Author Topic: "Modern Shamanism" Hamilton Souther  (Read 21157 times)

"Modern Shamanism" Hamilton Souther
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »
website

www.modernshamanism.org

Launching October 12th
Modern Shamanism is a place for people to learn to apply fundamental shamanic principles in their everyday lives. Here you will transform your experience from the mundane to the extraordinary, based in the understanding and application of universal truths and the connection to forces which unite us all.
Spirits Soar

google search

------------
2011 NewsletterThese events will be weekend events where Hamilton Souther will share general
information with those interested in Modern Shamanism as well as holding ...
www.bluemorphotours.com/latest-news/july-2011-newsletter.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Modern Shamanism - Info | FacebookAfter a decade of shamanic work and development co-founder Hamilton Souther
brought forth the... idea of the Modern Shamanism tradition to co-founder ...
www.facebook.com/pages/Modern-Shamanism/159340477461227?... - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

Modern Shamanism | FacebookModern Shamanism | Facebook. ... More. Modern Shamanism · Everyone (Top ...
www.facebook.com/pages/Modern-Shamanism/159340477461227 - 152k - Cached - Similar pages

Council of Love with Linda DillonI want to share the Information about the upcoming Modern Shamanism talks in
the United States with Hamilton Souther.Please Don't miss this!! … [Read More. ...
counciloflove.com/ - Similar pages

Blue Morpho Ayahuasca center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaBlue Morpho Ayahuasca center is the largest Ayahuasca shamanism and ...
people of the modern Western world stay for a varying length of time from 4 to 12
days. ... Hamilton Souther, as a center for shamanism 300 kilomters from the city
of ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Morpho_Ayahuasca_center - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Blue Morpho experiences? - Ayahuasca - tribe.netAnyone have any dealings good or bad with Hamilton Souther's Blue ..... travel
time to and from camp and to be in an area that had access to modern support.
..... Energy Work, Guided Shamanic Journeys and Soul Retrieval ...
ayahuasca.tribe.net/.../1d842bd3-e423-4eeb-9c2a-453ef72d4412 - 377k - Cached - Similar pages

News - A general introduction to AyahuascaJourneys to Sacred Realms, documents the shamanic work and ayahuasca ....
Mind', (interview) wrote an interesting piece about modern day ayahuasca
pilgrimage. .... The film also tells the story of Hamilton Souther, who earlier in life
had no ...
www.ayahuasca-info.com/news/ - 70k - Cached - Similar pages

Nature of Mind — A journal about consciousness, buddhism ...Non-duality and Ayahuasca Shamanism. in Buddhism, Entheogens, Spirituality.
My friend Darcy told me about Hamilton Souther, who is now embracing a .... If
this condition doesn't exist in modern psychology, I believe that maybe it should. ...
natureofmind.org/ - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

The Way the Medicine Works | Reality SandwichJan 22, 2010 ... The first challenge for the modern day aya seeker, then, is to navigate a ... On his
recommendation, I booked a nine-day shamanic workshop with Blue ... I'd read
about Blue Morpho's founder and proprietor Hamilton Souther, ...
www.realitysandwich.com/way_medicine_works - 97k - Cached - Similar pages

METAMORPHOSIS - A Documentary on Ayahuasca ShamanismMar 25, 2009 ... Time magazine recently had an article on Ayahuasca Shamanism that features
the protagonist in my film, Hamilton Souther. ...
www.squidoo.com/Ayahuasca_Metamorphosis - 92k - Cached - Similar pages

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: "Modern Shamanism" Hamilton Souther
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:05:02 pm »
There's no shortage of complaints on him. Selling spirchul tourism.

At the first link he describes his training and goals, basically, to peddle the stuff to outsiders. Then there's a long rancorous debate between his devotees and critics.

Some of his devotees, it's appalling what he allows. One has been there ten times. Just once is dangerous and reckless enough.
I've bolded some of the more disturbing parts. On the one hand, at least they are prepared for all kind of dangers. On the other, why the heck would you subject the merely curious, or the desperate to be cured to these dangers, except for money.

---------
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=9453l12187l0l14187l11l11l1l0l0l0l328l2610l0.1.7.2l10l0&nfpr=1&q=cache:2atNCQ2btf0J:http://ayahuasca.tribe.net/thread/1d842bd3-e423-4eeb-9c2a-453ef72d4412+hamilton+souther&ct=clnk

Blue MorphoMon, October 13, 2008 - 2:10 PM
I am Hamilton Souther, owner of Blue Morpho....In 2001, at the age of 23, I was called to an apprenticeship...

I hoped that Blue Morpho would allow me to live a frontier life in the jungle. My dream was to be able to support myself enough to be able to continue learning and living in the jungle. I lived for apprenticeship and the ability to continue participating in diets and ceremonies.

