Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Issues / Re: NAFPS website and forum unavailable
« Last post by Sparks on August 12, 2022, 12:09:55 am »
The domain was recently down for almost a week.

All the time, this was the message: "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE".

I hope you found out what happened, so it can be avoided in the future?
Watching it again I think dozens of the people you see also have threads here at NAFPS. Interesting (and disgusting) to see them 'live'. Also excellent comments, e.g. by Rick Ross, who has been referred to dozens of times here at NAFPS.

Yes, the comments by Rick Ross are particularly interesting as far as why America in particular is a hot bed for hucksters when it comes to so-called religious freedom (which of course wasn't afforded to natives until late 70s). There's a book that I'm interested in reading called Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire that goes more in depth on what's covered in this documentary. It's thesis is that hucksterism is actually the quintessential characteristic of America. https://www.amazon.com/Fantasyland-Kurt-Andersen-audiobook/dp/B07576XJMV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26NCNPBCJ9DZU&keywords=fantasyland&qid=1659721616&sprefix=fantasylan%2Caps%2C421&sr=8-1
Frauds / Re: Michael Harner and The Way of the Shaman
« Last post by fairbanks on August 05, 2022, 04:51:47 pm »
Pretty much the only way Harner's book could be acceptable, I think, would be if he had removed all mention of indigenous rituals, practices and beliefs --  if he had not claimed anything in his book was connected with the spirituality of any indigenous culture -- and if he had written only about the ceremonies he made up himself.

Or maybe the best thing he could have done was to never have written his book.

Even if he had written only about the ceremonies he "made up himself", that would still be problematic, because he didn't just make those ceremonies up by himself - they were appropriated from Indigenous cultures. To then not mention any of that and just pass it off as some sort of Harnerism and never mention his sources of appropriation would be absolutely wrong.

As far as whether he should have just never written the book - what's done is done. I think it's a good example of what not to do, so hopefully people can see that this is not the way to go.
Nice to see this 55 minutes documentary again! I first watched it on national TV in Norway two years ago, where it still can be watched with higher resolution than the YouTube version (if you click in from Norway).

Watching it again I think dozens of the people you see also have threads here at NAFPS. Interesting (and disgusting) to see them 'live'. Also excellent comments, e.g. by Rick Ross, who has been referred to dozens of times here at NAFPS.
Welcome & News / Re: Pretendian — Wikipedia article
« Last post by Sparks on August 05, 2022, 02:32:44 am »
This article has not been mentioned earlier, according to the search function:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretendian

I put it in this thread because it too contains so many names that have their own topics here at NAFPS. Also there are links to Wiki articles about many of them, and to more than a dozen related subjects. Plus a valuable reading list.

Test / testing
« Last post by fairbanks on August 04, 2022, 09:06:59 pm »
testing 1 2 3
Computer Issues / Re: NAFPS website and forum unavailable
« Last post by Sparks on August 04, 2022, 08:31:13 pm »
Erratic behaviour continues. Some of the error messages I received today, using Firefox:

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.newagefraud.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.newagefraud.org. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

I tried another browser (Brave Browser) which told me something like "ERROR — CONNECTION REFUSED".

So I went back to Firefox, and suddenly everything is as usual, for the time being.
Frauds / Re: Rose Cole
« Last post by cellophane on August 04, 2022, 05:19:49 am »
In this photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158381821092119
What wings is she holding? Hawk?

"Colonization":
https://www.facebook.com/RitualityCommunity/photos/a.375436600476/10160234485455477
Our ancestors’ lives were threatened for their gifts.
Today, we carry the remains of that fear.

Because the truth is, your Shamanic Abilities stand in the way of colonization.

Just as your Shamanic Abilities are the greatest tools to heal the collective and all colonization has been imposed on us.
Research Needed / Re: Adama & Naomi Doumbia (The Way of the Elders)
« Last post by Sparks on August 04, 2022, 04:25:34 am »
I have recently started reading The Way of the Elders: West African Spirituality & Tradition, by Adama and Naomi Doumbia.

To pinpoint the book,which was published in 2004:

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Elders-African-Spirituality-Tradition/dp/0738706264
https://www.worldcat.org/title/way-of-the-elders-west-african-spirituality-tradition/oclc/834722978

The way of the elders : West African spirituality & tradition
Author:    Adama Doumbia; Naomi Doumbia
Publisher:    Saint Paul, Minn. Llewellyn Publ. 2004
Edition/Format:     Print book : English : 1. ed., 1 pr
View all editions and formats

Summary:
A rare and authentic look into the spirituality of West Africa, particularly the Mande culture, including fundamental beliefs that permeate tribal life. Original.

Subjects    
    Africa, West -- Social life and customs
    Mandingo (African people) -- Folklore
    Mandingo (African people) -- Religion

Being a reference librarian, it vexes me that it's so difficult to find solid facts about these authors. I think that Naomi Doumbia is better known by another surname. I found a candidate after reading this:

Naomi Doumbia is described as ‘American born and raised’ with a PhD from the California Institute of Integral Studies. […] It looks as if Naomi Doumbia could also be known as Sanderovsky, who is white American and has taught philosophy and comparative religion at various colleges.

Now take a close look at the description of this publication:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/water-spilt-is-a-blessing-west-african-traditional-religion/oclc/213369466

Water spilt is a blessing : West African traditional religion
Author:    Naomi Sonia Sanderovsky; California Institute of Integral Studies.
Publisher:    2003.
Dissertation:    Ph. D. California Institute of Integral Studies 2003
Edition/Format: Thesis/dissertation : Thesis/dissertation : Manuscript  Archival Material : English

Subjects    
    Mandingo (African people) -- Religion.
    Mandingo (African people) -- Rites and ceremonies.
    Ethnophilosophy -- Mali.

So here is my finding: In 2003 Naomi Sonia Sanderovsky receives a Ph.D. from CIIS for a dissertation on 'West African traditional religion'. Next year, 2004, Naomi S.S., using her husband's surname Doumbia, and together with him (Adama Doumbia) publishes a book about the same subject, same geographical area, same people.

So what do you think? (At least it fits exactly with what I quoted from Engkanto.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10