Author Topic: Talking Circles  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Talking Circles
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:24:40 pm »
This is probably a dumb question, but how do people feel about the practice of Talking Circles being used for various purposes,  in non native communities ?

I have never heard any objections to this , and have heard of them used in informal get togethers , treatment programs , support groups , church groups , board meetings , public school classrooms , even Starbucks seems to be hosting these.

http://www.guidinglightsnetwork.com/index.php?p=Starbucks+Talking+Circles%21&s=274

Who influenced you? And how do you pass it on?

These are the two animating questions behind every interview I did for Guiding Lights. 
I discovered, as I traveled from place to place and profession to profession, that the
two questions are simple enough to open up a broad conversation and unusual enough to get people off conversational autopilot.  They allow us – indeed, require us – to examine more closely than we usually do the web of relationship and obligation that holds us all together.

http://www.guidinglightsnetwork.com/?p=Talking+Circle+Basics&s=245

One of the things I notice posting on this board is there seems to be an huge hunger fueling an appetite for all these exploiters and frauds , and I am wondering if a part of this , is an underlying need for interconnected community .

I've been thinking about it , and it seems in in non native culture, there is very few mainstream community activities that encourage honest from the heart communication and sharing in a group , and this is probably essential to a deep sense of being truely interconnected with ones community.

So I am wondering if incorporating Talking Circles into more community based programs could help alleviate that sense of disconnection and build more of a sense of community ?

If so,  are there any dangers, or ways this could be exploited or abused ?

I'd be interested to hear what people think ....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:26:13 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Talking Circles
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:53:30 pm »
I think it a common human need to talk to each other.
We have talking circle with youth groups, people with
abuse problems and to develop a healing process with
communities. I am now seen this in non-native communities.
I am unsure what to think about it.
1. It will help with the process to heal
2. It is human nature to talk to start the healing

I don't see this as an abuse but more as a healing
process for people.
Can it be abuse
Yes!
The talking circle is just that a talking circle
but
if you start with the smugging and
use a feather then you follow into the abuse.
There are requirement
that one has to follow.

In Spirit

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:01:11 pm »
I have used "talking circles" - although I´ve never called them that - in my work for 16 years. Loooong before I knew anything about Native Americans. LOL

I think it is just a natural way of speaking to eachother when you can see everybody´s faces all the time. I guess all cultures used to sit in circles round a fireplace sharing their experiences once upon a time.  So I fully agree with Earth - a talking circle is just a talking circle unless you start using Ndn traditions.

frederica

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:37 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with them. I think they are just more or less something social, but I have never seen one. If they maintained the same people it could be similar to a support group not much more. I think that is why many are drawn to these heritage groups, they are just social clubs, meet once a month and have dinner. But I have ever heard of these being exploited, so it is always possible. I guess it depends on what they do. I was watching a program recently that was saying how narcisstic people are now, that the companies are have to adjust to an entirely different workforce. Put this with the already individuality of these people and you will still have problems. I'm not sure this type of group would be able to deal with the real "needy" ones. And they are the ones that usually get exploited. Overall, they could probably be helpful if directed.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:08:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback , and you all raise some really good points  .

It makes sense that once Native traditions get brought in, it crosses a line ...

It's interesting to hear Talking Circles get used in other parts of the world , and are not always connected with the traditions of North America's indigenous people.

From what I have seen , it seems having a focus to keep things on track , and a facilitator
to create a safe space is helpful  , but when there is a facilitator occupying a position of power , like any position of power that can be abused .

I have seen or heard of instances where a facilitator had an issue with one of the participants , and they made a big drama over everything that participant said , which was really uncomfortable for the participant  .

Another situation I know of , there was an Elder who had a lot of traditional knowledge and good stories - but for some reason , if there was domestic violence or sexual abuse , they would always defend the perpetrator and blame the victim .

People in this Elder's community knew this, and knew to be careful about talking to this Elder about that sort of thing , but then that Elder began facilitating Talking Circles outside their community . I know some people who got involved had lived through some serious abuse , and there was some was deeply confused people when this Elder began suggesting people who talked about incidents of domestic violence and sexual assault were just making this up .

I am thinking Talking Circles that ARENT imitating aspects of Native traditions might be useful in healing and community building , but  I guess it is always a good idea to be careful , and make sure if there is a facilitator , whoever is doing this  is well known in your community and is known to be competant and trustworthy in the areas the Circle will be addressing .

I didn't get the impression the Talking Circle hosted by Starbucks that discusses mentors, was using any Native traditions,  and I thought it sounded like a good way to bring people together, and get them thinking about what's important . 

All these people we keep telling they are barking up the wrong tree , I get wishing we could give some suggestions about what might be the right ones to bark up . So many people looking for something ..

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:27:17 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline Scott Brainard

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:36:49 pm »
The concept of Talking Circles or "roundtables" is pretty widespread across cultures and it by itself probably wouldn't be abuse or appropriation of any kind. 

I agree though that putting things with it like smudging and the use of an eagle feather simulated or real for the focus tool wouldn't be right for non natives to do.

--Scott B.