Author Topic: Alert on Brooke Medicne EGO  (Read 12586 times)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Alert on Brooke Medicne EGO
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:30:04 am »
Daffyd posted this on the nafps yahoogroup:

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=63

"Being Indian is an attitude, a state of mind, a way of being in harmony with all things and all beings. It is allowing the heart to be the distributor of energy on this planet, to allow feelings and sensitivities to determine where energy goes, bringing aliveness up from the Earth and from the Sky, putting it in and giving it out from the heart."
Brooke Medicine Eagle

His suggestion was to call them and complain about the use of this frauds quote on an official government webpage:
Committee On Natural Resources :: 1324 Longworth Building :: Washington, DC 20515 :: t:202-225-6065 :: f:202-225-1931

frederica

Re: Alert on Brooke Medicne EGO
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:57:14 am »
This is the committe recommending change in the recognition process. It involves H.R. 2837. A yes vote changes the process. Considering who they have picked to quote, it seems they know very little about about NDNS.

Offline two shadows

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:15:15 pm »
hello everyone,
this is my first post so be kind *smile*

I am just now learning about the frauds and plastic shamen out there..
I dont know Brooke Medicine Eagle, and in fact he very well may be a fraud
(I take it from the reaction here that he /she is). Although I personally
 am not sure about all the new age-ish references to earth energy etc..and bringing "aliveness"

I guess..I am just saying that truth is truth..even if it is spoken by a liar.

----------------

I decided at the last minute to add this..perhaps it may explain where I am coming from
I am the typical american shorthaired mixbreed..I am seeking an identity for myself and
I dont have the right to call myself a cherokee anymore than I do to call myself a celt even though I have ancestors from both groups..along with choctaw, welsh, Sikh,
shawnee, and french.

but I am studying the language and trying to learn..because I do believe that
this study is somehow making me more whole. I guess I just liked the first sentence of
his quote "Being Indian is an attitude, a state of mind, a way of being in harmony with all things and all beings,,

donadagohunee

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:57 am »
Brooke Edwards aka Brooke Medicine Eagle is a bonafide fraud. She has a big ol ranch in Montana where she fleeces gullible white women into believing they are learning Indian secrets. We have a thread on her. You can find her by using the search feature.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:38:10 pm »
That somone who is otherwise a contemptible fraud said something that may be valid doesn't make the statement less true. I don't think she's actually the first one to say that. It's the way she spins the statment that makes it offensive for her to say it.

The first time I heard the statement (not sure from who) I remmeber thinking they were saying that blood alone did not make you NDN. In other words, do something for your people, stand with them. But coming from her, it comes across as meaning that any Nuager can play NDN and somehow actually be an NDN.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 02:40:25 pm »
At its National Leadership Conference in 1984, AIM passed a resolution indicating the will of the elders would be implemented. Specifically mentioned in the AIM resolution were “Sun Bear and the so-called Bear Tribe Medicine Society” and “Wallace Black Elk and [the late] Grace Spotted Eagle of Denver, Colorado,” as well as others like Cyfus McDonald, Brook Medicine Eagle (spelled “Ego” in the resolution), Osheana Fast Wolf and a corporation dubbed “Vision Quest.” Others, such as Dyhani Ywahoo, Rolling Thunder, and “Beautiful Painted Arrow” have been subsequently added to the list.

As Russell Means put it at the time, “These people have insisted upon making themselves pariahs within their own communities, and they will have to bear the consequences of that. As to white people who think it’s cute, or neat or groovy or keen to hook up with plastic medicine men, to subsidize and promote them, and claim you and they have some fundamental ‘right’ to desecrate our spiritual traditions, I’ve got a piece of news for you. You have no such right. Our religions are ours. Period. We have very strong reasons for keeping certain things private, whether you understand them or not. And we have every human right to deny them to you, whether you like it or not.

“You can either respect our basic rights or not respect them,” Means went on. “If you do, you’re an ally and we’re ready and willing to join hands with you on other issues. If you do not, you are at best a thief. More importantly, you are a thief of the sort who is willing to risk undermining our sense of the integrity of our cultures for your own perceived self-interest. That means are you complicit in a process of cultural genocide, or at least attempted cultural genocide, aimed at American Indian people. That makes you an enemy, to say the least. And believe me when I say we’re prepared to deal with you as such.” Almost immediately, the Colorado AIM chapter undertook a confrontation with Sun Bear in the midst of a $500-per-head, weekend-long “spiritual retreat” being conducted near the mountain town of Granby. The action provoked the following endorsement from the normally more staid NIYC:
The National Indian Youth Council fully supports your efforts to denounce, embarrass, disrupt, or otherwise run out of Colorado, the Medicine Wheel Gathering ... For too long the Bear Tribe Medicine Society has been considered a repugnant but harmless to Indian people. We believe they not only line their pockets but do great damage to all of us. Any-thing you can do to them will not be enough.

