Author Topic: thin blood  (Read 26499 times)

Offline MatoSiWin

Re: thin blood
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 12:21:37 am »
Yes, I agree.  I find that confusing as well. 

A little about me:
All of my confirmed biological non-Indian grandparents were second generation American immigrations, so aside from my mother's father, my lineage is easy.  1/4 Irish (my dad's mother's parents were from Ireland), 1/4 French (my dad's father's parents were from France).  1/4 Jewish - My mother was adopted by white people, but we do know her biological mother's parents were Jewish immigrants.  I am in the process of filing the paperwork to obtain her adoption records to confirm the identity of her father.  The wife of her adopted mother's brother was a close friend of the biological mother, and told my mother (and later told me) that my mom's biological mother had confided in her that the father was American Indian (she told her he was a Sioux).  But like I said, I am seeking to confirm this.

I never had any Irish people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional Irish food, teach me to speak Irish, tell me about Irish history and the Irish culture.
I never had any French people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional French cuisine, teach me to speak French, tell me about French history and the french culture.
I never had Jewish people take me in, provide me shelter, feed me traditional Jewish food, teach me to speak Hebrew, tell me about Jewish history and the Jewish culture and beliefs.
BUT, I did have several wonderful NDNs (Yankton and Oglala, but not at the same time) take me in, provide me shelter and clothing, feed me (sometimes traditional food, sometimes just ramen noodles and powdered milk... but always enough to keep me from feeling hunger pains), taught me some of the language so I could truly understand the messages they were giving me, taught me about the history and culture of who I have believed to be my grandfather's people since I can remember. 

So yes, I have an equal number of ancestors from four distinct cultures (providing the adoption records confirm what we have been told).  I do not wish to deny, ignore, or disrespect my Irish, French, or German (Jewish) ancestry.  But I have had much more experience with those who I call my family, those who did the things that family does, those who cared for me and nurtured me, and taught me to have good character, no matter who my grandparents were.  Those who stepped up and loved me when there was no one else.  (In my other relatives' defense, they did not know me.  The people who adopted my mother took custody of me for a while when I was little, and effectively kept my biological father and all his family away from me.  I didn't know them, and I didn't know my mom's biological family since she was from a closed adoption).  So if it weren't for those who stepped up and loved me, I would have had no one at all.  They will always be my closest relations.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:20:04 pm by MatoSiWin »

Offline Rattlebone

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 08:35:49 pm »
As long as they welcome me, that's just fine :)  I live to make them proud... ALL of them. 

Good answer. I find it strange when someone with a drop or two of Native blood, concentrates on that part of their ancestry and forgets about all the other drops that make up who they are. To me, this shows disrespect to all your ancestors.

Well I both agree, and disagree with you on this point.

If somebody has never lived in a Native community, is not culturally native, and/or is highly mixed sure it would bring one to question why they would chose to search out that part of them and possibly claim it while ignoring the rest of their ancestry. Then again I don't think it is mine or anyone else's decision to dictate what path another person choses to walk on. If their reasons are not bad ones then I feel no need to intrude on that decision if it is being done in a good way.

However let's take a look at the hypothetical 1/4 by blood person I mentioned. What if they grew up their entire lives in a NDN community/Rez etc and has been raised in their tribal culture. If they were raised in only that culture and that was their identity since birth why would they need to go out find out about other "ancestries?"  Race and culture aren't things that are not always so easily defined by physical appearance or things such as BQ. If they felt no need whatsoever to search out other things, then I would see no reason for them to do so.

Also on the same thought process for the most point in let's say the Euro American society there is no really culture. Most came here and replaced their ethnic identity with the word "white" and with mixing with other "whites," over time forgot and lost who they really were.

So let's say this 1/4 person has Scottish ancestry. Considering there really isn't much of a traditional Scottish community here, how exactly would one expect them to learn to be Scottish? Should they go spend some time in Scottland, read some books, and attend some highland games here in the states? To me doing such things is not much different then what the nuage, twinkies, and people with those ggggg grandmother Cherokee princess stories do?

How about an historical figure such as Quanah parker who was half white and half Comanche? As far as I know, and I could be wrong; he didn't ever try and find out about his white culture did he? What he did do was live as a Comanche, and fought hard for his people for as long as he could. By doing so was he disrespecting his ancestors?

I myself am a mixed person, and that is something that I have no choice but to acknowledge. The thing, is that does not mean that my identity must be "mixed" as well. I do not beleive in mixing cultural ways any more then I believe in mixing tribal ways. To me it both things seem rather nuage and twinkie. That is because doing such things will often lead a person to only do things that "they like," instead of doing them correctly.  Those are often the things I think lead some down the road to be nuage and ultimately exploitation of one or both ways.

Sure they should be proud of all that they are, but it does not mean they must live as both even if others think that they should.

To me being NDN has so very much to do with being part of an NDN community, and being recognized by them as such. Everything else such as BQ, skin tone, status etc means almost nothing as long as you are part of, and accepted in the NDN community.

Then of course my question about what happens to the 1/4 person when they die was a sort of way to illustrate just how much the concept of BQ, and thin blood I believe is Euro based concept more so then it shall ever, or should ever be a NDN one.

Offline nawnaw

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »
You talk of the trials the full blood indian has but reverse it. I was raised on the rez but my hair is gold, my skin is light. I fought everyone growing up. But it taught me that I am strong and no longer do others words hurt me. I say all indians, full & mixed have a hard road to follow and we should not fight amongst ourselves. We are indian some are lighter and some are darker but we all have our beliefs in our hearts.

Offline CosmicOppossum

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 04:38:27 am »
This topic is a painful one and painful for folks on all sides of the argument.
in general I agree that the person should have NDN DNA, have social and political connections with NDNs and have NDN family members. I've got all that.
   But what do I say to my FBI AThabascan friend who was adopted away from his family and when he returned to Alaska found that his relatives were either, dead or born again Christians? He's not sure if he is an NDN!
    What so I say to someone who knows they have the DNA. but no ther tiesand dearly wants to understand a part of themselves.
     In the latter case I tell them to volunteer to work with an NDN non-profit. A real one, perhaps a food pantry or a diabetes awareness group. If they show themselves to be good honest humans, would it hurt to teach them to make fry bread? Should they learn to pray in the way of their Nation? Where is the cut-off?
   Sadly there are no easy answers.
Cosmic Oppossum
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and worries the pig!

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:53 pm »
If people have been adopted out which is a part of our history
they still belong to the tribe but they are not native.

They will have to learn their culture again.

The way to do that is go and live among your people again.

Making fry bread has nothing to do with native people.
It is a type of bread they learned how to make when the
government gave them rations.

Most non-profit but all are run by wannabes.

It is hard to understand by I know this

If you people acknowledge you then you belong.
Adopted people always belong back to their people
but that is a choice.

We have light skin blur eyed native here on nthe rez
and they are Indian.
In Spirit