passed away. Who is this guy, how can I find out more, I know when she was with him but I don't know if she actually got married although she was known as Mrs Parker.......OK, it won't be Chief Bernie but some relation perhaps????????

refering to her Mom having been in the residential school at Shubenacadie

Miqamaq AKA Linda Lou
(10/8/02 3:09 am )
Yeah, read this book and made me sick to my stomache, my mom was there until she was 21, then they let her go.

Miqamaq AKA Linda Lou refering to her Mom.
She had six of us all with different fathers, all apart from 1 who died a few months old were taken away from her.

So, Linda Lou's Dad was not Mi'kmaq and it is through her Mom that she is claiming blood ties to the Mi'kmaq community. If she has a blood sister or is the niece of the Grand Chief through blood family , the connection must be through her Mom not her Dad.

Linda Lou has posted quite detailed genealogy of her Mom in various places. The email in this post below is Miqamaq so it appears to be the same Linda Lou.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nsannapo/queries7.html

Q27
08 Oct 2003
Subject: Looking for Parents of Lavinia Ann"Hannah" Butler

Hannah Butler was my great grandmother and her parents were Benjamin J Butler - born 01/11/1829 and Mary Elizabeth Mcginnes born 12/08/1825. I believe they came from the Blue Mountain area - I have seen a picture of Hannah as she was known - she is of very dark complexion, wondered if from Indian stock. Hannah married Jonathon Elijah Walsh in 06/09 /1880.

My grandmother Jennifer Elizabeth "Jennie" Walsh married James Messom(born abt 1895) James Messom is the mistery- I cannot trace his family back further than him, he either came from Blue Mountain or Gaspereau, he worked and lived in Gaspereau most of his life but before that - is a big question. If anyone can help me out with that one as well that would be great.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub/message/6628
Linda Lou AKA Miqamaq
Hi Guys, hope you can help me, am looking for Messoms in New Brunswick,Nova
Scotia and Natick,MA....trying to find a connection with my grandfather Jim
Messom who lived and died in Gaspereau, Annapolis Nova
Scotia
....Lightfoots,Harvie's are also involved but later on sometime...any help
getting started would be appreciated.
In order for Linda Lou to be the niece by blood of Grand Chief Ben Sylliboy it seems he would have to share at least one of the same parents as Linda Lous Mom. In other words, Jennie Walsh or James Messom would have to be one of his parents. They aren't.
========================
edited to provide more complete and accurate information

The automated 1901 Census records in the 2 links below show Linda Lou's grandfather James or Jim Messom ( Jr.) born about 1900 was the son of James Messom (Sr ) born about 1861 and his wife May b.June 21 1867 . Lewis Messom born 1870 is living next door. Baby James Messom jr is recorded as having an older sister Rachel born Sept 1 1895.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=4527&highlight=50&desc=1901+Census+
of+Canada+page+containing+James+Messom

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=4528&highlight=5&desc=1901+Census+of
+Canada+page+containing+James+Messom

Doing a search on the 1881 census which is online through the LDS shows James Senior born 1863 and brother Lewis born 1870 were the sons of William Messom and Lavinia.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

In the 1881 census the Messom family was recorded as English.

The Messom family appears to have lived in this area of NS for several generations .

In the link below the 1838 Census of Horton Township Kings County, N.S.  lists Isaac , William and James Messom.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nskings/1838h-n-horton.html

In the link below Linda Lou says she is related to the Morines .

http://genforum.genealogy.com/morine/messages/44.html

Posted by: Linda Flewin (ID *****1726)    Date: December 29, 2006 at 06:17:05
In Reply to: Re: Morines in Kings Co NS by G MORINE    of 49

Hi, I too am related to the Morine family down through my gr grandmothers and gr grandfathers line in Gaspereau NS. But we are Welsh/Walsh and Messoms!

In the link below William Messom's wife Lavinia is identified as being Lavinia Morine.

In the 1901 census James Messom Senior is shown to have married "May" who was born June 21 1867.