After our first year I knew that Blue Morpho would become a center dedicated solely to shamanism. At the same time I ended apprenticeship with the first shamans I had worked with and began training under the tutelage of Don Alberto Torres Davila. Don Alberto is a Maestro Ayahuasquero, Palero and Sanangero who has over 3,000 ceremonies of experience. He started apprenticing at the age of 8 under the tutelage of his grandfather. He came from a lineage of shamans that extended back to the Lamas people before the arrival of the Spanish. He had not worked with westerners before agreeing to work with us. He had worked as a traditional healer treating people from local communities in and around his home town.

After the first three months of apprenticeship with Alberto, I was accepted by Julio Llerena Pinedo (Maestro Ayahuascquero, Palero and Sanangero) as his apprentice as well. He became my grandfather maestro taking me under his wing as he had done for Alberto 30 years earlier. The two of them guided my apprenticeship, as they had been guided, taking me through diets and ceremonies.

...My maestros guided me with very little verbal discussion about Ayahuasca and apprenticeship. The doctor spirits taught me directly through vision and realization. Ayahausca coursed through every part of my being transforming my mind, body and spirit.

I completed my apprenticeship and was granted the rank of Maestro by Julio in December 2004. Julio was 86 at the time and I was the last shaman to be granted the rank of Maestro by him.

[Note: This means all of his training was only slightly over a year.]

In March of 2006 an article was published about the author Kira Salak’s personally transformational experiences at Blue Morpho in the National Geographic Adventure Magazine. www.nationalgeographic.com/adve....html Soon thereafter, people responded to the article expressing interest in Blue Morpho. We were presented with a challenge that guests wanted to participate in our workshops, not so much interested in the practice of Amazonian shamanism but rather for results. They wanted to transform. They wanted to be positively changed. They wanted to learn and grow. We developed a style that made Ayahusaca and Amazonian shamanism accessible and understandable to those with little or no shamanistic background or experience.

A 9 day workshop includes:

Shamanism

5 Ayahausca ceremonies: Presided over by Maestros, apprentices and trained support staff
• Post ceremony discussions of individual experiences with Questions & Answers
• Question & Answers sessions with the Maestros
• Preparation for Ayahuasca Ceremony presentation
• Collection of Plants for the preparation of Ayahuasca
• Cooking Ayahuasca: You help prepare the Ayahausca that will be used during the week
• Medicinal Plant Walk
• Guided Meditations
• Camalonga Dream Journey
• Incan Fire Ceremony
• Blue Morpho Workbook
• Preparation for leaving Blue Morpho presentation

Jungle Excursions Activities

Camp Layout and Accommodations

• Ceremonial House: All ceremonies and Hammock Lounge (during the day)
• 5 Bungalows: Sleeps 6 with private bedrooms with shared bathroom and living room
• Lake House: Guided Meditations, Yoga and Arts & Crafts
• Lake Gazebo

Meals and Services
• Varied generous menu offering our standard, vegetarian or vegan cuisine
• 24 hour coffee, tea and infusions

Safety
• Registered Nurse at camp
Two emergency vehicles
• Emergency satellite communication system
Anti-Venom
Prescreening of guests to make sure they are medically approved for the experience

Blue Morpho Charity:

Blue Morpho has offered charity from our inception. We have worked with local communities to donate

• Clothing
• School Supplies
• Medical Supplies
• Dental Hygiene Supplies
• Treat locals free of charge

Sincerely,

Hamilton Souther

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: "Modern Shamanism" Hamilton Souther
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »
And at the same link, all the criticism.

-----------
Phony Baloney Shamanism....Big Money, Big SpiritMon, June 9, 2008 - 3:57 AM
I have a hard time relating to the enormous pile of money being required for enlightenment. That really strikes me as phony. In a land where the average monthly salary is $100, and I'm talking about a 60 hour work-week, I find the huge sums being given to these "curanderos" to be outrageous. This is nothing more than greed and self promotion, huge egos and commercialization of an ancient path. All of this is nothing more than relieving naive Gringoes of their dollars. Why don't you try to connect with something a bit more authentic? I mean really, if you just check around while you're there, do the math and figure out what this operation is pulling in. Better yet, ask the locals who work there what kind of money they make, and I think you will find that they are still in the local- translated as long hours, short pay- economy. Better to stay home and find a good televangelist.

Money, Money, Money, MoneyMon, June 9, 2008 - 4:03 AM
Yeah, I guess Hamilton is quite rich by now. Of course, he is supportive, wouldn't you be? Gee whiz, if you were giving me 1000 plus dollars week, I would be "supportive" too. Did you have the opportunity to ask his workers what kind of salary they made. I bet they aren't receiving the bounty as much as the Gringoes are. I suppose they tell you that the cost is to help the locals. Ask Blue Morpho if you can see the bank account. There is the rub.