The Colorado AIM action, and the strength of indigenous support it received, resulted in a marked diminishment of Sun Bear’s reliance upon the state as a source of revenue. Since then, AIM has aligned itself solidly and consistently with indigenous traditionalism, criticizing Sun Bear and others of his ilk in public fashion, and occasion-ally physically disrupting their activities in locations as diverse as Denver and Atlanta. Those who wish to assist in this endeavor should do so by denouncing plastic medicine folk wherever they appear, organizing pro-active boycotts of their events, and demanding that local bookstores stop carrying titles, not only by Sun Bear and his non-Indian sidekick “Wabun,” but charlatans like Castaneda, Highwater, Andrews and Storm as well. Use your imagination as to how to get the job done in your area, but make it stick. You should also be aware that Sun Bear and others have increasingly aligned themselves with such non-Indian support groups as local police departments, calling upon them to protect him from “Indian interference” with his unauthorized sale of Indian spirituality.
Living that life, some consider a Myth!

Offline Sparks

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:04:45 am »
At its National Leadership Conference in 1984, AIM passed a resolution indicating the will of the elders would be implemented. Specifically mentioned in the AIM resolution were “Sun Bear and the so-called Bear Tribe Medicine Society” and “Wallace Black Elk and [the late] Grace Spotted Eagle of Denver, Colorado,” as well as others like Cyfus McDonald, Brook Medicine Eagle (spelled “Ego” in the resolution), Osheana Fast Wolf and a corporation dubbed “Vision Quest.” Others, such as Dyhani Ywahoo, Rolling Thunder, and “Beautiful Painted Arrow” have been subsequently added to the list.

As Russell Means put it at the time, “These people have insisted upon making themselves pariahs within their own communities, and they will have to bear the consequences of that. As to white people who think it’s cute, or neat or groovy or keen to hook up with plastic medicine men, to subsidize and promote them, and claim you and they have some fundamental ‘right’ to desecrate our spiritual traditions, I’ve got a piece of news for you. You have no such right. Our religions are ours. Period. We have very strong reasons for keeping certain things private, whether you understand them or not. And we have every human right to deny them to you, whether you like it or not.

“You can either respect our basic rights or not respect them,” Means went on. “If you do, you’re an ally and we’re ready and willing to join hands with you on other issues. If you do not, you are at best a thief. More importantly, you are a thief of the sort who is willing to risk undermining our sense of the integrity of our cultures for your own perceived self-interest. That means are you complicit in a process of cultural genocide, or at least attempted cultural genocide, aimed at American Indian people. That makes you an enemy, to say the least. And believe me when I say we’re prepared to deal with you as such.” Almost immediately, the Colorado AIM chapter undertook a confrontation with Sun Bear in the midst of a $500-per-head, weekend-long “spiritual retreat” being conducted near the mountain town of Granby. The action provoked the following endorsement from the normally more staid NIYC:
The National Indian Youth Council fully supports your efforts to denounce, embarrass, disrupt, or otherwise run out of Colorado, the Medicine Wheel Gathering ... For too long the Bear Tribe Medicine Society has been considered a repugnant but harmless to Indian people. We believe they not only line their pockets but do great damage to all of us. Any-thing you can do to them will not be enough.

The Colorado AIM action, and the strength of indigenous support it received, resulted in a marked diminishment of Sun Bear’s reliance upon the state as a source of revenue. Since then, AIM has aligned itself solidly and consistently with indigenous traditionalism, criticizing Sun Bear and others of his ilk in public fashion, and occasion-ally physically disrupting their activities in locations as diverse as Denver and Atlanta. Those who wish to assist in this endeavor should do so by denouncing plastic medicine folk wherever they appear, organizing pro-active boycotts of their events, and demanding that local bookstores stop carrying titles, not only by Sun Bear and his non-Indian sidekick “Wabun,” but charlatans like Castaneda, Highwater, Andrews and Storm as well. Use your imagination as to how to get the job done in your area, but make it stick. You should also be aware that Sun Bear and others have increasingly aligned themselves with such non-Indian support groups as local police departments, calling upon them to protect him from “Indian interference” with his unauthorized sale of Indian spirituality.

The above quote was posted with no comments, no links and no references as to who wrote it.

I found it more than one place on the net, and I'll quote just one of them. All of the quote is part of an essay by Russel Ward republished here:

Cultural Survival Quarterly Magazine
SPIRITUAL HUCKSTERISM:THE RISE OF THE PLASTIC MEDICINE MEN

June 2003
Author: Ward Churchill
[Long essay; including the above quote]
Editor’s note: This essay was originally published by Z Magazine in December 1990. It was subsequently collected in Ward Churchill’s From a Native Son: Selected Essays in Indigenism, 1985-1995. (Boston: South End Press, 1996).
Ward Churchill (Keetoowah Band Cherokee) is professor of American Indian studies and chair of the department of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado-Boulder.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:17:44 am »
All of the quote is part of an essay by Russel Ward republished here …

Sorry! Not Russel Ward, but Ward Churchill, as my quote shows.

He has his own thread in the forum: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1632.0

Offline Sparks

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 07:19:24 am »
[Long quote from Ward Churchill]

I wonder why White Horse posted this a week ago, in a thread that had been dead for eleven years. He just posted an anonymous quote with no comments, no links and no references as to who wrote it. Is there something that is obvious to the veterans of NAFPS, while I cannot understand why?

I will be back with comments on the original topic of October 2, 2007, which I find quite interesting.