This is probably the "Mary Morrine" is refered to in the link below as being the wife of James Messom and mother of Rachel Messom who married Harry Walsh (son of John and Hannah), and brother of Linda Lou's grandmother Jennie Walsh . Rachel is listed in 1901 census above as one of the children of James Messom and May ( probably Mary Morine ) If May / Mary's maiden name is Morine this also fits with Linda Lou's statement above that she has Morine's through her great grandmother and great grandfather's lines .

The census information about the Messom family in the link below is said to be 1891 . This is a typo . It is the 1881 census.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nscumber/message/22715

I went through all the Messom’s I have and thus far have Oscar Farris (sonof Charles and Georgina (Stevens) Farris married to Mary Blanche Messom(daughter of William and Lavinia (Morine) Messom And Rachel Messom daughter of James and Mary (Morine) Messom married to Harry Walsh (son of John and Hannah)

The only Mary Morine of the right age I can find in the 1881 census is recorded as the 15 year old daughter of Samuel Morine and Elizabeth of Canning, Kings Co., Nova Scotia. The family is all recorded as English.

Other people in that area with that surname are recorded as French, Irish and German.

I didn't see any people surnamed Morine recorded as living in the recognizable Native communites in the area. 

I did find this though ....

http://www.danielnpaul.com/Mi'kmaqBurialGround.html.

In 1808-1809- Paul Malti was the Chief of the Mi’kmaq residing on a reserve on Foster’s Point, Queens County. Ella Letson states: “He was a great friend of my grandfather Asa Morine.

So some freindships existed. But I wasn't able to find any evidence of blood relations.

Jennie Walsh who was Linda Lou's Mom's Mom was born about 1900 and died February 28, 1996. Jennie was the daughter of Jonathen Walsh and Hannah Butler. 

In the 1901 automated census in the link below shows Jonathen Welsh b Jan 25 1856 and his wife Hannah Butler born Aug 12 1856 and their one year old daughter Jennie , who later became Linda Lou's Grandmother and Jennie's older brother Harry who was born in 1892 and who is said to have later married Rachel messom the daughter of James Messom ( senior ) and Mary Morine.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=4521&highlight=20&desc=1901+Census+of
+Canada+page+containing+Hannah+Welsh

Jonathon Walsh / Welsh / Welch / Walch  appears to be related to the Elijah , and William Welch . William Welsh was living a couple doors down from Jonathen Walsh in the 1901 census linked to above.

In the 2 pages of the 1911 census linked to below Jonathen, Hannah , their children and Hannah's mother Mary Butler are all living together . 

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=8292&highlight=46&desc=1911+Census+of
+Canada+page+containing+Jonathen+Walsh

Right next door are the families of Elijah b Feb. 1853 and William Walsh b. Aug 27 1845 which strongly suggests these three men are all related.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=8293&highlight=3&desc=1911+Census+of+
Canada+page+containing+Jennie+Walsh

I can't find Jonethan Walsh in the 1881 census , but in that census both William and Elijah were recorded as English.

The Welch / Walsh family looks like it lived in this area for several generations.

The 1838 Horton census Kings County, N.S. lists a Jonathan WELCH , laborer.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nskings/1838o-y-horton.html

This would not be the same Johnathen Walch who was born in 1856 but it is probaly his father, grandfather or uncle. People with this family name had been in the area for some time. The 1765 tax assesment for Kings Co Horton linked to below , lists Joshua and Joshua Jr Walch and James and Wiiliam Welch

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nskings/1765horton2.html

Hannah Butler who married Jonathen Walsh is recorded in the LDS online 1881 census . She was still living with her parents Benjamin and Mary Butler. Benjamin, Mary and their daughter Hannah are all recorded as English.