Re: Blue Morpho experiences?Mon, May 7, 2007 - 5:55 PM
BlueMorpho Tours, is in my opinion, not worth the investment. I know many people have toured with them and praise them highly. I am very happy for those people and in no way wish for my opinion to take away from theirs. I urge you to make up your own mind if you are considering booking a tour with BlueMorpho. The following is part of my experience with them and the opinions expressed are solely my own:

When I booked my tour with BlueMorpho, their website advertised and still advertises at this writing-"Jungle hikes
Birding
Sport fishing (piranha fishing)
River Swimming
Boat Excursion and Chakra Therapy, Theory, Balancing
Energy Work, Guided Shamanic Journeys and Soul Retrieval
and Walking trails offer our guests a great opportunity of seeing a variety of exotic and colorful wildlife during their stay."

When I was there, none of those activities were offered and a staff member told my group there were "no animals around here". Also, the website states, "Hamilton Souther (owner) leads the shamanic tours." When I was there, Hamilton passed off duties to apprentices, one in particular who, although very nice, seemed completely overwhelmed by the responsibility. This apprentice told my group--over 30 of us--that the Ayahausca we'd drink during the ceremonies would cleanse us through vomit and/or bowel movements, but not to worry because "The Spirits always ensure there is not a line for the bathrooms." When I was there, there was a long line all night. We were told we could call the Shamans mentally and they would come help us during the ceremonies. I tried that. No one came. We were told Hamilton was always available to talk to/counsel us at all times. But we only saw him at meal time and ceremony time. Even while preparing the Ayahausca, he wandered off. I expected that preparation to be treated with reverence and respect. In my opinion, it was not. We were given a "10 minute one on one" session with him in which an apprentice was present. My session was about 5 minutes long during which Hamilton appeared disinterested. He didn't make consistent eye contact, either. After our first ceremony he gathered us in a room to talk about our experience then walked out and left us with his apprentice once again.

My group was not counseled or given much information about what to expect drinking Ayahausca for the first time. In my opinion, we were unprepared. When I was there, Hamilton and his staff seemed very tired and over worked. I asked an apprentice where all the activities were that they advertised and was told, "They all happen naturally during the ceremonies." I spoke to others in my group who were new to BlueMorpho and they were unhappy like me.

I left the tour early--as did at least two others I know of. When I got back to the States, I asked for my money back through the credit card company I paid with. BlueMorho refused for several months telling the credit card company that they would have "negotiated" with me had I gone to them directly. I contacted them and offered to pay for half even though I believed they should refund my money in full. They refused to refund half the money. I implied I would write the Peruvian government and tell them all about my experience with them and then they said would "consult their attorney and accountant" and try to "figure out" a way to refund my money. What Hamilton figured out was a "return of monies" contract he wanted me to sign, have notarized and sent back to him. That contract stated that he would indeed refund my money in full, but I would never be able to speak about him or BlueMorpho not only publicly, but privately as well. I didn't sign.

Although he did apologize once, Hamilton never once acknowledged any of my specific complaints (there were more than I've listed here) even though I quoted him, his staff, and his website when explaining why I wanted a refund. He kept saying, "Amazonian Shamanism is not for everybody." I kept telling him I had no problem with Amazonian Shamanism, but with his tour specifically. I acknowledged that it must be hard to receive negative feedback and told him I sincerely hoped my group was the first and last to experience anything negative. He still never addressed my complaints which included safety issues and fire hazards.

I wish him and BlueMorpho the best. I hope everyone who chooses to go there is happy with their tour. I, however, cannot recommend them in any way. When I went last September, I paid $685.00 and they required a $100.00 deposit for a 6 day tour. They now charge $1640.00 and require a $820.00 deposit and only offer 9 day tours.

Best of luck and much love.

Re: Blue Morpho experiences?Mon, May 7, 2007 - 9:34 PM
Iananna,

I had a strange vibe from Hamilton when I was trying to decide who to work with last fall. His contact person was all happy about what a "good time I'd have" and would not answer deeper questions about their philosophy, etc. When I insisted on contact from Souther, he emailed a very terse and rather pompous announcement of his philosophy and it seemed like I was bothering him. I have heard from others that he seems dedicated to his shamanism, but he's a very young and ego-centered guy who is probably over his head in terms of running a touring business. He does not seem to have the depth of experience or character to actually oversee and guide such a deep, personal, and difficult enterprise.

I ended up working with Howard Lawler at SpiritQuest, and I had the experience you were looking and hoping for. I would highly recommend you work with him and his colleagues for your next trip. They are dedicated, caring, respectful of the vine and those who partake, and generally have the right attitudes for this kind of deep and difficult work. It was the right choice, although I almost didn't make it. Howard's email responses to me were great - deep insights into their philosophy, approach, and practical matters of the travel and environment. We did go on many tours to visit tribes, see Ayahuasca growing wild and collect specimens for use, and we all were a part of the preparations process, etc.

