Author Topic: NANCY hess OMAHA BOY phd  (Read 4973 times)

Offline dabosijigwokush

NANCY hess OMAHA BOY phd
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~omaha/NAI/Course_Outline.html

http://www.cftc.gov/files/enf/05orders/enfequityfinancialnancymahaboysresponse.pdf

We're having class this Friday, August 26th at 7:00pm.  Please come and hear NANCY OMAHA BOY for PART 2 of her Native American Indian presentation.  She'll also be speaking on some other Spiritual topics.

Bring a snack, etc. to share with others.  thanks, 

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: NANCY hess OMAHA BOY phd
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:52:36 am »
I'm not sure what's being asked or why she's listed here. A professor is giving a lecture, and apparently is suing an investment firm that she argues defrauded her. No sign of ceremony selling. Is she accused of lecturing on something improper, or not being who she claims?

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »
Nancy Hess (Omaha Boy) of Paris, France currently in Reading, PA
how does one become qualified, to teach native history, stories

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:25:40 pm »
how does one become qualified, to teach native history, stories

I have also done classes and seminars, both for youths and grown-ups, on ndn history, although of course in my country where it isn't as easy to hire an ndn teacher/prof for such events. I also do not see why white persons may not teach ndn history, as long as facts are being taught. Not all of us happen to be racist idiots and arseholes, you know  ;D. If and when a white prof merely repeats BS presented from a 'manifest destiny' or white supremacy point of view, this will be quite a different kettle of fish. However, from the first link you provided I do get the impression that NHOB is speaking brass tacks in class:

COURSE GOALS

1. To enable students to describe the general culture of historic Indians of geographical sections of the US and Canada, noting gross similarities and differences in dress, custom, social structure and religion.

2. To enable students to demonstrate the differences and similarities between tribes, the jostling that took place among them during the European invasion and their response to dominant culture demands, which became their histories.

3. To enable students to demonstrate the difference between American Indians and the dominant culture in their value of land, animals, resources, and people with the resulting effects on American Indians including the current problems in the US and Canada.

4. To examine the evidence of genocide perpetrated by another people and its government and the pathos, courage and spiritual fortitude it takes to endure.

5. To instill in students an interest in continuing to learn about American Indians.

PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES

Students will be able to:

1. Identify the major areas of white encroachment upon the North American continent, the effect on native residents of the area and who was involved.

2. Chronicle the movement of whites and countermovements of the Indians throughout the East from 1600-1840, listing the changes to their value systems, food sources, family and cultural traditions.

3. Present the major ideas of whites that influenced their opinions and behaviors towards Indians.

4. List the major movements of Indians as immigrants pushed west of the Mississippi from 1800 through the early 1900s. Use examples of specific tribes, analyzing the skills of prominent Indian defenders.

5. Given a map of North America showing only rivers and mountains, correctly place a list of 30 tribes with sketches of food sources, housing, and clothing types.

6. Given the following list of conflicts, identify the area of the country, the tribes involved and the effects on them for King Phillip’s War, the French and Indian War, the War of 1812, the Trail of Tears, Black Hawk’s War, the undeclared war of extermination against the western Plains tribes, the Gold Rush massacres, the Long Walk and the Wounded Knee Stand-off of 1973.

7. Give examples of the general differences between white and Indian attitudes toward the Earth, plants, animals, etc. regarding its role in life and in religion.

8. Describe the general evolution of the American government’s policy toward the Indians to the present.

9. Identify by tribe and describe by contribution the following people:
King Phillip    Tecumseh    Geronimo    Sitting Bull
Squantum    Pontiac    Quanah Parker    Crazy Horse
Deganawidah    Sequoia    Capt. Jack    Wovoka
Hiawatha    Black Hawk    Ishi    Sacajawea
Pocohantas    Osceola    Pope    Chief Joseph
Standing Bear    Chief Seattle    Russell Means    Dennis Banks
Leonard Peltier    Ada Deer         

10. Given any reference tools the student considers necessary and the assistance of peers, the student will compose a 5-6 page paper about a chosen Indian tribe noting its language, cultural type, social structure, lifestyle, religious beliefs,and customs complete with footnotes and bibliography.

11. Given any reference tools necessary and the assistance of peers, the student will make a one class period presentation as part of their group by region.

I also found this review which unfortunately I cannot open:

Overturning the Burdens of the Real
by C Samson - 1999
Rutgers University named Nancy Omaha Boy, once herself a resident of Pine. Ridge, having been married to a Lakota.  ...
www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09528829908576808

As NHOB used to live on Pine Ridge, one may say she's somewhat more qualified than I am  ;).

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »
thank you for the input, i just might go if i can find out where?