Both Benjamin and Mary Butler are also recorded in the 1901 automated census.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=4523&highlight=28&desc=1901+Census+of+
Canada+page+containing+Benjamin+Butler

Jennie Walsh passed away in 1996, and her obituary names blood relatives who are still living . None are in the Cape Breton area of NS.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CANADA-OBITS/2005-03/1109860490

The 1871 - 1881 Mi'kmaq census, does show a small number of Mi'kmaq people with this surname living in the Cape Breton area .

http://web.archive.org/web/20070829115832/http://mrc.uccb.ns.ca/census.html

Welsh, Elizabeth, Age 8, Shanty, Education-?, Plaister Cove (Ma'lakawe:j Reserve or nearby)
Welsh, Mary, Age 27, Shanty, Illiterate, Married, Plaister Cove (Ma'lakawe:j Reserve or nearby)
Welsh, Mary Ann, Age 10, Shanty, Education-?, Plaister Cove (Ma'lakawe:j Reserve or nearby)
Welsh, Michael, Age 41, Shanty, Illiterate, Cooper, Married, Plaister Cove (Ma'lakawe:j Reserve or nearby)
Welsh, Thomas, Age 1, Shanty, Plaister Cove (Ma'lakawe:j Reserve or nearby)

Welsh, Tom, Age 11, Shanty, Education-?, Potlotek

I don't see any obvious connection between this Mi'kmaq family and Linda Lou's Walsh/ Welsh family in Gaspereau , which is about 200 miles south of the Native communities of Waycobah and Chapel Island..

I have seen families where the father was recorded as French, English or German , the mother is recorded as Indian and all the children are recorded as being the race of their father, so It's entirely possible someone way back there , on Linda's Mom's side, was mixed blood , but , as far as the obvious goes, everyone on Linda's Mom's side appears to be from the Gaspereau or Horton area of Kings County Nova Scotia and everyone appears to be predominantly English.

If Linda Lou's Mom was put in the Shubenacadie residential school as was claimed, it seems she would have had a substantial amount of Mi'kmaq blood from somewhere, but looking at what Linda Lou has posted about her family background I'm not sure where that could have come in.

As Zoi seems to want to use Linda Lou's blood family to legitimize Treaty House , if I have overlooked this connection  , maybe Zoi Lightfoot will post something giving the full names and bithdates of the ancestors who connect Linda to the Mi'kmaq community so at least this part of these peoples claims can be verified.

Which brings me back to the main point , which is, I doubt anyone with such a distant relationship to the Mi'kmaq community would be selected to officially represent them to the international community , as the title Consular Director for Canadian Affairs for Treaty House suggests. As anyone could make such a claim , it seems to me important that  anyone claiming such a position would be able to provide a way for the public to verify that they are in fact appointed to do this by the Nations they are claiming. 

==================

I was also sent an email someone recieved from the UN . The names and headers have been removed out of respect for some of the people in this chain of inquirey , but if people need to verify that this exists , I can forward this to Al and people could verify it through him.   

Greetings,

I am trying to contact a UN attorney by the name of Zoi Lightfoot from
London who I am told works for Native American rights.  If you could please
provide contact information I would appreciate it.

Regards,
[name removed]

Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:40 AM
To:
[ name removed ]
Subject: Re: Web Query

Greetings from the Public Inquiries Team.

Based on information that we have available, we have no record of any such name in the listing of UN Staff/Personnel.

Thank you for taking the initiative to write to us.

Best regards,

Public Inquiries Unit
Department of Public Information
United Nations
inquiries2@un.org
I guess it's always possible the right person was not asked. If so , Zoi could always provide us with the name of the person to contact in the UN who could verify that she does work there as claimed, 

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1735.msg11716#msg11716
Reply #7
Zoi Lightfoot
i am part of the vast intertribal legal team based at the UN.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:43:54 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2009, 03:14:46 pm »
for someone who refuses any personal info about herself MP is sure busy researching others. What does matter is whether what they have to say about someone is true or not. I can find lots of 4/4 back home who support people who sell ceremonies and sell ceromonies themselves and know plenty of non-natives who are respectful.

Offline bls926

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2009, 03:36:44 am »
for someone who refuses any personal info about herself MP is sure busy researching others. What does matter is whether what they have to say about someone is true or not. I can find lots of 4/4 back home who support people who sell ceremonies and sell ceromonies themselves and know plenty of non-natives who are respectful.

