Author Topic: YouTube - Shameons promoting themselves  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
YouTube - Shameons promoting themselves
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:36:28 am »
There are more offensive videos than I can begin to list, but here are two that were linked from the Plastic Shamans documentary (which I listed under Good Videos).

"Queer Spirit Retreat": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwg4nNRxW00

While I'm all for any oppressed group getting together and working their issues out, they don't have to do it at the expense of NDNs. This video, and their website, shows a bunch of non-Natives (mostly white dudes) talking about their use of "Native American Ceremonies" (including sweat lodge) at their for-pay retreats.

This one, "The Celtic Shaman" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffVXP-9B1rc is really horrible.

It's the Celtique Shameon. I am so f-ing sick of these white people ripping off NDN ceremonies, and thinking that if they call it "Celtic" no one will call them on it. It's disgusting. This guy has a bunch of white people banging on drums and shaking rattles in a teepee, in that famous from all the westerns 1234 rhythm, imitating NDN songs. I'm just nauseous after watching this one.

frederica

Re: YouTube - Shameons promoting themselves
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:51:36 am »
I think the bottom line on all of these people, is that they charge big fees.  I hope that is not a plastic tarp on that sweat lodge, now that is pretty dangerous. They do not know the languages, therefore they do not know the songs, it's just noise.  But it does make you wonder why they use the symbols with any knowledge. I think it's all about money and  perception of power.

Offline Prairie Fairy

• Political Blog
Re: YouTube - Shameons promoting themselves
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:14:32 pm »
The first video also reflects a problem within the Gay community, namely the most class privileged members making it a kind of debutante clique while the majority of people suffering from homo- and queer phobia are suffering in isolation.

My ancestors were once oppressed by debt, but now I've liberated them by pimping out their image for profit. Ain't America grand!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:37:44 pm by Prairie Fairy »