Odds and Ends > Comedy Channel

Nuagespeak to Plain English Dictionary

<< < (4/12) > >>

Barnaby_McEwan:
Following on from Annika's suggestions:

Nuagespeak: 'Me'.
Plain English: the centre of the universe.

Nuagespeak: 'Respect'.
Plain English: this word has two meanings in Nuagespeak.
     1. Idealising Indians and other 'primitive' people, which as Alice Beck Kehoe points out , "... is no less dehumanizing and disrespectful than demonizing them as bloodthirsty savages' (Kehoe, 'Shamans and Religion', p. 102. See 'Shamanic Journey' for full citation).
     2. Subservient, non-critical attitude to nuagers' appropriation of Indian spiritual practices. For example: 'I had hoped we could have a respectful conversation.'
This means: 'You disagreed with me and I cannot tolerate that. I will remain in this huffy state until you back down. If you continue to disagree with me I will throw an almighty hissy-fit.'

vikinglady:
*Exactly* what I tried to say....:D

THANKS, Barnaby!  

Annika

JosephSWM:
"All My Relations". You can hear nuagers yell this at times. It means "Let me out of here, its too hot" and the reply should be "Hey, I haven't even poured the water yet".

Barnaby_McEwan:
Nuagespeak: 'Non-Ordinary reality'. Term coined by Michael Harner, anthropologist turned snake-oil salesman, for the world of spirits that students of his 'core shamanism' suppposedly learn to travel in.

Plain English: A spiritual version of Disneyland: expensive, cheesy, populated by cartoon creatures (see 'Power Animal'). Unlike at the real Disneyland, the men who conduct tourists around the Non-Ordinary reality are allowed facial hair.

educatedindian:
Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to send around an email with a full list for everyone who contributed, or just wants one.

And they just keep on coming:

“Adopted Lakota???- 1) A Nuage leader claiming to be a shaman and selling dubious ceremonies for profit because he saw a sweatlodge once, or briefly spoke to an actual Lakota elder who felt sorry for him being so spiritually lost. 2) A person who repays the kindness of an actual Lakota elder who felt sorry for them being so spiritually lost by claiming to be a shaman and selling dubious ceremonies for profit.
Note: May soon outnumber actual Lakotas.

“Spiritual Tourism???- When Nuagers travel to Latin America to pay large sums of cash for dubious ceremonies because: A) They’ve seen American Indians do things like drive cars and use computers, and they want a fantasy of Indians as still living in the past. B) Native protests of pseudo-shamans in the US spoil the fantasy for them. C) They know even less about Latin American Indians than they do about the ones at home, so nonsense like “Four Agreements??? or “Cosmic Convergence??? seems believable to them. D) They are unable to tell the difference between a mestizo and an Indian. Or E) All of the above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version