Moma has never promoted herself as a representative of any group of people, nor an ambassador for any Nation. She is not the director of any organization, nor the legal advisor. There's the difference. Zoi Lightfoot has made all these claims, none of which can be substantiated. In fact, her claims to have worked with the U.N. for the past 35 years obviously are false. According to the correspondence from the United Nations Department of Public Information, there is no record of anyone with that name. She claims to be Leonard Peltier's cousin, yet his family members don't know who she is. Those are only two of the many claims Lightfoot has made that either can't be verified or which have been proven false.

Yes, she has been active in Indian rights and in Peltier's cause, and that's to be commended. But, she should have done it as who and what she is. She should not have pretended to be someone or something she isn't. Fraud is still fraud.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2009, 04:53:29 am »
Cetan

First off, being anonymous isn't the same as making claims about myself and how important i am that appear to be untrue. I am careful to provide ways for people to verify what i post and if I ever state something as a fact - about myself or something else- and you feel you need a way to verify this , please let me know.

I don't think people selling ceremonies is the only problem. People claiming to be Chiefs and tribes or otherwise representing themselves as representives of indigenous Nations when they are not, undermines recognition and respect for those who rightfully do occupy these positions. It is this disrespect for true traditional leadership that creates most of the problems and confusion that get discussed here.

Not everyone who misrepresents themself,  is New Age or is selling ceremonies.

For example there is a whole thread on Lawrence Sampson in research needed . I don't think he ever was accused of selling ceremony or being New Age. In fact, he even posed as an activist. Problem being, he doesn't seem to be who he is claiming.

Cetan
I can find lots of 4/4 back home who support people who sell ceremonies and sell ceromonies themselves and know plenty of non-natives who are respectful.

Are you really saying you think it's respectful when people legitimize their claims to an important sounding title and a position of authority, by claiming blood relations with tribal leaders and implying this relationship legitimizes their position ? Do you really think it's respectful to support someone making such a claim - without question - even if none of the facts make this likely to be true ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:19:44 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline bls926

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:24 pm »
RE: Zoi Lightfoot and Treaty House
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:31 AM
To: International Indian Treaty Council
Subject: FW: Zoi Lightfoot and Treaty House

Resending this in case the original was overlooked. Please forward any information you have on Zoi Lightfoot and Treaty House. We need your help.

Thank you,
Bonnie Singleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: alberto@treatycouncil.org
Subject: Zoi Lightfoot and Treaty House
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:27:00 -0600

International Indian Treaty Council
The Redstone Building,
2940 16th Street, Suite 305
San Francisco, CA. 94103-3664.
(415) 641-4482 FAX (415) 641-1298

I am trying to find information about Zoi Lightfoot. The only thing I am sure of is that she lives in England.

She claims to be enrolled with the Mississippi Band of Ojibwe, from the White Earth Reservation. Inquiries have been made, and we are waiting for a reply.

Lightfoot claims to be an attorney working at the United Nations on Indigenous Rights, with over 35 years experience. I have not been able to find anything online connecting Lightfoot with the U.N., in any capacity.

She has claimed to be a member of AIM; however, I have not been able to verify this.

Lightfoot claims to be Leonard Peltier's cousin, although his family says that they do not know her.

Lightfoot and her friends present themselves as representatives to Europe from their respective Nations. Treaty House is supposed to be an American Indian embassy in England, for ex-pats or Indians traveling in Europe. There's no physical location for Treaty House; right now all it is is a myspace. Some of the people she associates with and supports are out-right frauds.

Please forward any information you may have on Lightfoot. Lightfoot refuses to give any references, either professional or private. She may be legitimate, but my gut says otherwise. If she is legit, fine. If she is another fraud, stealing Native American culture, I will help to expose her. If that is the case, not only is she preying on the unsuspecting European community and their love-affair with all things Indian, but is misleading American Indians living in Europe, the very people she says she is helping.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. I hope to hear from you in the very near future.

Bonnie Singleton
613 Malone
Houston, Texas  77007

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:03:06 pm by bls926 »