You can check out my entire story and pics at this site if you like:
www.jaguarfeather.com/greenmagic

Best of luck with your BlueMorpho situation, and thanks for sharing your warnings about it. It's hard enough to find authentic practitioners down there without that kind of thing.

Blessings and Light!

Re: Blue Morpho experiences?Tue, May 8, 2007 - 9:01 PM
Iananna, I am really glad you posted. I had a really disappointing experience with Blue Morpho and Hamilton Souther. Their website and the NG article were entirely misleading. During my 1-on-1, I specifically asked him about power animals, the visions I had during my experience, and soul retrieval. He told me that "his lineage" didn't believe power animals meant specific things and could therefore not help me interpret my visions. (Note: In my research, Amazonian shamanism constantly refers to the meanings of specific power animals.) And what "lineage," the lineage of Santa Cruz? I also met the girl who wrote the NG article, which explained everything. She was glassy-eyed and hung onto his every word. It did not appear that he was so inclined, but the whole scenario sure explained the article. If I misinterpreted this exchange, my apologies, but these are my throughts. In my opinion, Blue Morpho was a complete waste of money. Just another enterprising-American cashing in on the local tourism of an aching economy in order to pad his bank account. He was not kind, nor humble, nor reverent. He was late to the ceremony, allowed a woman to take flash pictures of him while we were meditating, and belched into the ayahuasca cups several times. I was disgusted and left early, along with several others. The last thing I expected from a "shaman" was narcissism.
On a kinder note, Don Alberto was the exact opposite of Hamilton. If you speak Spanish, you may have a good experience with D.A., though I'm not sure having to deal with Hamilton would be worth it. I tried to find someone to translate several times, but the staff seems to disappear between meals. Finally, I was able to exchange a few words through one of the other patrons. Don Alberto seemed like a true, dedicated shaman. I can only imagine he teamed up with Hamilton in order to provide for his family. Their price has more than doubled since I went and I feel horrible if anyone has to pay that kind of money for an experience like mine. I've never felt like such a sucker in my life.
~Blessings

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!! PHONY BALONEYMon, June 9, 2008 - 4:16 AM
Hi Iananna, You are absolutely correct in calling this operation on its phoniness. It is nothing more than big business, and Mr. Hamilton is the CEO. There were 30 people there with you? What kind of money do you think that guy is making? He's a real spiritual one, isn't he? The only visions he has in a ceremony are of dollar signs. When are the gullible foreigners going to wake up to the scam? I've been going to Peru for many years, and I have to say this is one of the hokiest operations I have seen. I have seen people sucked into this b.s. to the point of hero worship, and believe me, it makes me more nauseated than any ayahuasca I have ever drunk. Don't lose heart though. Try to be more assertive in you evaluation when you speak with people. Next time avoid these con artists. YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!

Re: Blue Morpho experiences?Thu, May 10, 2007 - 12:04 AM
I was there about a year ago and found the ayahuasca expereince itself to be a good experience but, really that is due more to the fact that I became disillussioned or less naieve about others helping me and was forced to take power into my own hands and heal myself(with help from God and the Universe and my Family). There was a vibe there that felt really wierd to me, kind of more like a high school party or something than a place focused on seriousness. The national geographic story desctibing it was just that, a story, I don't feel it was accurate or objective. There were some safety concerns regarding general health, it also felt a little cultish at one point. I still appreciate my time there though despite all the concerns and complaints I have. I've had countless drug experiences(sober for a year and a half now though) but 've only had two ayahuasca experiences(both there) and they were both very powerful and different from each other, I would like to try it again when I'm ready if thats what fate has in store for me but I will defiantely be going somewhere else. If anyone knows of psychologists that use it in conjunction with "Western therapy" that would be really nice, I'm a fan of Leary/Metzner/Aplert(Ram Dass) model of psychedelics. A very respectable established master shaman reccomendation would also be appreciated.

Cultlike??? BOY, DO YOU HAVE THEIR NUMBER.Mon, June 9, 2008 - 4:27 AM
Unsu, you are also correct in pointing out that there is a cultlike atmosphere there. My take on the people I have seen involved with Blue Morpho is that they are rather weak-minded, with a strong desire to be followers, or either they are very new to ayahuasca and need direction. These are the people Souther focuses on. I know one guy in particular who was like a lost child (although he was well into his 30's) before he met Souther. After he met him, he changed completely; he portrayed Hamilton as if he were an incarnation of Christ. It made me nauseated. I hope you have no fear in spreading your opinion, because to me it is very accurate.