Author Topic: Hello from Indiana  (Read 3614 times)

Offline MatoSiWin

Hello from Indiana
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:49:03 am »
Hello :)  I moved to Indiana 3 years from Nebraska, and I miss the Native community in Nebraska (there were a LOT of Lakota people there from South Dakota).
I tried meeting some people here in Indy, and had been invited to a "Sundance" ceremony, but I thought it very odd that there would be a Lakota ceremony here in Indiana... and that it seemed to be open to anyone and everyone.  I talked to a few people on the phone and realized that nearly everyone involved were wasichu (spelling?).  So I did some searching and found this site, and I am VERY glad I did.  I was so excited about connecting to some Natives here in Indiana that I nearly overlooked some major red flags.  I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to research these people and provide the information for those of us who have not had the time yet to learn all we need to know about these people.
I am looking to make genuine friends, but that can't happen if people aren't genuine to begin with.  I look forward to "talking" with people on here.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: Hello from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »
Hello and welcome. It's always really good to hear that this forum is helping people.

Offline MatoSiWin

Re: Hello from Indiana
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:51:59 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it would be appropriate to have it here as well, just to give a better idea of me, who I am, why I'm here, etc...

A little about me:
All of my confirmed biological non-Indian grandparents were second generation American immigrations, so aside from my mother's father, my lineage is easy.  1/4 Irish (my dad's mother's parents were from Ireland), 1/4 French (my dad's father's parents were from France).  1/4 Jewish - My mother was adopted by white people, but we do know her biological mother's parents were Jewish immigrants.  I am in the process of filing the paperwork to obtain her adoption records to confirm the identity of her father.  The wife of her adopted mother's brother was a close friend of the biological mother, and told my mother (and later told me) that my mom's biological mother had confided in her that the father was American Indian (she told her he was a Sioux).  But like I said, I am seeking to confirm this.

I never had any Irish people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional Irish food, teach me to speak Irish, tell me about Irish history and the Irish culture.
I never had any French people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional French cuisine, teach me to speak French, tell me about French history and the french culture.
I never had Jewish people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional Jewish food, teach me to speak Hebrew, tell me about Jewish history and the Jewish culture and beliefs.
BUT, I did have several wonderful NDNs (Yankton and Oglala, but not at the same time) take me in, provide me shelter and clothing, feed me (sometimes traditional food, sometimes just ramen noodles and powdered milk... but always enough to keep me from feeling hunger pains), taught me some of the language so I could truly understand the messages they were giving me, taught me about the history and culture of who I have believed to be my grandfather's people since I can remember.

So there you have it.  I'm a "mixed-blood", but was cared for and nurtured primarily by NDNs, so that's who I consider my "family".  Closed adoptions SUCK.