Author Topic: Selling Native American Soul  (Read 8577 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Selling Native American Soul
« on: October 11, 2006, 05:08:35 pm »
Good article here:

Selling Native American Soul

by Jon Magnuson

Jon Magnuson is Lutheran campus pastor at the University of Washington in Seattle and cochair of the Native American Task Force of the Church Council of Greater Seattle. This article appeared in the Christian Century, November 22, 1989, p. 1084. Copyright by the Christian Century Foundation and used by permission. Current articles and subscription information can be found at www.christiancentury.org. This material was prepared for Religion Online by Ted & Winnie Brock.

THe article can be found here:

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=905

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Selling Native American Soul
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:11:55 pm »
i finally read this article..great! especially this part...

Warnings against exploiting Native spirituality are increasingly blunt and direct. Vine Deloria, Jr., a Standing Rock Sioux, attorney and author of Custer Died for Your Sins and God ls Red, was featured in mid-August as a key speaker at the Spirit of Place Conference at San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral. Organizers of the event had for the second consecutive year brought together architects, theologians, geomancers and community activists to explore perceptions of landscape, geography and the meaning of the sacred. Deference was appropriately shown to the Native community on this matter. But it was also apparent that many of the participants had been heavily influenced by popular images and expectations. When Deloria was asked about the popularity of Castenada’s writings, his answer was short and succinct. "Jamake Highwater, Lynn Andrews and Castenada are all of the same genre. Their writing is interesting, but it has nothing to do with Indians." He paused, took a sip of water from a glass, then continued, "It’s about what white people think Indians should be."
that about says it all.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Selling Native American Soul
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:56:20 pm »
Exactly. That is the major reason I posted that article. It is so true. Wish we could have had a few more years with DeLoria.